Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ADSL on a Mac

• 25-10-2005 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm buying the new iMac that has no phone jack for 56k dialup.. And I'm sure Apple will be happy to know that I'm going to get highspeed internet. Actually I will be too as in the long run it works out cheaper. However, I can't find anything for Mac..

I live in Greece and there are a few possibilities for adsl but very little techie info. The 2 products I have looked at supply a filter/router/flipper/flopper thing but they don't work for a mac apparently. So I have to supply my own 'filter'. Fair enough, but I can't get any info on what filter to buy. Plus, google isn't very helpful on the search either.

Does anyone have an ADSL filter for their Mac? If so what make is it? (PSTN)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭remoteboy

A couple of things here. There is a difference between a filter and a router. The filter is a little splitter thingie that you plug into your phone line, then plug your phone into one side and a regular phone cable into the other. You then run the spare phone cable into your ADSL modem. Your ADSL modem will then connect to your computer either via Ethernet or USB (usually both).

A router is a piece of hardware typically found inside the same unit as the ADSL modem. If your ADSL modem has an ethernet port, then it probably has a router. All routers should work with your Mac (sweeping statement but generally true) despite what manufacturers/ISPs tell you. The truth is they're afraid of the unknown ;)

If you connect to your router via Ethernet you don't need any driver software, you just make sure that your mac is set to DHCP (it's in System Preferences > Network), open up Safari (or any web browser) and away you go. If your ISP has pre-configured your modem with the correct username and password (a lot of ISPs use generic usernames and passwords) the whole thing should just work out of the box.

If you need to enter login details, just visit the administration page of the router. This is usually detailed in the manual that comes with the modem - if it isn't, you can check your IP address (it's in System Preferences > Network) and guess the page address from there -

e.g. if your IP address is 192.168.0.1, your admin page is probably at 192.168.0.254. Or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Gordon:

As far as I'm aware Apple are (or will be) flogging their own USB modem for dial-up; however, failing that, the "filter" of which they speak is a small adaptor you stick on the phone line to stop the DSL interfering with the audio quality of your phone line. Literally two filters: low-pass for voice phone, and high-pass for data. They cost a couple of euro, which considering how little's in them is still a rip-off.

Any ethernet-equipped DSL modem will work just fine with your Mac; they use a web-based adminstration thingy, and are OS (and hardware) agnostic.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

[edit]Gah! Timing!!! :D [/edit]
    [edit]Oh yeah. That dialup modem? http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/10/12/usbmodem/index.php [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

The 2 products I have looked at supply a filter/router/flipper/flopper thing but they don't work for a mac apparently

Can you tell us what ADSL products you are being offered? The iMac is wireless enabled so you may be able to avoid having to cable the router to your computer. ADSL and routers should [for the most part] be computer hardware and operating system agnostic.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jaysus, ok I'll need to look into this more.

re: the usb modem - the apple dealers haven't even heard about this over here even though I point them to it on the apple store. I'm considering buying direct from Apple but don't trust the Greek postal service for anything over 20 euros.

as for the adsl product, ehhh it's here but unless you go to the installation instructions on the left it doesn't give much detail. I think you are talking about wireless connection right sidekick? I don't think this exists in Greece yet :/

I would have thought that routers et al would be fine on all platforms but I read up on the documentation and all the info states that they include the necessary drivers etc. Whenever I see this I default to thinking that it may not work on a Mac. Plus the sales guy told me that this specific example I linked to doesn't work on a Mac. Of course sales guys don't always know the score.

As for ethernet equipped DSL modems: anyone got any names I can throw at shops?! Crypto is the only name I've heard so far - do Crypto work on Macs or are they as you say - platform agnostic?

I love being in Greece for many reasons but being a Mac owner here is not easy.

Oh, and thanks a mil for the info, much appreciated.

This may be a completely stupid question but...

If I don't get the adsl working by the time I get the new iMac is there any possibility of hooking up the old mac (connected to the net via 56k modem) via firewire to the new computer and accessing internet through the old computer? I understand that this may be possible on PCs via network settings but I doubt it would be possible on a Mac via firewire. If so - any links for me to digest?

