Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howto unlock your Eircom F1000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

This is kind of off topic but I was wondering if there is a free service i could use to keep my ip address updated on my unlocked F1000 router.

I am using smartdnsproxy, is there anything i could run on the F1000 to keep my ip up to date with that service do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

What, when did I question any of that? I questioned the reported attainable figure, I'd love to put my Megger meter on it because one or both of the before/after attainable figures is wrong. Not at all knocking your achievements btw

Would the updated firmware of the modem not just do a better job of the vectoring/G.vector for the connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Would the updated firmware of the modem not just do a better job of the vectoring/G.vector for the connection?

I don't see how, vectoring is applied to the whole cab, not individual connections. It's the coordination of line signals to reduce crosstalk

I don't see how, vectoring is applied to the whole cab, not individual connections. It's the coordination of line signals to reduce crosstalk

While a cab has to have vectoring enabled, each line negotiates the line rate as the modem brings up the connection. Each line is different. Different lengths and different environmental factors causing cross tall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Okay I've everything bought and en route to me. I've downloaded all the necessary software and started but as I've little experience in puttytel it will be a learning curve, one which I look forward to. Just to speed things along does anyone have the setting for the putty tel other than the baud/parity that are needed. If not I can do my research and publish it here later. I have both ExtraPutty and Kitty. Anyway looking forward to it once it starts.

W

• Advertisement

Just completed the unlocking of the F1000 - sync speeds look kinda the same as before, but lets give it a few days.

Hi Dermot, apologies in advance for what is going to be a complete noob question. Do you need the ethernet cable to upgrade the modem or can it all be done with the USB-TTL cable?

Thx,
    W

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Hi Dermot, apologies in advance for what is going to be a complete noob question. Do you need the ethernet cable to upgrade the modem or can it all be done with the USB-TTL cable?

Thx,
    W

Hi Wayne,

strictly speaking you can use the USB-TTL cable only. That would involve sending the new ZyXel firmware, as well as the boot loader, over the USB-TTL cable. The firmware is fairly large and takes the best part of half an hour to send that way.

Therefore, once you have flashed the bootloader, I suggest plugging in a CAT5 ethernet cable and using your browser to point to 192.168.1.1. You can then send the new ZyXel firmware via your browser, it takes less than a minute at 100mbps.

My guide describes the second method. It is much faster and involves less risk.

Regards,

Dermot

Thanks Dermot for answering it. I'm probably over thinking it as I dont have everything yet. All materials will be here this week. Cable arrived this morning and modem has been posted so should be here later on this week. heres hoping for a successful outcome.

Wayne.

QUOTE=Dermot McDonnell;94210844]Hi Wayne,

strictly speaking you can use the USB-TTL cable only. That would involve sending the new ZyXel firmware, as well as the boot loader, over the USB-TTL cable. The firmware is fairly large and takes the best part of half an hour to send that way.

Therefore, once you have flashed the bootloader, I suggest plugging in a CAT5 ethernet cable and using your browser to point to 192.168.1.1. You can then send the new ZyXel firmware via your browser, it takes less than a minute at 100mbps.

My guide describes the second method. It is much faster and involves less risk.

Regards,

Dermot[/QUOTE]

Hi Internet peeps just have a couple of questions for those that have experience with extraputty and windows. I've put in the baud and parity but it won't let me open. I've stick in an IP address 192.168.1.100 and port 22 and it lets me open a window. I've got the TTL cable but modem isn't here yet. Do I need to have the modem connected to open the window and have I setup the software correctly. Finally do I need to have the Ethernet cable connected along with the serial cable from the start. Thanks in advance, W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Will unlocking increase wifi range and speeds ?

Hi Internet peeps just have a couple of questions for those that have experience with extraputty and windows. I've put in the baud and parity but it won't let me open. I've stick in an IP address 192.168.1.100 and port 22 and it lets me open a window. I've got the TTL cable but modem isn't here yet. Do I need to have the modem connected to open the window and have I setup the software correctly. Finally do I need to have the Ethernet cable connected along with the serial cable from the start. Thanks in advance, W.

Think its actually easier than I thought. Just looks like poor attention to detail on my part. I thought I'd selected the serial radio button as the comms choice of communication but I may have missed that. I'll double check it tonight once I'm home and I'll keep you all posted.

W

Just finished work for the week so sat down tonight when the misses and kids were in bed. Completed the unbranding and took as many screen grabs as I could all finished. Cant thank Dermot enough for all his initial effort. despite some pretty noobie stuff at the beginning completed the whole process without any real issues.

W

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭zarafiq

Thanks for all the posts Dermot. Unlocked mine yesterday. Was able to use Raspberry Pi instead of TTL-USB cable. One issue - DSL LED is green but the Internet LED stays red so not able to connect to the internet.
    Could somebody who uses Eircom and ideally uses 1.00(AAKL.5)C0 firmware backup their config, remove any sensitive info (passwords, etc) and post it here?
    Many thanks!

