Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festival Tipping Competition Application

• 25-02-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of building a festival tipping competition application that will eventually be deployed online. Before I get started on it though I have requirements gathering to do. Please fill out this short survey to heklp me get an idea of what the users would get out of such an application. Its only 10 questions.

Thanks.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/M2FCNY9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I did as well Nulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Good work, I'll need as much feedback as possible.

Questions with * beside the number are required.
    Some questions are multiple selection answers, others you can choose only one answer. Try fill it out carefully.
    Thanks

Any ideas for a name of the site/URL?

Nulty wrote: »
    Try fill it out carefully.
    Surely you built it with the rules in it so you can only answer as you require?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Good work, I'll need as much feedback as possible.

Questions with * beside the number are required.
    Some questions are multiple selection answers, others you can choose only one answer. Try fill it out carefully.
    Thanks

Any ideas for a name of the site/URL?[/QUOTE]

Sport of kings tipping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭jimjackson

done...good luck with the venture

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Surely you built it with the rules in it so you can only answer as you require?

I don't understand what your saying. :o

Thanks everybody for filling it out. I know the questionnaire could be better but times are tough and I'm under quite a bit of pressure. This is the first major formal software project I've undertaken on my own....and I've got a whole heap of other stuff going on. I'm looking forward to getting this done though. It's something I think should have been done properly by someone else a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RT2010

Done it too. Fair play for putting the time into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Done, best of luck.

• Advertisement

Well folks, its been a long time between drinks but we're nearly there. I say nearly but theres still plenty to do on my end. Its coming along great and now I can focus all my energies on the application, progress will be faster.

Heres a taster of the application, which I must remind you, is still in development. Any graphic designers on here should speak up nowe because that is something I'm awful at and any input would be appreciated. Remember - it's your application too!

REGISTERING FOR A FESTIVAL
    5756972028_4c4147ab47_b.jpg

MAKING A SELECTION
    5756971516_074dc8920c_b.jpg

LEADERBOARD
    5756971746_6fc06ea042_b.jpg

Also, thanks to all who did the survey

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Looks cool Nulty, will you have it set up for Royal Ascot? Would be good to have a little competition on this.

Denners.ie wrote: »
    Looks cool Nulty, will you have it set up for Royal Ascot? Would be good to have a little competition on this.

I might be able to get a beta version running for Royal Ascot. Its got base level functionality working right now but I'm sure there are tonnes of bugs in there somewhere. Royal Ascot is 3 weeks away? Can't promise anything but I'll try

There is critical information missing:

Selection number
    Draw if applicable
    Trainer

All these are very important and will save someone looking elsewhere.

Also you need to make the silks and selection name bigger than the other surround text as those are most important.

The add to selections button is too overbearing.

You don't need to display the date multiple times, it's only taking up space.

You need to design for a maximum of 18 characters in the horse name, not including breeding country.

Leaderboard should show results, both for the race and for the individual (through link)

Get some designer input as if its not accepted first off it'll fail.

There is critical information missing:

Selection number
    Draw if applicable
    Trainer

All these are very important and will save someone looking elsewhere.

Also you need to make the silks and selection name bigger than the other surround text as those are most important.

The add to selections button is too overbearing.

You don't need to display the date multiple times, it's only taking up space.

You need to design for a maximum of 18 characters in the horse name, not including breeding country.

Leaderboard should show results, both for the race and for the individual (through link)

Get some designer input as if its not accepted first off it'll fail.

Thanks Bluetonic - much appreciated!

I accept that draw and saddle-cloth number etc. are useful but the user will be researching form and past performances on sites like the racing post, is it worth while for me to add extra columns to my database for redundant info?

All other points you make are great.

Nulty don't take this as me trying to be smart but just to improve the site. Spell checks should be used. ''your'' logged in and ''glorius'' goodwood. Just for the professionalism aspect

Actually saddle cloth numbers will make it much easier to order the horses in the cards...functional benefits!

Thanks Bluetonic - much appreciated!

I accept that draw and saddle-cloth number etc. are useful but the user will be researching form and past performances on sites like the racing post, is it worth while for me to add extra columns to my database for redundant info?

All other points you make are great.
    Surely everything is redundant then? Just have a race number in a drop down with selections with one "add to selection" button?

You want to enrich the user experience and give then a reason to visit your site. Not everyone will have the time to spend on other site, or the access to other sites.

Surely everything is redundant then? Just have a race number in a drop down with selections with one "add to selection" button?

You want to enrich the user experience and give then a reason to visit your site. Not everyone will have the time to spend on other site, or the access to other sites.

I know your being sarcastic and its not necessary. Point taken. Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement

I know your being sarcastic
    I'm not.

Fair enough, the internet causes a lot of misunderstandings!

I'm running a test competition for tomorrows racing at

http://bigracewinners.heroku.com

I'm trying to make things go smoothly but its been a night mare so far. Been fixing things all day. Have a go and make some selections. I'll update the leader board as quickly as I can.

Fair enough, the internet causes a lot of misunderstandings!

I'm running a test competition for tomorrows racing at

http://bigracewinners.heroku.com

I'm trying to make things go smoothly but its been a night mare so far. Been fixing things all day. Have a go and make some selections. I'll update the leader board as quickly as I can.

Looking forward to seeing this Nulty good man. Seems like the activation e-mail isn't being sent though, unless it takes 5 mins or more?

thanks for letting me know Denners.

It's working fine for me but i'm using a gmail account. Did you get it in the end?

I tried to register,got this

We're sorry, but something went wrong.

We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly.

thanks for letting me know Denners.

It's working fine for me but i'm using a gmail account. Did you get it in the end?

I didn't get it but set up a gmail account and received the same message that Urban got about an error. Not to worry anyway this is what trial runs are for.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll get back to you when its sorted.

Royal Ascot is the aim so like you said, this is valuable testing

I think I've got it working now. If someone wants to try resending their activation code (Help menu) or signing up it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Is it allowing people sign up now?

Register

8 errors prohibited this account from being created:
    • First name can't be blank
    • Last name can't be blank
    • Username can't be blank
    • Username is too short (minimum is 6 characters)
    • Email can't be blank
    • Email is invalid
    • Password doesn't match confirmation
    • Password Missing password
    Get this everytime I try sign-up

• Advertisement

I appear to have coded my self into a corner....Its going to take a while to sort this out. Sorry about that. :(

Advertisement