Or is that just daft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Gordon,
    Go to Asante (http://www.asante.com/products/index.asp) and look through their products. Then order by Fedex, which will make sure to deliver to you. I have been using them for years here in Tokyo and they are not expensive. They offer routers in all types of configurations. For example I use a friendlynet (can`t remember the number, maybee 5005) router which has a serial printer port, a cable modem port and a standard telephone port on it. Many router incorporate a standard telephone port for maintenance. This should do you nicely.

Gordon:

As far as I remember, it's pretty easy to share out an internet connection using a Mac running OSX, and as you'd be using a modem on one side of it, it'll only need one ethernet port, which it'll invariably have. Note that I said ethernet here, not firewire - even Beige G3's have ethernet as standard, so if both machines are newer than that, you're sailing. You'll need a crossover ethernet cable (as opposed to a patch cable) in case your machines don't have autosensing ports that can tell one from the other - the actual type of cable are commonly known as "Cat5" (short for "Category 5") and should be available in any computer store - in other words, you're asking for a "Cat5 crossover cable" in your best Greek :D

I was about to say "any ADSL modem/router that can be connected to your computer using ethernet as well as/instead of USB will work" but the more I think about it, I can't be 100% sure as I'm unfamiliar with the Greek phone system. If it's digital, as is the case, I believe, in France, then the whole ball game changes. Having said that, any device you buy in Greece should probably work, based on the reasonable premise that the entire country uses a single, unified phone standard for their phone systems...

Hmm... Brand names? Eh, off the top of my head: Linksys, D-Link, Zyxel, Belkin, Buffalo, Netopia... plus a bunch of others I can't think of right now.

[edit]As I don't think anyone's clarified this yet, a DSL "modem" is exactly what you'd expect - a dumb device that allows the computer to connect to the internet. A "router" on the other hand, is a modem with more "smarts", so to speak - it's able to open internet connections by itself, and comes with network-related features such as firewalls and DHCP servers. Quite often there's also either an ethernet hub (i.e. "multi-way ethernet adaptor") or a wireless equivalent built in too[/edit]

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

Yup, very much help, thanks very much for that.

I'll go for the Greek equivelant of a crossover cat5 cable and use both macs for a wee while until I get the modem/router info from the shops. I deffo have the ports.

Thanks for that! :)

So I took a look at the Tellas website to try and find the specs of the ADSL modem/router but couldn't find any. There are a couple of key questions that you'll need to get answered...

1) Is the ADSL modem/router USB only? If the answer to this is yes, then unless there are Mac OS drivers available I don't believe you'll be able to use it with your iMac as I would suspect the drivers will probably not be available for the OS X. So my operating agnostic comment above may not be entirely correct

2) Does the ADSL modem/router have an Ethernet connection? If the answer is yes then this version will work with your iMac - you'll just need an Ethernet cable to connect one to the other.

3) Finally is it a Wireless ADSL modem/router? If the answer is yes then it'll work with your iMac as it also supports wireless connectivity.

I have a Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php. This connects to my ADSL enabled line from Eircom and then provides me with wireless coverage for all my devices (PCs, Mac, PSP) without the need for any cables. I got mine from Amazon. You can buy the modem/router yourself and just connect it to your ADSL enabled line - in other words you don't have to use the free modem/router that is supplied by Tellas!

A good website for reference information on ADSL, modems and routers is http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/summary.asp. It is aimed at the UK market however the principles should be applicable in Greece also.

There is more info available here including a couple of diagrams and an explanation of filters --> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/connections.asp

I hope some of this helps,
    Cheers!

Thanks for checking out the site sidekick. You're saying that if it is USB then it would most likely need drivers but if it connects via ethernet then id doesn't need drivers? Hence ethernet simply needs the correct setup procedures, providing the lines are digital (which I think they are..). I'm going to check out these modems/routers that you guys have spoken about (very interested in wireless but it'll undoubtedly be more expensive!). Importing anything into greece from Amazon may not actually make it to my door as it may go via the import police or some other person that wants me to pay obscene tax and make me fill out a plethora of papers.

Next stop is the shops for modem/routers.

