Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most obscure game in your collection?

• 06-04-2012 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Just wondering what is the most obscure game in your collection? For me it's Phobos for the PC-9801. Odds of me ever owning a PC-9801 are around 0.01%, but hey, it's in my collection so that's that.

What's yours?

uyNGL.jpg
    WEB8K.jpg
    rL3QD.jpg
    AxT1C.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure what's obscure in my collection...

The Vectrex until every other fecker bought one!
    Same goes for the Virtual Boy!

I'm sure the first person here to own The Tower on the Saturn was mighty pleased with himself until everyone ordered a copy!

So, now...
    Kurushi?
    Kula World?
    Rule of Rose?

None rare or obscure, well, Rule of Rose is pretty obscure, given it never got a PAL release in these islands but, luckily, the mainland Europe release had the english language localised version intact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, hard one to think about. I'll just stick to original copies I have so no Cho Aniki unfortunately.

The Virtual Boy and the games I have for it are quite obscure especially in this country.

Then there's Densha De Go 2 on the NGPC, nothing weirder than a train simulator other than a train simulator that's actually fun.

I own two Japanese RPGs that are unplayable due to the language unless you use the only translation going which is a text based one. Wachenrodder on the Saturn and Tales of Destiny 2.

Then there's my wonderswan collection which is where the real oddities are. I'm too tired to spell them out since I've been on stage since 8.30 but check my backloggery if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Would say Kaeru No Ehon: Adventure For The Lost Memories
    576120_15983_front.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Nice obscurities everyone! Though secretly I think we're all waiting for Dale Parish to reveal a SHMUP written in the late 1970's by a nomad shepherd in Zaire which was developed exclusively for an IBM oscilloscope that was manufactured and only available in Sierra Leone, Niger and a hamlet about 3km outside Toulouse that had a print run of precisely 9 copies.

No emulator exists and of the 9 copies, 7 are presumed lost, 1 was destroyed by a pride of Lions in a game reserve about 10km from Mombassa and the final copy is in the hands of Dale Parish which he obtained from a snuff box collector in Madrid that once worked as a double for Kim Jong Il.

Now THAT is obscure!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Nice obscurities everyone! Though secretly I think we're all waiting for Dale Parish to reveal a SHMUP written in the late 1970's by a nomad shepherd in Zaire which was developed exclusively for an IBM oscilloscope that was manufactured and only available in Sierra Leone, Niger and a hamlet about 3km outside Toulouse that had a print run of precisely 9 copies.

:pac:
    Nah I'v nothing that obscure! Erm, I don't think I have anything that's wildly rare. I guess there isn't many Apple IIcs' in Ireland.. and I'v never seen this COBOL package I have for the C64 before

• Advertisement

:pac:
    Nah I'v nothing that obscure! Erm, I don't think I have anything that's wildly rare. I guess there isn't many Apple IIcs' in Ireland.. and I'v never seen this COBOL package I have for the C64 before

What's the COBOL pack? Is that similar to those Saturn and PS2 BASIC packs? If we're talking computers I'd say it's a two horse race between yourself and Steven Emmanuelle Ulysses SI and his Apple I. Although, if you had an X68000 or FM Towns II maybe the odds would shorten in Mr. Parish's favour? :pac:

I've had a look at some 9801 and 8801 PC's but they are a)incredibly rare and b) you'd sooner get a gaf in D4 than what it would cost to ship one to Eire from Japan. Some really interesting Japan-only computers out there though that's for sure.

By the way, if anyone is remotely interested, Phobos is a Policenauts/Snatcher style game just with a bit of (non-H) nudity in it. I think ROMs are available if anyone is keen.

I'm disappointed you don't have that oscilloscope SHMUP though. :(

What's the COBOL pack? I'm disappointed you don't have that oscilloscope SHMUP though. :(
    It's a COBOL compiler for the C64. Havn't been able to run it though as I don't have a floppy drive :(

I don't have an oscilloscope! I nearly got my hands on one during an office clear out but the scrap men got there before me...

As for the NECs it's been a while since I'v seen one but I do see them listed from time to time; the reason I never buy them is because I have a priorities list :P
    They will be bought eventually! I wouldn't bother getting one in from Japan though. You'll easily get one from the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's hard to define obscure, some muck that no one owns like Superman the N64, well aside from Retr0!
    Or are we talking classics that are hard to find, like my Kula World?
    Are we talking low run titles like Klonoa?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's hard to define obscure, some muck that no one owns like Superman the N64, well aside from Retr0!
    Or are we talking classics that are hard to find, like my Kula World?
    Are we talking low run titles like Klonoa?

Sorry Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale, I was on about stuff that's off the beaten path, not necessarily rare. Superman 64 is rare but it's well known.

I'm on about stuff like Dale Parish and his collection of laptops from 1983 made only in Yemen, all games written for it came on separate 8 track cartridges.

Or even Pantrylad and his obscure prototypes. Sure, he has Bio Metal, but Sonic Crackers would be obscure. I'm sure he must have a Chess simulator made in Nepal using an old Ritz biscuit for a PCB that was never released.

