Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet Dinosaur

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

anyone know where to find wallpapers from this series? I have done a few searches but cant find any. i think they would make awesome wallpapers for a desktop!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Ok, so do we think they forsook sound scientific theory for high production cost and "wizz-bang!" factor?

I honestly don't understand that. - Dinosaurs are a done deal. You make anything about them and it sells. Always will.

Proof?

Ask any 5 year old boy about Dinosaurs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Smellysaurous always good for a laugh....

BostonB wrote: »
    Smellysaurous always good for a laugh....
    Most 5 year old boys can spell Tyrannosaurus rex, Triceratops, and even Pachycephalosaurus before "elephant", "Bananna" and in extreme cases "Mammy".

Case in point?

Galvasean....:D

Very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    anyone know where to find wallpapers from this series? I have done a few searches but cant find any. i think they would make awesome wallpapers for a desktop!

They seem hard to find. Here is a decent one of Spinosaurus though:
    http://www.google.ie/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://www.imgcrave.com/u/UO6ah.jpg&sa=X&ei=kpaJToPCDIuo8AOj8PUz&ved=0CAoQ8wc4Nw&usg=AFQjCNEdO-QhjInUgcEYsNxGpiLb78vtGQ
    Allosaur wrote: »
    Ok, so do we think they forsook sound scientific theory for high production cost and "wizz-bang!" factor?

I honestly don't understand that. - Dinosaurs are a done deal. You make anything about them and it sells. Always will.

Proof?

Ask any 5 year old boy about Dinosaurs...

Just out of curiosity, how do you rate the original Walking With Dinosaurs series?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how do you rate the original Walking With Dinosaurs series?

For it's time? Pretty good.

For it's time? Pretty good.

I only asked as I was wondering id you're aware of all of the inaccuracies in that programme. It's the most successful dino-mmentary of all time, but some of the science in it was very off (and not just outdated, but wrong for the sake of coolness).
    For example, there is virtually no way Postosuchus urinated in the way it did in WWD. The makers would have been aware of this, but included it anyway for the wow factor.

I only asked as I was wondering id you're aware of all of the inaccuracies in that programme. It's the most successful dino-mmentary of all time, but some of the science in it was very off (and not just outdated, but wrong for the sake of coolness).
    For example, there is virtually no way Postosuchus urinated in the way it did in WWD. The makers would have been aware of this, but included it anyway for the wow factor.

I know, As I said pretty good. But when compared to the looney tunes Dinosaur Revolution, or JFC, or for crying out loud Anything with Nigel Marvin in it (Except for that Primeval episode where a Giga ate him. I reeellyyy liked that one). It looks like a David Attenborough special.

To be honest, WWD had no real precedent (not that I can find anyhow) where Dinos were treated like still living creatures and portrayed in a life environment ala your usual natural history programs. Pre WWD you had a lot of older less "Natural" and more "History" type treatment.
    WWD broke that mold to a certain extent, and became the yard stick for subsequent dino docs.
    It was also developed at a time when Bakkers, Curries, Horners (spit) et. al. theories were becoming more and more widespread accepted. So it is kind of unfair to compare the newer stuff to them. After all they repeated WWDs mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Ok, my two cents...

I have enjoyed it and think it's better than Dinosaur Revolution, I can´t help but to feel a little bit dissapointed at the end of every episode (I've seen three thus far).
    Maybe it is because of the hybrid nature of the show- a cross between the "science-oriented" dinosaur shows we all grew up with, with a narrator explaining facts about fossils and the size charts and all, and the "wildlife documentary" approach made popular by WWD.
    Because both things have to share limited time, the show feels kinda crammed at times, IMO, and there's not a lot of room for good storytelling like there was in WWD.

So despite its being outdated and what not, WWD I think is still better than the newer stuff. The storytelling was better, the animals were treated as if they were live animals, behaving naturally most of the time, and even, at times, the animation seemed more fluid in WWD than in the newer ones- in both Dinosaur Revolution and Planet Dinosaur there are parts where the creatures look very stiff and "plastic-y". Don´t get me wrong- the CG designs and textures and what not are obviously better in the new ones, but the movements of some the creatures (Saurosuchus in Dinosaur Revolution, Ouranosaurus and Edmontosaurus in Planet Dinosaur) leave a lot to be desired.

Or that's what I think :D

PS- Must admit though, the Edmontosaurus design in Planet Dinosaur is the only one I've seen that doesn´t look bloated and pitiful. The ones in March of the Dinosaur were terrible, poor guys :D

Don't forget guys, tonight at 8:30

My Planet Dinosaur book arrived today, currently being held at ransom in the post office though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Another meh episode for me.

The quality of the cgi was quite poor in places again tonight, and some of the animal movements were awful. Now poor CGI etc can be overlooked if the science bits contain new information or the storyline is engaging, but it failed on those counts for me as well.

Only one episode so far has left me thinking that I had not just wasted 30 minutes. :(

I really enjoyed the
    Saurophaganax
    cameo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It was OK - I would prefer longer episodes, and more of a story linked into them :(

Next episode is called new giants and features Mapusaurus and Argentinosaurus.
    "This episode of the documentary series focuses on the new giants, the heavyweights of the dinosaur world. It is only in recent years that experts have unearthed the biggest dinosaurs that ever lived.

One monster eclipsed all others; more than seven times as heavy as diplodocus was the immense argentinosaurus - a single backbone was bigger than a human.

For years, these giants were considered immune to attack from any predator - until the discovery of mapusaurus, a new giant killer whose fate appeared to be inextricably linked to argentinosaurus."

Next episode is called new giants and features Mapusaurus and Argentinosaurus.
    "This episode of the documentary series focuses on the new giants, the heavyweights of the dinosaur world. It is only in recent years that experts have unearthed the biggest dinosaurs that ever lived.

One monster eclipsed all others; more than seven times as heavy as diplodocus was the immense argentinosaurus - a single backbone was bigger than a human.

For years, these giants were considered immune to attack from any predator - until the discovery of mapusaurus, a new giant killer whose fate appeared to be inextricably linked to argentinosaurus."

I expect to see Currie namechecked in the credits then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I don´t buy that last part- Giganotosaurus was already known and even tho they didn´t actually coexist, everyone already imagined Giganotosaurus hunting Argentinosaurus :D

Adam Khor wrote: »
    I don´t buy that last part- Giganotosaurus was already known and even tho they didn´t actually coexist, everyone already imagined Giganotosaurus hunting Argentinosaurus :D
    That would be he fault of the HOrizon program giants of patagonia - or some such.

The one where they redressed an allosaur for the part of Giga.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixTdW6qywY

And Diplodocus as Argentinosaurus...

• Advertisement

No comments about last night?

Thought it was better than the week before. Seems to be an every second one pattern forming for me in terms of episodes I like.:D

I thought that again the time constraints of the show hampered it, and that it was a bit too basic in terms of information, but it was an enjoyable dino fluff piece imho, and did not have me looking at my watch or checking what was on elsewhere.

THe kids loved it. I thought it was good too. That said I know nothing about dino's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I missed last night's episode. :(

Rubecula wrote: »
    I missed last night's episode. :(

Me too. Luckily my ever amazing girlfriend taped it for me :)
    Speaking of which, the Planet dinosaur book she bought me arrived yesterday. Had a bit of a read of it today. Interestingly, the book freely admits that Sinornithosaurus was probably not venemous and there is very little support or evidence for the theory.
    There is also no mention of Saurophaganax. They do however show a picture of it as depicted in the show but it is labeled as 'Allosaurus fragilis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You can download it on the pirate bay :) Just finished watching it there. Quite liked this episode. Wished they were longer though :(

dlofnep wrote: »
    You can download it on the pirate bay :) Just finished watching it there. Quite liked this episode. Wished they were longer though :(

That's exactly what I've been doing :D All the episodes are there now. I'm downloading the last one right now.

And same, I wish they were longer.

Me too. Luckily my ever amazing girlfriend taped it for me :)
    Speaking of which, the Planet dinosaur book she bought me arrived yesterday. Had a bit of a read of it today. Interestingly, the book freely admits that Sinornithosaurus was probably not venemous and there is very little support or evidence for the theory.
    There is also no mention of Saurophaganax. They do however show a picture of it as depicted in the show but it is labeled as 'Allosaurus fragilis.
    There is some debate (and I agree) that Saurophaganax was actually just a big arsed Allosaur

There is some debate (and I agree) that Saurophaganax was actuallyjust a big arsed Allosaur

Oh yes indeed. I would say it actually is. Same with Epanterias. I'm conflicted as I do feel there are far more dinosaur genus names than should be considered valid. However, i'd hate to see us lose acool name like Saurophaganax.

Oh yes indeed. I would say it actually is. Same with Epanterias. I'm conflicted as I do feel there are far more dinosaur genus names than should be considered valid. However, i'd hate to see us lose acool name like Saurophaganax.

Agreed 100%. Saurophaganax sounds awesome, almost like the name of a dragon or something.

• Advertisement

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Agreed 100%. Saurophaganax sounds awesome, almost like the name of a dragon or something.
    But look on the bright side, it makes the Allosaur 23% more awesome.:D

Advertisement