Thanks again, I was feeling a bit down about not having internet on the new Mac but I'm cheering up now! :)

• Advertisement

You may already have checked out these guys but just in case... http://www.adslgr.com/

There is a forum section so you may be able to get some very specific help for Greece and Tellas.

Let us know how you get on :)

I just wanted to clarify stuff here.

From what I can find out, the Greek telephone system is analogue, operates on the same voltages etc., and (generally) uses RJ-11 connectors, which means that it's (as far as any sort of modem goes) identical to what's in Ireland, the US and a bunch of other countries. You don't need a digital line for broadband; 90%+ of the world (including the world's richest country, the US, and Ireland) gets by with dear old analogue, so that's not a point of worry.

As regards modems/routers, generally speaking (with a small number of exceptions - I believe Australia's Bigpond is one, though I think that's because they were early adopters before standards were properly set) there's nothing stopping you using any type-compatible modem/router you please (i.e. a DSL modem to connect to a DSL service, or a PSTN modem for dial-up internet access), to get your connection up and running; the only difference is that you probably won't be able to use the included instructions word-for-word. In practice, this means that if the ISP sends you a USB-only modem, you should be able to get them to replace it with an ethernet ready one (as you're probably not the only non-Windows DSL user in their region) or just go out and buy yourself one.

Quite often, there's very little difference between the price of a wireless router and a wired-only router (generally speaking there's no such thing as a wireless modem as it needs a computer connected to it to tell it to open a connection, whereas the router can do that without outside intervention (if properly configured, anyway))

This isn't something you should be worried about. You'll find a system that works for you, and it probably won't be as obscure or expensive as you might think based on what's been said earlier in this thread.

Gadget

Thanks guys.

A couple of nice young ladies in a shop notified me that I had to get my telephone line altered to get adsl also. So I checked all that out. The prices are quite expensive so I'm going to have to try and find a way to have dialup for now unfortunately. You've given me some great advice so I'm storing all this up for the big push.

If you're interested, here's the breakdown of prices I found out today:
    384/128 kbps adsl
    Activation fee from Eircom [OTE its called here]: 34,99 € (without 19%Vat)
    Monthly fee from Eircom [OTE]: 15,90 € (without VAT)
    Ethernet modem/router (pstn): (cheapest one) 92€ [level 1 brand] although a Linksys wireless is a decent 90€
    3 Month ADSL connection: From 58-67 Euro (without vat) depending on the company I end up with.

I though I'd end up paying around 100 euro bimonthly but it works out at around 60 euro per month (as I have to pay a line rental on top of the adsl rental - at 28 euro bi monthly) which added together with all the activation and modem router stuff it leaves me with eating baked potatoes for a few months.

I reckon the all in one packages may be the way forward as they probably force you to go carrier preselect (I think that's the right phrase) which may or may not delete the monthly line rental. This is my next hurdle (language wise) to jump over.

Also, I'm going to look around for a telephone-ethernet converter in hope that I can use it to get 56k on the new iMac.

Phew, this is such a learning curve for me!

Gordon:

There's no such thing as a telephone-to-ethernet adaptor - unless, perhaps, you consider something like an Airport Extreme (not Express!!! There's a big difference!!!) - this is a wireless base station that has a built-in modem and can also plug into an ethernet DSL modem down the line if you go that route. It also has a LAN port that you could plug into a small hub and plug your two Macs into, or simply connect your old Mac using wired ethernet and the new iMac using the (as far as I remember) built-in wireless.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

I don't think it's terribly cheap (US price is 200 dollars) - and as such you may want to invest in surge protection for both the phone line and the power supply to this thing - but it could solve your problems at a stroke, and give you a logical route to DSL later (assuming that Wireless LAN standards haven't moved on again in the interim). It'll also allow you to share a USB printer if you want to, which might also be handy.

(Can't imagine why I didn't think of this sooner...)

Hope this helps...
    Gadget

Interesting info there Gadget. I'm going to have a looksee for Wireless internet here, maybe that could be a product that isn't advertised as much as 384 ADSL. Otherwise I think it's a high price for solving my problem, even though it's a good investment for the future. If all else fails I'll probably buy the usb modem from the Applestore. However, a mate has a mate who has done a few installations of adsl on macs over here so I'm going to check out his view of certain products on the market too.