.. Completed the unbranding and took as many screen grabs as I could all finished...
    W

Nice work, Wayne!

zarafiq wrote: »
    ..One issue - DSL LED is green but the Internet LED stays red so not able to connect to the internet.

Green DSL light indicates ADSL connection on an unlocked F1000. Amber (Yellow) DSL indicates VDSL sync. Can you post a screen shot of xDSL statistics report and status page? With the Eircom firmware, the DSL is green for both ADSL and VDSL.
    Could somebody who uses Eircom and ideally uses 1.00(AAKL.5)C0 firmware backup their config, remove any sensitive info (passwords, etc) and post it here?
    Many thanks!

I think you will find the eircom config file will be incompatible with the Zyxel firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭zarafiq

Thanks Dermot,

I was able to fix the issue by changing the VLAN 802.1q value to '10' - missed this step after flashing firmware.
    Would still like to see default config of Eircom provided modem (forgot to save it before flashing).
    I know I won't be able to upload it to the modem but since it's a text file (XML?) I can see the values
    Eircom are using. Will post the xDSL stats tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Dermot, am having issues since unlocking to the latest firmware. Device's on the LAN intermittently start losing connection to the internet, and i have to reboot the router. Always had rock solud connection before.

Also i have noticed that when i stream video thru a device connected via one of the F1000 ports from another PC on the LAN, the stream buffers and network goes slow for all users. However if i plug same device into a port on my access point, it works fine. This leads me to think the ports on the F1000 are not acting like switched ports, but instead like a passive hub. Dunno if that was always the case or if its firmware related. As v7 is only beta, is it possible to easily downgrade to the latest officially supported release?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

... if its firmware related. As v7 is only beta, is it possible to easily downgrade to the latest officially supported release?

You can flash any Zyxel firmware you want, Kitz forum has a long list. V7 is not a beta, it is released. The Dutch ISP Tweak is shipping it and it is signed off in the Zyxel changelog. http://www.tweak.nl/consument/support/firmware.html

Dermot, am having issues since unlocking to the latest firmware. Device's on the LAN intermittently start losing connection to the internet, and i have to reboot the router. Always had rock solud connection before...

@captain_boycott, give me a call and we can swap it for another F1000 to see it is isolated to your router. Nobody else reporting lost connections, neither here nor on Kitz, and I am certainly not seeing it myself at all on a wide range of connected devices - PC, laptops, android and apple tablets and phones, TV and eVision box.

The F1000 has a BCM53115 5-port Gigabit Ethernet switch, same as the Huawei HG658c if I recall correctly. I see no change in internet performance on any device when the eVision box, connected by cat5 and streaming video, is removed/reconnected to the F1000.

It would be nice to replicate your issue and try to get to the bottom of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

hi Dermot, thanks for the offer - too busy to troubleshoot further at the moment but will try and recreate issue if I get time next week, and then might try downgrading the firmware as well.

Right now its behaving well as i only have my Asus AP connected to the F1000, and I have all my wired connections coming in thru that.

One possibility is that the 1080p traffic was just too much for the router. Would the F1000 firewall be trying to do packet inspection on the NAT side of the router? Anyways, will try a few things next week if I get some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

The V7 firmware is now available from ZyXel Sweden. ftp://ftp.zyxel.se/VMG8324-B10A/firmware/

Their site it almost always up unlike Zyxel Italia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »

You are correct, the Serial Number is in the Bootloader and as yet I have not discovered how to change it. That number can only be seen from the GUI, it is not detectable remotely. There may be a mechanism to change it from CFE but there is no documentation for the command set.

Well done, btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peewee3ie

I have read the most of this thread before doing a spare modem a friend has given me and will be trying it out later on his fiber and get his cctv working over the internet again (it was before he got fiber). I will have mine up and running next week. I will be doing this to my own modem as well.

Thank you Dermot. I had no problem following your guide and I am use to using putty as I use it to keep my own linux server up to date. I was a bit afraid when doing it that I would do something wrong but it's much easier that it look and sounds.

As I work in computer repairs I will be keeping a eye out for modems that customers are not using and doing this.

Dermot. I will also get as many screen shots as I can if they are any good to you but it could be next week. I mite try and do a windows how to and I may do a web page and host it myself on how to do it.

Hi,

How do I change the voip setting as my friend does have a voip/sip account he would like to use with a phone plugged in to the modem

peewee3ie wrote: »
    .. I will also get as many screen shots as I can if they are any good to you but it could be next week. I mite try and do a windows how to and I may do a web page and host it myself on how to do it.

I greatly appreciate to your kind words and offer to provide screen shots. I can PM the source to you if it may assist your efforts.

As for VOIP, not used it myself but a neighbour does. I shall enquire. My first port of call would be VOIP settings. Do you have a user guide?

Hi Dermot,

I do but I seem to be missing a menu for voip. It could be as I do not have a phone plugged in to it yet will try it over the weekend and post back here.

Please do pm the source it maybe useful.

• Advertisement

Advertisement