Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festina lente

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Didn't get to chat to you much yesterday. Well done Ray, incredible performance. I wish I could push myself that much that I fall into a wheelchair at the end. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great stuff raycun. Great preparation and great race!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Great race and report Ray, congrats on the result!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done again Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hardcore stuff Ray, you should be very proud!

When you came up beside me you said 'Not long to go' I was so glad to see a friendly face, congratulations on a fantastic run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fantastic running Ray! Enjoy the well earned rest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats Ray, brilliant run and report. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done yesterday Ray, great running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Brilliant running. super stuff congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

just updating this table...

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|106.68
    March|53.2|121.83
    April|72|106.33
    May|75.9|107.13
    June|90.2|64.85pacman.gif
    July|118.1|126.92
    August|124.4|168
    September|154|171.75
    October|108.7|191.2
    November|58.4|
    December|[83|
    Total|1012.2|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done Ray. I'm probably going to write a report later but I could almost copy yours. I'm sorry I wasn't introduced, musta been tripping over you on the way around. Also suffered badly the last 4 miles, kept calculating how fast I needed to finish, fell over the line in 3:29.12. I was 2440 if you're looking at your video, I'll find out your number and see if I can spot you.

Btw 3:29.12 is a fantastic time, I think we'll both agree:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done ray ....was chattin to ur missus on the road to the sub..

ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done ray ....was chattin to ur missus on the road to the sub..

Yes, she said you saw the poster and ran back to her!

snailsong wrote: »
    I was 2440 if you're looking at your video, I'll find out your number and see if I can spot you.

I was 503, came over the finish line on the right (from the camera's point of view) and raised my hands feebly in the air...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Me on the left, blue singlet. I was afraid to stop until I crossed all three timing mats, dodging through people and didn't even remember to smile.

5.44 in 31.29 (5.47 pace)

Monday I was absolutely shattered, body wrecked, brain not much better, so sorry for not talking to more people in the pub :o
    Tuesday and Wednesday, physically I was recovering faster than last year, but was still feeling pretty dopey, not my usual brilliant self :rolleyes:
    For the last couple of days though, I've been itching to get out and run again...

Not an easy run this morning, still have aches and pains all over the place, and it felt like marathon pace effort for nothing like the speed - my stride is probably still very short - but great to get out. Picked up a pair of Mizuno Elixirs at the expo and this was their first run.

Time to start thinking of some new goals too - the plan is to run the Jingle Bells and then cross-country, join BHAA and do a bunch of their races over the year, but target races will be Raheny, Sportsworld, Dunshaughlin, and Donadea. The next times on that Big 8 challenge are sub 30 and sub 40...

5.43 in 30.06 (5.33 pace)

Feeling much better this morning. Still a knot in my calf and some stiffness in my hip, but I felt much stronger.

I really must step away from Boards for a bit now. I'm spending too much time looking at marathons - Sevilla, Valencia, Barcelona, London, Chester, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Paris, Berlin - that I have no intention of doing for another two years :rolleyes:

kmtd:10.87

This was well-timed - I'm planning to start running seven days a week from next week, but was wondering if it would be counter-productive or pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RayCun wrote: »
    This was well-timed - I'm planning to start running seven days a week from next week, but was wondering if it would be counter-productive or pointless.

I would say having moved to 7 days a week this year defo worth while but make sure one day is recovery (Im talkin 2 min per mile slower than normal and no more than 45 min)

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    I would say having moved to 7 days a week this year defo worth while but make sure one day is recovery (Im talkin 2 min per mile slower than normal and no more than 45 min)

Probably 3 days recovery :D

Tuesday club session - usually VO2 pace
    Wednesday recovery - slow 5ish miles
    Thursday longish run - easy 10 miles
    Friday recovery - slow 5ish miles
    Saturday - tempo work (or VO2 if club was tempo)
    Sunday recovery - slow 3/4 miles
    Monday - 5ish miles at around marathon pace. Slow enough not to hurt Tuesday's run but fast enough to be worth doing?

8.78 in 49.12 (5.36 pace)

Run home from work. 6.28 pace in the first k, but was down under 5.30 soon enough - too fast really :o I'm not completely recovered - I still get that pain in my upper leg that I got about a week before the marathon :confused: - but other than that I felt strong. Will try to keep it slower in the morning...

kmtd:19.65

8.84 in 47.07 (5.19 pace)

Hmm, had a look at McMillan yesterday, and I've been taking my easy runs a bit too easy. I run a lot of them around the 6.00 mark (9.30-10 minute miles), but they should be more like 5.17-35 (8.30-9 miles)
    So, a not-so-easy run to work this morning. I need to get better at sticking to a steady 5.20-30 pace...

kmtd:28.49

Time to write this down to get it straight in my head...

Monday - home from work - easy run - 5.17-5.35 pace
    Tuesday - club session, usually VO2
    Wednesday - into work - recovery pace - 5.54-6.13
    Thursday - longer route home from work (16k) - easy run - 5.17-5.35 pace
    Friday - into work - easy run - 5.17-5.35 pace
    Saturday - tempo run/intervals - 4.31-4.43/4.28-4.37
    Sunday - recovery run - 5.54-6.13

Next week is still marathon recovery, but that's the basic plan for the following weeks (races and holidays aside)

8.81 in 46.32 (5.17 pace)

Right on the edge of 'easy' pace, really need to start slowing these down. :rolleyes: On the plus side, legs are feeling strong and that twinge at the top of my thigh is fading away. Still and all, will run back in at recovery pace in the morning, no sense in pushing it.

kmtd:37.3

8.73 in 51.43 (5.55 pace)

Slowed it down this morning. I think my pacing problem is that I start off at the right pace, and maintain that effort level throughout, but of course once I've warmed up the effort required for that pace falls. Instead of easing off and staying at the same pace, I maintain the effort and speed up. Maybe. Will test it out next run...
    all the twinges came back for today's run - thighs, calves, whatever - plus stepping off a kerb after about a mile I had what felt like a tearing feeling in my foot :eek: I stopped for a second, but the pain disappeared and I was able to run on as usual.
    Until I got to work, and either the shower room is broken or someone was taking an awful long time in there, because I waited 20 minutes and still no shower :mad: Had to settle for a sink-and-deodorant wash instead :rolleyes:

kmtd:46.03

13.49 in 74.13 (5.30 pace)

Another easy run, better paced this time. Just up and once around Tymon Park.

Then off up to thirstywork2 in Amphibian King/B2R for a pair of these...
    sauco312304_213299_jb1.jpg
    spikes!

kmtd:59.52

5.47 in 30.53 (5.39 pace)

Short jog up to a local park, then a couple of k in spikes!! to try them out. I like :)
    I like accelerating around corners in road races, so its nice to be able to do the same on grass - in fact, it's almost mandatory. Will be handy on the hills too.
    Then changed back into the runners to jog home.

kmtd:64.99

Does running from place to place to cheer on the kid in his crosscountry race this morning count towards the 1000 mile challenge? How about orienteering around Djouce?
    No?
    why did I bother then?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Any races there for 6 year olds?

Daddy's little princess wants to start training with me.

Advertisement