Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

• 23-02-2012 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I don't think he helped the situation by not opening the door, but then again, are you allowed open a door when a Garda approaches? Or are you only allowed lower your window.
    Ridiculous reaction from the cops though. Fair play to yer man for having a camera on his dash.

Mod note: this thread is about this video only. Any attempts to bring in general gardai bashing will be baton-charged.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Ah now, this is a bit.......

Edit, watched it twice, still doesn't add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I always wonder do they have cam ready cause they are going to be confrontational and try provoke a response from the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Don't have audio here, but from what I can gather, the driver was being completely uncooperative? They probably thought he/she had something to hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The driver could have saved all the hassle if he opened the door. I'm sure he was not just an innocent member or the public going about his business.
    Camera's are always at the ready there. Smashing the window was a bit OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It takes two to tango. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

So are we supposed to feel sorry for this gob****e because he refused to co-operate with the guards? All he had to do was slowly open the door when they were beside the window, showing that he had no weapon. He shows them his licence, maybe he gets a bit of a ticking off and then he's on his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Vic_Mackey

The guy was looking for a reaction and he got one. If he couldn't hear the Garda why didn't he attempt to open the door? Was the door locked and did the Garda attempt to open the door?

I'm no lover of the Gardai but this just looks like a guy trying to cause a bit of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

The Gardai seem to have acted way over the top by smashing in the window of the car. But the initial conversation is inaudible or blanked out so we don't have the full story here. It is clear that when the Gardai asked him to pull into the side of the road he didn't do so; at that point he was failing to follow the direction of a Garda and if anything he escalated the problem by no co-operating.

The jurys out for me on this one, but I will say that there was absolutely no need to smash the drivers window in while he was in the drivers seat- they could have caused him serious damage had a shard of glass landed into his neck or head.

If they really wanted access to the car then the smart thing to do was to smash a rear window and get in that way, thus not putting him in direct danger, which is something they are supposed to do as part of their own Charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pure setup, begging for a reaction

And then he could go home and edit together his video. And it's very well edited with the information and popup screens

Why not open the door?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The public can be dicks, it's our job. Some more so than others. But Gardai should be professional and the garda getting all excited about a dick not co-operating was out of line. Ham fisted clods.

And by the looks of it the garda that was getting all excited and threatening (to a dick acting the dick) wasn't in uniform (no hat).

4 dicks acting the dick doesn't make a right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

hondasam wrote: »
    The driver could have saved all the hassle if he opened the door.

That's my question, are people actually allowed open the door? I know in other countries it's completely forbidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

humberklog wrote: »
    And by the looks of it the garda that was getting all excited and threatening (to a dick acting the dick) wasn't in uniform (no hat).

Does the hat still matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

the garda that was getting all excited and threatening (to a dick acting the dick) wasn't in uniform (no hat).

He was in uniform and who cares about a hat

Are you going to quote some obscure rule about you can't be arrested if the garda does not have a hat? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

In this case I have to side with the Garda . The driver was being smart with them . If I had being the guard I would have dragged him out of the car and asked him questions after he had a few hours in a cell

That's my question, are people actually allowed open the door? I know in other countries it's completely forbidden.

He could have told the guard to go round the other side, I'm sure it's not the first encounter they had.
    TBH I'm sick to death of this shell thing, it's costing us a fortune. Everyone knows the hassle with the gardai and the protesters, bring the army down there and see how they like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Video is now private.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Does anyone else get irritated by the constant use of "Stay classy *enter name here*" online?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Idiot decides to provoke Gardaí and films it. I hope they gave him a nice dose of oleoresin capsicum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JoeyBeltram

Obvious anti-shell propaganda machine in full swing.

who records their drive to work ffs?

Cops over-reacting but what do you expect from the ignorant, dumb fu.cks..
    Mod note: User banned

That I honestly don't know. I'm reading off my brief marked Canky Pedant charter 1982:).

Tellsya what does matter...ability to investigate a situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Gardai should be professional and the garda getting all excited about a dick not co-operating was out of line. Ham fisted clods.

There is no excuse for someone not co-operating. They should do what the guards want instantly. Why should the guards waste their time? They are not co-operating. Do whatever you need to do to take control I would reckon...
    who records their drive to work ffs?

Lots of people have a dash cam installed these days. Having a camera doesn't really say anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

FYI ''key chain mini dvr'' can be bought for less than €8 on ebay. I keep one handy. Very popular in the caucuses of Russia where bribery and corruption is rife among the police there.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Vic_Mackey

I can't believe that the Garda didn't at least attempt to open the door before smashing the window. If he didn't he deserves a bollocking, but yer man in the car was still being a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

biko wrote: »
    Video is now private.

What does this mean? How can I watch it?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    He was in uniform and who cares about a hat

Are you going to quote some obscure rule about you can't be arrested if the garda does not have a hat? :D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Your tax-euros at work, if it was a van full of travellers would they be as quick to pull there new(ish) toys?.
    would like to know more about the driver status in all this tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The public can be dicks, it's our job. Some more so than others. But Gardai should be professional and the garda getting all excited about a dick not co-operating was out of line. Ham fisted clods.

4 dicks acting the dick doesn't make a right.

*snigger*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Wow, not one bit surprised at this video and the over reacting Gardai on power trips to protect a multinational and harassing citizens going about their business. Why are we wasting police resources protecting the profits of such companies?

Whether this video is true or not I've seen similar situations happen first hand where heavy handed gardai over react...Hill of Tara Springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

hondasam wrote: »
    Everyone knows the hassle with the gardai and the protesters, bring the army down there and see how they like that.

What would that achieve? Surely that would end up costing even more?

• Advertisement

There is no excuse for someone not co-operating. They should do what the guards want instantly.

Ah now come off it...there can often be plenty of excuses and reasons for not co-operating with the gaurds, bad instruction and undue interest is just that. As for doing what a guard tells you to do instantly? Well holy moly Mr. Orwell (and all that). Instantly? Good grief.

Advertisement