Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Too soon for another dog?

• 17-01-2011 9:17pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

We've got a four month old pup at the moment and though there's almost always one of us around or i take him to work with me, we've been talking about getting him a companion. We're considering a rescue dog and recently met a beautiful GSD bitch looking for a new home. What I'm wondering is whether its too early to get a second dog? Especially as the GSD is about two/three years old. Our fella's met plenty of dogs of all shapes and sizes alread (met an adult GSD today and had great fun playing with him) and we had been discussing getting a second dog anyway during the summer.

Anyone any opinion on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I like to leave a four year gap between dogs but would recommend at least two.
    Personally I find a dog needs your full attention for the first two years especially when they reach those teenage, rebellious months. Take the 2 years to get your first dog right, then you will be in a much better position to bring a new dog into your home, your first dog will be settled and leave you more time to give your new dog the one on one attention it will undoubtably need, just my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I got my chap at 6 months and then got my 2nd dog 4 months later! When I got the first guy we did training classes together and he really loved being around other dogs! He had no one to play with due to his size and breed and was really so clingy , he wouldnt even play in the garden unless I was physically out there with him so 4 months later I got my little girl and we havnt looked back! He was 10 months old all the basic training was out of the way and then she rocked up and peed everywhere :D!! There are best friends and spend hours running and playing WWF in the back garden best decision I ever made! They compliment each other in every way and are like chalk and cheese but it just seems to work!! I think its great for dogs to have a doggie pal there is about 9 months between my 2 and I love that they will grow together on the same wave lenght and always have each other!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I think I might get onto one of the shelters and do a bit of fostering for them again, see how he gets on with a second dog in the house. My own fella is already housetrained and has basic obedience down so hopefully he wont forget them

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

lrushe wrote: »
    I like to leave a four year gap between dogs but would recommend at least two.
    :)

:eek: That's a huge amount of time. I think half the fun is watching them play together and learn together. Your dog would be past a lot of those stages if you waited 4 years for your second, 8 years for your third etc.

I dont really want to wait too long because I dont want him to be possessive over me if we bring in a second dog.

• Advertisement

Shanao, in my opinion, sounds like you're ready.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Mine have never been pre planned. Dogs are so adaptable provided that we give them the chance to get to know each other their way. I literally took my two for a walk, found an abandoned pup & bought it home. There was no time for introductions or separation. At 7.00pm my two were on their bed & at 8.00pm they were sharing it with the pup. I have several occasions when I have been driving with the dogs in the car & I have had to put a totally strange dog in the back.

I love the way that they learn from each other. I ensure that they all get attention & there is no jealousy. I would go for it. If you are chilled then they will be. Obviously you will need to be around for a while but the key is not to intervene too much. You may well end up with an older GSD that behaves like a pup & a pup that learns from the GSD.

Thanks guys, like I said though I think I'll do a bit of fostering first to see how it goes. The pup is very easygoing so things should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

:eek: That's a huge amount of time. I think half the fun is watching them play together and learn together. Your dog would be past a lot of those stages if you waited 4 years for your second, 8 years for your third etc.

I have 3 dogs, oldest will be 10 in April, middle was 5 in September and the youngest is a year and a half. My 10 year old is as young and full of energy as he was when he was a year old, he is well able for the younger dog, in fact having a younger dog around is keeping him young.
    See below:

Dogs 02.12.10.jpg

Cleo&Brook Wrestling 13.02.10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

we got our second dog when the first was only 5months old. she was about 8months old.
    they get on so well, they're like chalk and cheese inways, he has bundles of energy and wants to be out all the time, she's much more relaxed and quiet placid but she's well able to put him in his place if he's annoying her!

fostering first is a great idea. that way you can see if they get on well and make sure you supervise them for the first few days

let them meet on nuetral ground, although at that age they wouldn't be too territorial
    bring your dog to the rescue with you and bring the two of them for a walk

treat them equally and let them suss each other out, don't rush them

tell the rescue you want to foster with a view to adopting, that way if it doesn't work out there'll be no hard feelings on any side

Best of luck:)

• Advertisement

lrushe wrote: »
    I have 3 dogs, oldest will be 10 in April, middle was 5 in September and the youngest is a year and a half. My 10 year old is as young and full of energy as he was when he was a year old, he is well able for the younger dog, in fact having a younger dog around is keeping him young.
    See below:

Dogs 02.12.10.jpg

Cleo&Brook Wrestling 13.02.10.jpg

Never thought of it like that. Your dogs are beautiful.:)

Advertisement