Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Competency Course

Options
  • 22-07-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I have a shotgun for clays, had it around 4 years. I'm now looking to get a .22, do I have to do another "course" relevant to the firearm I'm applying for, or will the shotgun "course" be enough? Also will membership of a gun club suffice as my "good reason" for the .22, or do I need land permissions as well?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

Im nearly sure the proof of competency is for your first firearm application and any subsequent applications it would be deemed that you have already proved competency.
    as regards needing new permission/land/club to shoot on, does the club you use have a 22 range? If so then thats adequate. Just that some supers may state on your grant letter 'for use at an authorised range only.' I'd get some land to go with the range too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The competencey course depends on the Garda dealing with your application he may accept your previous experience as proof of confidence or may require you to do it based on it been a rifle.
    If your club is solely a clay pigeon shooting club, than the answer is no. Rifle ranges authorized by the Guards where as clay ground require little or nothing. You will need membership to an authorized range or land permisson for hunting.

Advertisement