How about some unreleased C64 code? Escape From Colditz etc? Or just genuinely obscure titles, like, I dunno, a stamp collecting simulator for the Vic 20? Or a football game released only in Oman that was basically a bootleg of Microprose Soccer for the C64 but made them the best team in the game?

Wasn't there a GBA game about 9/11 too that was a bootleg? Or just some odd less-known games on obscure platforms, like my PC-9801 game for example. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Or even Pantrylad and his obscure prototypes. Sure, he has Bio Metal, but Sonic Crackers would be obscure. I'm sure he must have a Chess simulator made in Nepal using an old Ritz biscuit for a PCB that was never released.

It's a little hard to draw the line between obscure and rare. I think for something to be obscure it needs to be both rare but weird with unknown history.

For example, Duke Nukem 3D for the Megadrive. It's rare, but I'd consider that one obscure. The history is blurry, it's an oddity - it makes people go 'wtf' any time I show it to them.

The Taiwanese PGM Mobo I have with Demon Front and Knights of Valour is definitely obscure. As is that Master of Shooting Jaleco PCB.

On the other hand, compare that to Megaman The Wily Wars or Ecco Jr. They're both rare. Are they obscure? To you and me they're not, but to others they would be. Same for the Sega Nomad and things like that.

I guess the longer you're involved in a certain hobby, the less obscure things become to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Wasn't there a GBA game about 9/11 too that was a bootleg? Or just some odd less-known games on obscure platforms, like my PC-9801 game for example. :)

That was a bootleg Metal Slug game on Gameboy Color.
    I'e downloaded the rom before, it was pants

Master of the Universe

I can never figure that one out. When you search for Metal Slug gameboy colour roms, there is one, but it's not the one in that video. It's nowhere near the same level of quality.

The one in that video is insanely good and doesn't look like it should be possible on the GBC hardware. I haven't been able to find it online anywhere.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I can never figure that one out. When you search for Metal Slug gameboy colour roms, there is one, but it's not the one in that video. It's nowhere near the same level of quality.

The one in that video is insanely good and doesn't look like it should be possible on the GBC hardware. I haven't been able to find it online anywhere.

Correct you are, the one in the video sees mostly to be running on NeoGeo or Sony hardware as far as I can tell, there is some GBC footage mostly cut scenes where Bush and Binliner are trash talking each other.

The rom I played is unplayable and ludacris with the ability to hover and brutal looking graphics even by GBC standards.

If this was a legit game though it would defo be one to own for the collection

Master of the Universe

If you go to 4 minutes in, you'll see the game running on Gameboy Colour hardware. But it still looks nothing like the GBC Metal Slug prototype I found when search online and is far far more impressive.

The animation is far too fluid and sweet for GBC, maybe a 16bit console though as it's not as nice a GBA graphics.
    Tis a puzzler, would love to have that game for my GBC running like that video

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Most obscure thing I own is obscure 1 and 2 in the ps2 :pac:

Its actually probably the GameCube NR reader and discs. Also have a boxed and fully complete Pokemon green on the game boy which is hard enough to come by in Japan and scarce outside Japan. Also Pokemon box on the GameCube is also a bit of an oddity as I don't think it was sold in its own, at least not in pal territories. As well I have a little shinobi car and a space channel 5 car which are a bit unusual. I'm sure theres a few other things I own too but that's just off the top if my head!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Christmas nights as well maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I have that 9/11 lcd game that was out a few years ago, "Laden VS USA" around here somewhere. Not sure it it counts or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laden_VS_USA

Edit:
    There's also my Apple I and it's software and games, but that's just rare as opposed to obscure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Possibly the US version of Tiny Toons: Buster's Bad Dream. Was released in Europe in 2002, and no American version was thought to exist until 2005 when copies started turning up on eBay and small indie retailers. Apparently the US version had been produced but shelved originally back in 2002. It's made by Treasure incidentally, and is pretty decent.
    Also have a random Japanese GBA game that I got from a vending machine in Super Potato. So obscure I don't even know what it's called...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Holy Warlord

Anything on the Mega Drive and SNES onwards I would have a hard time classifying as rare/obscure.

Even 'Limited Edition' versions (with art cards and statuettes et cetera) of 90s and 00s games were produced and bought in the thousands.

Truly rare stuff (equivalent to Detective Comics 27, so to speak), is probably something like a mail-away cartridge made in limited quantities for the Magnavox Odyssey or the Vic 20.

• Advertisement

Anything on the Mega Drive and SNES onwards I would have a hard time classifying as rare/obscure.

Even 'Limited Edition' versions (with art cards and statuettes et cetera) of 90s and 00s games were produced and bought in the thousands.

Truly rare stuff (equivalent to Detective Comics 27, so to speak), is probably something like a mail-away cartridge made in limited quantities for the Magnavox Odyssey or the Vic 20.

Seriously?
    I mean is that your definition of obscure or rare?
    Are you defining rare in terms of how many on the planet exist or, relative to the number of users?
    Because, there is a string of low run games out there that I would say are rare, and certainly the obscure titles are often great games, overlooked in their home territories and never receiving a release elsewhere.