Much obliged, I wouldn't have even considered Airport for this. Thanks again!

You may have misunderstood me (I think).

The Airport is a wireless router (as in it's intended to share a wired internet connection between one or more computers in a house/office/whatever location using your choice of wired or wireless ethernet connections), the difference between it and virtually every other wireless router out there is that it's got a modem built in. There used to be a fair few routers out there that had, but not these days - the Airport Extreme (the "Extreme" moniker is because it supports the faster 802.11g wireless standard, where the original Airport only supported 802.11b) is the only one I can think of with an ordinary dial-up modem built in as well (or the facility to be able to plug one in, even...) virtually all such devices assume you've got broadband (either cable or DSL) these days.

In case I misunderstood you, I'll try and be absolutely specific with what I mean here:

The Airport Extreme is not a device to allow you to connect to some wireless service provided by an ISP (such as Irish Broadband and their Ripwave stuff, which I'm sure you've seen mention of on boards). It is a box that contains the following things:
    * A router (as in a box of tricks that includes a firewall, NAT, stuff like that - what you need to connect more than one computer to the thing and share internet access relatively safely).
    * A WAN port - an ethernet port intended to be plugged into a DSL modem, a cable (as in "cable TV") modem, or other high-speed (relative to dialup) internet service. ("WAN" == "Wide Area Network" - basically, the ISP's network in this case)
    * A LAN port - an ethernet port that you can plug your computer into. Some routers sport a built-in hub - essentially a multiple adaptor for ethernet - that allows you to plug more than one computer in - but the Airport doesn't. No big loss, as you can pick one up for half nothing and plug it into the Airport yourself.
    * A Modem - yes, an old-fashioned dial-up modem.
    * An 802.11b/g wireless access point (AP) - this is the lump of radio hardware and associated electronics that allows the Airport to connect to other computer(s) using radio/wireless technologies.

Now, in terms of how all this comes together, it's like this. The router sits in the middle. To one logical "side" is the Internet at large - the Airport can connect to this through either the WAN port (assuming there's some sort of suitable modem plugged into it), or through the phone line using the modem, or (if I remember correctly) can use the modem as a fallback if the other connection goes down. You can tell the Airport exactly how you want it to operate in this regard using the Airport software tools (which will work just fine on a Mac, unsurprisingly :D)

Traffic from whichever internet connection you use gets passed to the router, which acts like a traffic cop - it decides what traffic is meant to go from your local network to the internet, from the internet to your local network, and what should not pass (e.g. certain types of bad traffic from the internet will get blocked - this is what the firewall bit does - and traffic that's supposed to be going between computers on your network won't be let out on the the Internet at large if it's not meant to be there. It also does a bit of what's called Network Address Translation - this is where each computer inside your network gets a "local" address, and before data passes from any of these computers onto the Internet at large, the router pretends that it is sending the data by stating that it is the originator of the data, and when whatever response comes back to the original message, it figures out who should get the response, rewrites the destination address accordingly, and sends it on - the reason for this is that as far as the ISP is concerned, there's only a single computer connected to their system from your house/office whatever - and as far as they're concerned, the Airport is that computer.

Now, for you to connect your computer to the internet using such a device, you can either connect to the wireless hub using the Airport card in your iMac (I don't know if your other machine has a wireless card in it or not), or (alternatively) you can connect the computer's ethernet port to the LAN port on the Airport using a Cat5 ethernet cable. By buying/obtaining a cheap ethernet hub, you can attach more than one computer to the Airport - simply connect the hub the Airport, and connect the computers to the hub.

I hope there isn't too much detail there, or that the level of detail isn't too Fisher-Price, but hopefully it might help you get a handle on what you're trying to do here. With the exception of the references to the dialup modem, what I've said above applies equally to any other wireless/wired router on the market.

The only other things I'd add to this are:
    * If you decide to use a router such as the Airport, you don't need to have any specific computer on to access the internet - the Airport/other router will take care of that for you. If you use one PC to share an Internet connection, the sharing computer will have to be running for as long as the other computer needs an internet connection.
    * At least while you're using dialup, examine the settings that decide when the router dials up the internet carefully. As the router decides for itself when it'll dial out, you'd want to keep it on a tight leash in case it racks up a monster phone bill!!!

