Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a dry stone garage

• 04-06-2014 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am bidding on a house on Co Mayo and as part of my budget for buying I need to build a garage. I want something very traditional that won't look out of place in an area where obtaining planning permission may be difficult.

I would really like to build a dry stone garage reminiscent of traditional farm out buildings with a corrugated roof. We will get some proper plans drawn up but I'm expecting it to be 4.5m wide by 10m long. I also would like a loft area accessed with external stone steps very much in the same style as an old farm building.

My question is...

1. Does this sound feasible?
    2. Does anyone have a clue on how much something like this would cost per sqr mtr.
    3. Has anyone on here any experience of something like this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

MedusaV8 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am bidding on a house on Co Mayo and as part of my budget for buying I need to build a garage. I want something very traditional that won't look out of place in an area where obtaining planning permission may be difficult.

I would really like to build a dry stone garage reminiscent of traditional farm out buildings with a corrugated roof. We will get some proper plans drawn up but I'm expecting it to be 4.5m wide by 10m long. I also would like a loft area accessed with external stone steps very much in the same style as an old farm building.

My question is...

1. Does this sound feasible?
    2. Does anyone have a clue on how much something like this would cost per sqr mtr.
    3. Has anyone on here any experience of something like this.

Thanks

Thats 90m²/968 sq ft of floors space thats a lot even in a rural setting you may have to justify the need for such as size to the Planning authourity during the planning process

A very rough costing for 300mm cavity wall internal + 200mm dry stone cladding, pointed internal finish, with timber joist/plywood first floor concrete ground floor would be Circa €60,000.

Advertisement