Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

menoscemo wrote: »
    Tonight was supposed to be an 8 mile tempo run with 4 at HMP. I wore my DS trainers for the first time since Cork Relay. I have been loving the Lunarglides lately.

First two miles were warm up at 9 min/mile pace but the legs felt stiff and heavy. I launched into the LT miles but immedaitely noticed I was sluggish. The legs weren't moving at all een though I noticed The HR was up where it should be. Plodded out two miles anyway 7:38 (155) 7:51 (160). and decided to call it a day at that. i wasn't feeling it at all and the pace was non existant. I should be doing 7:20s at this effort level. I feel my legs are ridiculously stiff and tight and I am not able to stretch the stride out at all. The Asics DS are a great trainer but the have really stiff soles. Stiff soles on stiff legs is not a good combo. I am defiantely getting a foam roller tomorrow, I really haven't been stretching at all lately and it is catching up on me. I also feel the heat is having a real effect on me as weel. The last two runs have been particularly sluggish. I hope to improve over the weekend. I will try repaet this session again next week.

4.4 miles @ 8:25, Av HR 145

Snap ... I found the LT session to be pretty rough too. Strange as I just did a HM last month at just a little below this pace so you'd figure it would be a breeze - well maybe not a breeze. For what it is worth I stretch religiously _after_ every run, as soon as I stop running - my bout with ITBS made me a believer. I would never be able to train regularly without it. The other thing is making a big difference for me this time around is doing the recovery runs on grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

14 in phoenix park this morning. I did the first 10 at about 9:10ish pace with Shels, Gerard 65, Eoin Ryan, Rq and xebec (for a bit). I kicked on alone for th last 4. I elt really fresh so decided to up the pace a bit. I ended up running miles 10-13 in 7:50, 7:18 and 7:20 and cooled down on mile 14 with a 9:00.

Great confidence run. That means that thursdays failure to do the LT miles was a one off, I was able to go much faster today with 10 miles already in the legs!!

Overall 14 miles at 8:45 pace. Av HR 145.

Weekly total: 5 runs 38.6 miles (1.4 miles short of goal)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I picked up the pace a bit after I left you, wouldn't have got to that pace today though I don't think so it's just as well I didn't stick with you. Always good runs we have to get more of them going again, nice to have a decent run out of the way so early in the weekend.

I picked up the pace a bit after I left you, wouldn't have got to that pace today though I don't think so it's just as well I didn't stick with you. Always good runs we have to get more of them going again, nice to have a decent run out of the way so early in the weekend.

If you had stuck with us, I would have slowed down for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Sorry for disappearing all of a sudden, knee was really starting to hurt and realised I was getting further from home... Good call to turn around as I ended up walking most of the way home. Physio visit this afternoon, nothing too serious just some stretching and strengthening as well as some rest... He gave the ITB and glute a rub too, **** me that hurt!

• Advertisement

If you had stuck with us, I would have slowed down for ya :)

I'd just have pushed too run faster than you. I'm far too competitive.

Absolute roaster this evening touching 26c. I decided to give one of the tougher sessions for the week a miss and hope it cools down over the next few days.
    5 mile recovery @ 9:27 pace. HR 135.

My LSR's are going to be affected over the coming 2 weekends. This weekend it should be a straight 15 mile run but I am racing a half marathon. Next weekend It should be a 16 w 10@PMP but I am recceing the mountain plod (another HM). I am supposing that the 13@HMP this weekend should cover the PMP miles due next weekend because there is no way I am making PMP over those hills next weekend :p. I will probably throw on a few extra miles next weekend to make up the 16. This weekend it should be about 15 anyway with warm up and cool down, so not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Menoscemo, sounds like you have started into the P & D program early - have you decided what your PMP is?

Might see you in Enniscorthy at the weekend, if you wait for me at the finish line that is!

RAL3 wrote: »
    Menoscemo, sounds like you have started into the P & D program early - have you decided what your PMP is?

Might see you in Enniscorthy at the weekend, if you wait for me at the finish line that is!

Are you doing enniscorthy? If so I don't expect to finish ahead of you....
    Yeah, I am into week 4 already. Started 3 weeks early as I am away for a fortnight at the start of August. I will try to get a few runs in but will probably need another week to recover as well.

PMP is 8 minute miles for the minute anyway. I have only had to run them once so far (13m w/ 8m@PMP) and it felt ok.

Are you doing enniscorthy? If so I don't expect to finish ahead of you....
    Yeah, I am into week 4 already. Started 3 weeks early as I am away for a fortnight at the start of August. I will try to get a few runs in but will probably need another week to recover as well.

PMP is 8 minute miles for the minute anyway. I have only had to run them once so far (13m w/ 8m@PMP) and it felt ok.

Well done, thats great motoring.

I'm starting this week and I'm using Enniscorthy as the first LSR, hopefully to enjoy the race & athmosphere without too much pain.

See you at the start line......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Good running there bud. Dont worry about the odd session going bad, it happens to us all:-)
    Ral3 my arch enemy:-)
    I owe you a beating on a finishing straight soon bud:-*

Having never done a workout with so many strides before I wasn't sure how to play this one. The P&D book recommends doing the strides at the end of the workout, so what I did was to run 7 miles at GA and the find a nice flat area near the end of the run and do 100m sprints back and forth while walking/jogging 60m in between reps to make up the last mile. All suggestion as to how to do this better are welcome.

Anyway overall 8 miles at 8:26 pace av HR 146. The last mile with the strides was 7:31 @ 162 so it borght the Av HR right up, the strides themselves were done at around 4:50 min/mile pace.