Gadget

Ah, thanks for the clarification (it was just fisher-price enough for me to understand!) I seem to have half understood you previously.

To go with this option I'd need to therefore buy the extreme at 200 dollars and then if I went for ADSL in the future I'd need to buy the modem/router thing so it still works out quite expensive whereas I can try and get the usb modem deely that Apple are hopefully selling on the website for around 50 dollars. So I think that's the only way for now concerning price and wallet situation!

You're very good there, thanks again Gadget. Here's hoping ADSL prices get a chunk cheaper over here in the near future :/

Well, if you buy the Airport Extreme thingy, all you'd be missing when you'd decide to go with broadband is a DSL modem, which are a less complex (and therefore usually less expensive) beast than a router - though these are also now considered "commodity devices", if you know what I mean, in terms of being cheap and available. The advantage that comes with this is that your computers wouldn't require any reconfiguration or anything like that - just change a few settings on the Airport (to tell it to use a DSL modem on the WAN port instead of the 56k dialup modem) and you're away. I don't think that there's actually much of a difference in price between an external (i.e. Ethernet/USB) DSL modems and an external (serial/USB) 56k modem. Just did a quick check for a frame of reference here, and I've spotted a few different models available on-line in Ireland for about 40 euro inc. VAT.

I think it's a good way of getting a workable system (with wireless capabilities almost as an added bonus) that can be upgraded to DSL/whatever later relatively cheaply (I mean here that the upgrade is cheap) and with a minimum of fuss, and the whole thing is Apple-friendly by virtue of the simple fact that it's made by them - unfortunately, this is reflected in the price tag. :D

(Sorry about the slow reply - was "off the grid" for a few days)

Gadget

I think the Airport would be an expensive luxury to me right now. It's a great choice but would be an expensive way of getting 56k for the new mac and if I get DSL it would simply be there for having no wires. A nice situation but it doesn't actually bother me that much being tangled up with cables at the moment. As for the upgrade - here the free adsl modems are not Mac compatible apparently, they only give out USB modems as opposed to ethernet modems. But I will check out the models of all modems when the time comes and check for mac compatibility.

Irelands modems are 40euro? Well I guess they are here but the ethernet modems are 95-105 euro.

In other news I'm getting a friend to go to an Applestore and buy a usb modem 56k from them. I've asked on the Mac discussion forum about it and one person replied saying that they went in to an Apple store and tried to buy one but they didn't have any. They didn't think that people would want them apparently!

If this doesn't work my next option is either taking a slight risk on buying one of two external usb modems that seem to work for mac (Zoom and bestdata iirc) or wodging out a hefty sum for the airport (which would be cool).

Having little money is such a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I don't speek or read Greek but "Crypto" - when googled - links back to mostly Greek sites.

Anyway I came accross this - LINK - also a Crypto product but with Ethernet which should work fine with the Mac and also be supported by your ISP or at the very least by someone here who can help you set it up. The "splitter" is just as Gadget explained above and can be bought from most telco shops for a couple of squids.

By the way broadband is dear in Greece - 79 yoyos for a 1Mb connection.

ZEN

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:
    Irelands modems are 40euro? Well I guess they are here but the ethernet modems are 95-105 euro.

Well, they start from about 40 (both USB and Ethernet flavours). Here's an example of an ethernet modem for E38:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1136304&productID=167358

BTW, I can empathise with the "having no money" issue - it's a pain in the neck!

Gadget

Cheers guys.

Minimum wage here is around 600euro per month iirc, it hasn't risen in years even when the euro came in, the stock market crashed, the Olympics money was syphoned off and new parliament came into power offering to f*ck things up even further. And prices seem to be the same as London according to a mate of mine that recently visited there.

I was on the apple discussion chat with a representative (for at least half an hour) just asking where to buy the usb modem. He mailed me today to tell me that Apple finally have the modem on their website store.

That'll be my first point of call until prices drop here.

I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the info again.

Advertisement