Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underfloor with no screed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

The main downsides of that design is 1) you have no thermal mass to store & dissipate heat & no thermal mass generally does not suit UFH and 2) timber is a natural insulator, thus poor at allowing the heat through it from the system to the room.

There are suitable designs on the market to allow a light weight mix suitable for timber construction floors & then a suitable floor covering can be applied to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Thanks Shane.

I'm now looking at something like the fermacell 2e22 board. Seems to be designed for this purpose.
    http://www.floorinsite.com/fermacells-underfloor-heating-system-provides-superior-results/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

timod wrote: »
    Thanks Shane.

I'm now looking at something like the fermacell 2e22 board. Seems to be designed for this purpose.
    http://www.floorinsite.com/fermacells-underfloor-heating-system-provides-superior-results/

Yes I see that but where's the thermal mass. Basically it will heat like an on demand system but at lower temperature.
    What is your fuel source?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Hi Shane, I have a gas boiler for the UFH.

The rest of the ground floor is polished concrete, so has an inherent thermal mass, and works very well. It has been up and running for the past 6 weeks. It's just one room, south facing, that will have the wooden floor, and it's on a separate zone, so the yes, a responsive on-demand heat. (I'll probably be installing a stove in that room in the future also)

Tim

Advertisement