Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers for PS3 stick compatibility on PS4

• 25-10-2014 6:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Recap: When the PS4 was released, Sony announced that developers could choose to make old preripherals compatible with their games or not. While this sounds like all the devs have to do is flick a switch, it actually means that the devs could choose to write their own drivers for their games and Sony wouldn't stop them, which is considerably more work. Some quality PR speak there.

So anyway, Lab Zero took them up on that and they went looking for people to help them write said drivers. They also said that if/when they get them done they'd release them for free to any dev that wants them.

It's been a few months, but it seems they've finally got them working thanks to one of the programmers at Naughty Dog: http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/22/7040253/skullgirls-encore-ps4-supports-ps3-arcade-sticks-madcatz

LZ are starting public testing with the drivers at a few of their upcoming events and it'll be included in Skullgirls when it launches on PS4. As promised, LZ will be giving it to any devs that want it for no cost and they're free to upgrade and mod the drivers as they want. The only caveat is that if they do improve the drivers they have to share that work with LZ (who presumably will release it publicly).

There's a couple of issues with the driver, namely that it only works with sticks that identify themselves as generic USB devices. TEs all do this, so that's a huge pool of sticks working already. PS360+ dual mod boards identify as PS3 pads specifically when they're detected so they currently don't work, but the Akishop guys have said once the driver is out and available to test they should be able to update their firmware on the PS360s with no effort.

Since GGXrd is shipping in a couple of months there's no chance it'll have these drivers at launch. Hopefully they patch them in though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I know it's not fighting game related but is there any chance they'll open the logitech driving wheel in this fashion for driving games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I know it's not fighting game related but is there any chance they'll open the logitech driving wheel in this fashion for driving games?
    LZ said they weren't going to do it, but if another dev wanted to try using the drivers they could contact them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Sairus wrote: »
    LZ said they weren't going to do it, but if another dev wanted to try using the drivers they could contact them I think.

It's a shame cause they're wonderful wheels. Hat sai I know they want to sell new ones. This would be ok only they're seriosly expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Warms my black heart seeing developers actually trying to make things better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Now to see if Japanese devs will actually implement this, or just stick to being lazy/shilling for Hori.

• Advertisement
Advertisement