Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laser eye surgery Waterford

• 27-08-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

At the moment I am thinking about having laser eye surgery and I am interested to hear any feedback on the clinics in the city?

The websites can only tell you so much and I will be setting up consultation appointments but I am really wondering if they deliver on the aftercare that they promise. I know that the closure of Ultrilase was disastrous for people who had their surgery in their Waterford clinic so this is making me think if I should consider a hospital based clinic rather than a stand-alone company which has a higher probabilty of closing....???

Any info at all would be much appreciated as it is a big decision and I'd really like to know as much as possible before I set up the consultations.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dzilla

Hi all,

At the moment I am thinking about having laser eye surgery and I am interested to hear any feedback on the clinics in the city?

The websites can only tell you so much and I will be setting up consultation appointments but I am really wondering if they deliver on the aftercare that they promise. I know that the closure of Ultrilase was disastrous for people who had their surgery in their Waterford clinic so this is making me think if I should consider a hospital based clinic rather than a stand-alone company which has a higher probabilty of closing....???

Any info at all would be much appreciated as it is a big decision and I'd really like to know as much as possible before I set up the consultations.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi there, I recently had the surgery done by Optical Express in Cork. The procedure and consultation is very quick. I found the guy who was doing the procedure on my eye not the most pleasant but aftercare has been fine.

As opposed to hospitals I have no experience with the hospital procedure but the "High Street" approach is a very pushy "Give me your money" culture. But I do have good vision after the surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

I had my surgery about fifteen months ago in the Wellington Eye Clinic by Dr Cummings, really nice guy. I previously had two consultations in chain type clinics in Waterford (Optilase) and another in Cork (Optical Express). I found Optical Express very pushy and sales driven, I knew I wasn't going to use Ultralase or Optical Express so I just used their free consultations to get a feel for it before I went up to Wellington. I chose The Wellington from good reviews on Boards, The Mater had roughly equal as good reviews as the Wellington Clinic, I liked the look of Wellington so went with them.

I done tons of research and would advise you to read up on it as much as possible, My mother had her eyes done by Optical Express in Cork, surgery happens in Kildare, and it all went great but I felt the chain type clinics couldn't offer me the peace of mind I wanted. The aftercare in the Wellington was fantastic, my mam said that she wasn't given as many aftercare products as I was when she had her surgery too. It only takes about an hour and forty mins to get to the Wellington after leaving Waterford City. I had LASEK as opposed to LASIK which has a faster healing process.

I know you wanted feedback from places in the city but for me The Mater and The Wellington are long established clinics and that's what I'd recommend to anyone instead of what I found pushy, sales driven clinics like Optical Express.

Just make sure you are 100% comfortable with your surgeon and clinic before you hand over any money, best of luck with your glasses free journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭0neo8

I had the surgery down by the park in ultralase . Best decision I ever made , sometimes while I rub my eyes it can be painfull if I'm not carefull. But excellent value. All I needed was 1 month after care after surgery and I went back once with a sore eye which was fixed with drops within 4 - 5 days . I haven't been in touch in a long time so I don't know if they are still there .

Just one more thing . I got both eyes done on the same day . They led me to believe that sometimes the surgeon does one eye and then you go back another day for the other eye. Sounds stupid to me . I'd insist on both eyes that day 6. Minutes each eye it takes

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback.

I rang Optilase in Barronstrand Street yesterday but they told me that they only perform the surgery in Cork or Dublin and that the Waterford clinic is used for consultations (not with the surgeon)and follow-up care only. That has kind of put me off them to be honest as I would rather the actual surgeon did the initial consultation and the after care.

Today I spoke to the Waterford Laser Eye Clinic in Maritana Gate (former Ultralase facility) and have set up an appointment with the surgeon for next week. The same surgeon is also a Consultant in Whitfield so I feel a bit more comfortable about the fact that he is based in the city.

I still have some more research to do, but if anyone has been to the Waterford Laser Eye Clinic I’d love to hear about it, good or bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dzilla

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback.

I rang Optilase in Barronstrand Street yesterday but they told me that they only perform the surgery in Cork or Dublin and that the Waterford clinic is used for consultations (not with the surgeon)and follow-up care only. That has kind of put me off them to be honest as I would rather the actual surgeon did the initial consultation and the after care.

Today I spoke to the Waterford Laser Eye Clinic in Maritana Gate (former Ultralase facility) and have set up an appointment with the surgeon for next week. The same surgeon is also a Consultant in Whitfield so I feel a bit more comfortable about the fact that he is based in the city.

I still have some more research to do, but if anyone has been to the Waterford Laser Eye Clinic I’d love to hear about it, good or bad!!

I have heard very good things of the maritana gate setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Willow9

I had my surgery done in Optilase in Cork, My surgery is complete since June, I have had no problems with them what so ever. i am due another follow up this weekend. I know what you mean by having the surgeon close by but i really believe that its not necessary. I found the staff in optilase excellent and found them to be of great comfort every time i went in prior and after the surgery.
    I reviewed Optical express also and did the initial consultation. But found that i felt more comfortable with Optilase.
    I would go to all of them and see which one make you feel most comfortable, That you trust them, they have good after care and the Price

There's no harm in talking to them.

Kind Regards

PS if you decide on Optilase id be happy to provide you with a referral letter which give you €100 off your total bill. every little helps :)

Advertisement