Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Choice of Gas boiler

Options
  • 28-05-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Thinking of changing my mains gas boiler which is currently behind the fire place in the sitting room.
    I am aware of 2 types of boiler a condenser gas boiler and a dual boiler (think thats what its called). Just wondering if anyone would have any advice as to which would be the better choice in regards to the running costs and performance for a family of 5 adults in a 3 bedroom semi

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

lorflower wrote: »
    Hi Thinking of changing my mains gas boiler which is currently behind the fire place in the sitting room.
    I am aware of 2 types of boiler a condenser gas boiler and a dual boiler (think thats what its called). Just wondering if anyone would have any advice as to which would be the better choice in regards to the running costs and performance for a family of 5 adults in a 3 bedroom semi

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by dual boiler. All new boilers are A rated and condensing. The better makes would be Ariston, veismann and Worcester Bosch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Thanks
    You will very restricted with choice unless you change from a BBU to a system boiler. The other issue you will have if you wish to keep your existing BBU location is the condense discharge. Cost of condensing BBU will be probably twice a normal boiler cost. Baxi do them.

You could change the location & re-pipe to suit.
    I think the "dual" boiler you are referring to is a combi boiler but that won't be suitable for a BBU (back boiler unit) with a gas fire fronting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lorflower

Thanks for the replies
    pipe work in place for boiler to be place in kitchen and disconnect existing back boiler. It's the combi boiler I was thinking of that allows you to have hot water on tap and doesn't need a storage tank....Would this system be dearer to run considering the cost of gas Is this system better than the condensing unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Thanks for the replies
    pipe work in place for boiler to be place in kitchen and disconnect existing back boiler. It's the combi boiler I was thinking of that allows you to have hot water on tap and doesn't need a storage tank....Would this system be dearer to run considering the cost of gas Is this system better than the condensing unit
    Combi boilers are also condensing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Selecting a combi depends on your water demand (how many bathrooms?) and the available water pressure, and water quality (you would have to pretreat hard water) but if it all stacked up, it's very efficient to only heat the water as you want and demand it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement