Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching English--don't want to charge

Options
  • 24-01-2015 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Probably not the right forum, so feel free to move.

Today my work colleague who is Polish asked me if I would help her learn English. I agreed (coz I love languages! and Polish-I try to learn a little!) and (she had asked another girl in work who agreed, then after a week, said she couldn't teach her)

So she says, is 10euro per hour enough? I said, no way, I'm not helping you if you are going to charge me..but she is insisting.

I really want to help her, but I don't want to get paid for it. I'm not qualified, so it'd be so informal. I said, you can pay me with cups of tea and she is adamant that she will pay me with money.

How can I compromise? I don't want money, but I want to help her. Also, I said, sure I'd be learning Polish in return so it's a win win. And I said, you're a friend, I don't want your money. She won't let me help her unless she pays me. She has a house and a family to run. I don't have commitments so I don't need the money. If anything, it gets me out of the house (when I'm not working)

Any suggestions/compromises?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Take it off her every week and then give her back a lump sum in a few months. That would be a fabulous surprise her.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Its a Polish thing. We like to pay or give something in return. Since she really wants to learn English, and you probably will waste time learning Polish, which she is aware, she just want to be even.
    Since as you said she has family, cant afford to pay more than 10€, I think you should take it, and you will be even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

twinsen wrote: »
    Its a Polish thing. We like to pay or give something in return. Since she really wants to learn English, and you probably will waste time learning Polish, which she is aware, she just want to be even.
    Since as you said she has family, cant afford to pay more than 10€, I think you should take it, and you will be even.

See she's wants to do 2 hours per day, 2 days per week, which is 40euro. That's a lot of money!

No I'd like to learn Polish properly..or at least have a good working knowledge. I already know quite a few phrases and words (just basic ones).

I just think 10euro is too much. She said her friend gets proper lessons and it costs her 15euro per hour :O

But I just want to do it for the love of the language, not money :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As someone else suggested, take the money and save it. You could both get a cheap flight to lovely Gdansk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

a good bottle of polish vodka as payment seems to do with the polish i no... the hate taking things for free
    if she buys it in poland its cheap for her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

give that money to Polish charity eg. WOSP http://en.wosp.org.pl/

Advertisement