Gave my new Lunarglides their first spin out tonight and decided to head from home right up to Phoenix park, do a 5 mile loop and come back. Legs were surprisingly good tonight and the pace was excellent for the effort level. Got a bit thirsty on the way back and encountered a few hills I hadn't expected. All I can say is Chapelizod Hill Rd :eek: I found out it's 2.8 miles to Phoenix park which is why the run was a little longer than the planned 10.

Anyway 10.6 miles @ 8:30 pace. Av HR a surprisingly efficient 143.

Weather was much more bearable tonight; a few degrees cooler than it has been and a lot less muggy. I would settle for this weather on Sunday.

Chapelizod hill road is the most amazing place in the world, there's no better place to run at the end of a 20 miler or back to back LSR's. I love it and tend to bast most of my runs around finishing up on it. :D

Chapelizod hill road is the most amazing place in the world, there's no better place to run at the end of a 20 miler or back to back LSR's. I love it and tend to bast most of my runs around finishing up on it. :D

Yeah it is certainly short but very sharp. I noticed headin down to the park on the downhill that it was steeper than I thought, but I wasn't prepared to see how steep the incline actually was as I headed back up it.

So what's your plans for the weekend? Are you gonna head down to Enniscorthy on saturday?
    I Am debating between heading straight back to Dublin after the race to see England getting knocked out by Germany, and staying down there to watch it. Whaddya think?

Plan is to head down with you on Sunday if thats cool...and I'll come home when ever you are providing you're willing to wait around for me to bring my pacees home. :) I can bus it home though if you want to head straight home.

Plan is to head down with you on Sunday if thats cool...and I'll come home when ever you are providing you're willing to wait around for me to bring my pacees home. :) I can bus it home though if you want to head straight home.

That's cool.
    I'd say I can wait until you come in with your pacees at 12. I'll need to do a mile or so warmdown as it's supposed to be a 15 for me this weekend. We can see what the craic is then, if there's a few looking to go for a bite to eat or a drink then we can stay on and watch the game.

5.1 miles recovery @9:24 pace Av HR 134.

That's it ahead of the Half in Enniscorthy on Sunday. Goal is just to break 1:40, hopefully I can do that at 95% effort as I don't want to mess up next weeks training too much. Anyway the plan is to head out at 7:30 -7:40 miles for the first half (depending on hills) and see what's left on the way in. I gather from reports that the second half is mostly downhill or flat, so I won't try to kill myself on the first half. Hopefully the weather stays realtively cool.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck on Sunday :)

Early start to this one, up at 6:30 for the 7am trip down with RQ and Stupid private. Met loads of boardsies and all the pacers at registration. Met Ral3 as well and we decided to head out together at 7:30 miles. Surprisingly I dropped him at 2 miles.
    The course was very undulating and despite the uphills on several miles, the next one was always down to compensate. I Found myself speeding up after about 3 or 4 miles and had to reel myslef back. That said, no-one passed me after 3 miles, I reeled everyone in ahead one by one. The next person was always the one to focus on. A few relay runners did go past at the changeovers but I caught them up after. Ifelt I was very comfortable and was running well within myself I was focusing on keeping the HR under 165 more so than pace.
    At about betweek 8-10k came what i felt was the toughest part of the course, it seemed to be uphill all the way and I took a horrible stitch. Momentarily I was very uncomfortable but somehow I go rid of the stitch on an uphill section while passing out 2 runners.

After KM11, It was mostly downhill or flat and I cruised home. The support was great and for a change I had enough in the tank to enjoy the moment, High 5 a few kids and thank all those cheering me on.

For the last 3 miles we turned onto the N11 and it was a bit of a drag. There was no-one within 200 yards behind and the next group ahead were a little too far to catch. I maintained the distance between them and me, even caught them a bit but I was well on course for target time and didn't really feel like speeding up to catch them. So I ended up cruising the last 3 miles to come in. Splits were as follows:

7:34, 7:23, 7:32, 7:16, 7:19, 7:34, 7:19, 7:37, 7:02 :eek:, 7:26, 7:41, 7:15 and 6:40 for the last .1 mile
    Overall 13.1 miles in 1:37:16. Av HR 164. Really delighted with that, more than I could expect. This was probably the best I have paced a race before and certianly the most comfortable I have ever felt doing it.

1 mile warm up gives 14 miles for the day.

Weekly total: 5 runs 42.7 miles, 1 race, 1 PB (By 11 minutes). 1 yearly goal achieved as well (sub 1:40 HM).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done Menoscemo, great time. Congrats on the pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice to catch up with you Menoscemo. Solid running, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Well done mono, you're now faster than me over the half.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Well done mono, you're now faster than me over the half.

mono? FFS get it right for once!!! Are you still up for recceing the Plod next saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

mono? FFS get it right for once!!! Are you still up for recceing the Plod next saturday?
    Yep

Well done Menoscemo, you were too hot for me to handle today - great run and congrats on the pb.

RAL3 wrote: »
    Well done Menoscemo, you were too hot for me to handle today - great run and congrats on the pb.

Cheers man. I was shocked that you dropped off but you weren't that far behind at the end. I guess that doing loads of miles through the year has it's benefits.
    Well done on your own run. Now that you a re doing a structured programme you'll be flying in no time.
    Look forward to racing you at the pearl Izumi and Rathfarnham 5k, though I'd say you'll be just a distant shadow by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done menoscemo, excellent running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great time and am delighted for you as it's very much deserved, reading through your log the last couple of months and you can see the hard work you've been putting in.
    I had made you my target for DM but on todays results I can forget about it :D
    Well done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Savage running, congrats :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement