Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop specs for Computer Science

Options
  • 04-09-2015 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

I'll be starting Computer Science and Business in a couple of weeks and I need to get a laptop. I'll be moving to Dublin so I won't have access to a home PC or anything while in Dublin. This laptop will be where I'll do all my coursework (apart from the labs).

I was wondering what sort of specs I should be looking at. I would be hoping that this laptop would last me the 4 years, so it should be able to handle anything I'd be doing in the 4th year project etc.

Ideally I'd like to keep below €500-600.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tzashi

You can code on anything really, as long as it can run a text editor, but for compiling the better the cpu the faster it will compile but i cant see that being a problem in college

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ididthemathtom

Idk how it'd work for your specific course, but the Lenovo ThinkPad has very good specs for its price and is what I plan to get. It's 550 right now on Komplett, dropped down from 600, and Komplett is a reliable company too so that's another plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Tzashi wrote: »
    You can code on anything really, as long as it can run a text editor, but for compiling the better the cpu the faster it will compile but i cant see that being a problem in college

So there won't be any heavy programs towards 3rd/4th year that'll NEED a very good cpu/ a lot of ram?

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/pd?oc=cn55804&model_id=inspiron-15-5558-laptop

I was thinking of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tzashi

That would be more than enough! that will easily last you.

Advertisement