Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about extending Broadband

• 02-07-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

I have some questions about extending an existing Broadband connection from an existing small business to the business owners house and I hope you can help.
    The exiting Broadband is with (formally O2) so I guess it is Three now. He is getting this upgraded to Fiber and an unlimited package soon.
    His house is no more than 150 - 200 meters away from the business and he has line of site from the roof of business to roof of his home.
    I was looking at a wireless point to point kit - as i thought this would be an extension of an existing connection.

My questions are:
    1 - will I be able to extend the existing broadband using the "Three" Fiber optic modem, while still serving wireless broadband in the business?
    2- Do I need to bridge this unit or just attach the point to point equipment on a LAN port?

I don't want to extend his wireless signal as its a built up area. The kit is 2.4Ghz.

thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a 5Ghz P2P, 2.4 might run into problems in a built up area.

O2->Three = Eircom. But that doesnt matter, you will be able to extend it.

What you want:
    Three Router in Business
    P2P link to home
    2nd Router in Home

The business will likely be on 192.168.1.0, you want to put the house on another subnet such as 192.168.2.0 so so that you dont send needless amounts of traffic across the link (you can do DHCP within the home).

Also, if the business is a pub or cafe or guest house then invest in a captive portal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Thank you very much ED E.

Advertisement