And, on publication, I'm sure Detective Comics 27 was seen a just another comic book upon publication.
    Sure, it's relevance now seems obvious, but it wasn't inherent.
    Also, comics value is partly based on it's age as well as subject matter, who knows how many copies were binned back in 1939, resulting in only the issues held by collectors persisting until now.

Rule of Rose may be such a game.
    Released onto a console with a massive install base and massive games catalogue, controversy resulted in it's partial European release and a relatively minor US release, there it was published by Atlas and in Europe by 505 Gamestreet, making sure its non-feature on the shelves of the time.

This results in the game being rare in english speaking territories and more so in Europe, particularly in Ireland and Britain with it never receiving a release here specifically.

And, taking the Detective Comics time scale into comparison, Rule of Rose is getting these prices only 6 years after release, compared to the comics 73 years.
    Assuming that there still remains PS2 consoles that can run the game, I fully expect something like Rule of Rose to fetch serious prices by 2079!

So, in a nutshell, lets try and compare like with like here.
    There are more factors than just the number of titles in the wild, there is the user base, there is the profile of the title and so on.

By the 1960's anything with Bats on the cover was going to start pulling in the big bucks, with the comic collecting frenzy kicking off in the States, the actual value of the likes of Detective Comics 27 has surely been inflated beyond it's true figure, as people "invest" in the publication rather than buy it to read it, heavens forbid!

Limited Editions are most definitely just a way to squeeze more cash from your pocket and the idea of their being better than the original is nonsense, given the popularity of the games they are based on.
    Whats the point in a limited edition Killzone 3 (indeed ;) ) when there are thousands out there in the wild, not to mention the game is as common as Jordan and not that good.
    A limited edition of, say, Kula World would be a much better investment, given the scarcity of the game in certain territories.
    I am reminded of the 90's when comics and trading cards became over inflated due to the use of limited edition front cover art, different variants of same, foil embossed cards, the whole thing went tits up then later in the decade, so that particular industry is not immune to such madness.

And, as for mail away carts or disks, promo's are not as prevalent as full releases but are not that valuable, also dev carts of games are nearly always valuable, but again this may be down to the contents as well, no one wants a Rise of the Robots proto, but a Street Fighter II dev cart, for the Snes say, would be worth a fortune.

So, there we go, i think the idea of certain games being obscure, as in not well known but being brilliant, interesting and worthy of owning, is true.
    The idea that only games from a certain vintage qualify as such is almost certainly false.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Dont think I have anything really obscure in my collection. Nothing really out of the ordinary here

duped-stormtrper-star-wars3_1199343879.jpg

Move along

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Just wondering what is the most obscure game in your collection? For me it's Phobos for the PC-9801. Odds of me ever owning a PC-9801 are around 0.01%, but hey, it's in my collection so that's that.

Wow just looking at the 9801 on wiki, and it was ahead of it's time spec wise!

Especially when it was released the same year as the c64!

Why don't you think you'll ever own one, are they that rare now?

With 18 million units sold you'd reckon there'd be quite a few in Japan.

waveform wrote: »

They're not really that rare at all in Japan and you can get one pretty much whenever you like, as long as you have the cash.
    It would cost a bit to ship them home but nothing to crazy.

waveform wrote: »

What's really ahead of its time was the Xerox Alto. Up to 512kB of RAM in 1973? That's nearly as much as my fully upgraded IBM XT (640K)

What's really ahead of its time was the Xerox Alto. Up to 512kB of RAM in 1973? That's nearly as much as my fully upgraded IBM XT (640K)

Don't tell pyongy about the Alto.
    He'll look it up and see the screen is setup perfectly for shmups and be terrible disappointed it has none :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Probably the rarest/most obscure thing I own is my Konami HYPERSTICK.

In retrospect, I probably should've asked for the box... and not modded it :D

Steve SI wrote: »
    Don't tell pyongy about the Alto.
    He'll look it up and see the screen is setup perfectly for shmups and be terrible disappointed it has none :D

I find it very distressing looking at image search results for this computer. What a waste. :(

• This thread makes me sad to think of all the great hardware and software I've gotten rid of over the years as i just don't have the space to hold on to it. I've sold or passed on hardware from every gaming generation from the vic-20 onwards over the years, as well as buckets of software for them all. They mostly all went to good homes where they were appreciated (some comfort at least) but it's still annoying to have to let go of stuff you'd rather keep, especially as every time you part with something you think "i wonder how much that will be worth in 20 or 30 years".

I'm a collector at heart, but what with family/life concerns increasingly taking priority over gaming i just don't have the space for it all anymore, so the rise of emulation has been both a blessing and a curse to me over the last few years. I can only hold on to the cream of the crop from each passing generation now, and the annoying thing about that is the stuff i keep is all so common (because it was so good/popular) that it's all a dime a dozen and the least likely to become obscure collector's items anytime soon.

Anything i hold on to is purely because i love it, not because of any prospect of ever making money off of it. That's probably the right attitude to have in any case, but it still annoys me because i have no choice in the matter.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sad to say but my most obscure / valuable item is probably just Castlevania: Symphony of the Night which isn't proper rare.

Advertisement