Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear is back - Sunday 27th January

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I fell asleep half-way through the rugby. Some time posted by Hamilton though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Are sportages really only front wheel drive? Thats useless for a jeep

Think they come in 4wd and fwd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Match was obviously played last may, so grounds guys were probably ripping up the pitch anyway!
    The took a few hits well I must say.
    Seemed to be a slightly more down to earth episode.
    Kinda boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It was as if they'd already blown the budget on expensive supercars and they had to make an episode on 5th gears budget - astra, kia and some new mexican car and Hamilton from a lap he did months ago.

They will have to give Vettel another go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So delighted there wasn't another new Aston Martin or Porsche on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I quite liked that mexican car. Not a bad episode tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

recyclebin wrote: »
    It was as if they'd already blown the budget on expensive supercars and they had to make an episode on 5th gears budget - astra, kia and some new mexican car and Hamilton from a lap he did months ago.

They will have to give Vettel another go at it.

Agree somewhat on the budget thing, but I can imaging that wrecking two rugby teams of Kias couldn't have been cheap.
    Or who else here thinks that Kia gladly paid for the damage, because it would be a massive ad for their car and well worth the scuffed bodypanels?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Dord wrote: »
    I quite liked that mexican car. Not a bad episode tbh.

Looked like a Smart roadster IMO. Doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

These boys I think are a little old to be tearing around Twickers, looks a bit sad, the stories on the use of handbrakes and ex gfriends just downright pathetic and embarrassing.

Lewis Hamilton's time excellent although why does the audience laugh at what he says while going round the track. It's not just him but all stars whilst in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This week's episode was sponsored by Kia. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Much as I see the kias as 'white goods', I still find it sickening to be needlessly destroying them.
    I find all these car football matches to be quite boring.
    Re hamiltons lap time, I dont buy it. There is no way that any 2 f1 drivers would be so far apart in time if given identical car and track.
    The celebrity times seem to be gone crazy too since tom cruise went top. I figure they gave him and cameron diaz the top times and then started adjusting times of those who came after by the same amount they adjysted for cruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

mickdw wrote: »
    Much as I see the kias as 'white goods', I still find it sickening to be needlessly destroying them.
    I find all these car football matches to be quite boring.
    Re hamiltons lap time, I dont buy it. There is no way that any 2 f1 drivers would be so far apart in time if given identical car and track.
    The celebrity times seem to be gone crazy too since tom cruise went top. I figure they gave him and cameron diaz the top times and then started adjusting times of those who came after by the same amount they adjysted for cruise.

I don't buy Hamiltons time either. Not a chance he'd be so far ahead of another F1 driver & all the while playing the drums, singing & waving at the camera man. I reckon they just wanted a Brit on top instead of a German, especially Clarkson. That must have been killing him, Clarkson's a racist right-wing bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Looked like a Smart roadster IMO. Doesn't do it for me.

Thought the same myself. They definitely robbed the front design cues from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭kirving

I would think so too. If Hamilton really did beat Vettel by 0.1s, it could be put down to a timing error, so best off giving him a time noone can beat to put a Brit on top for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Felt like a one hour advert for KIA, even with the celebrities other than that I thought it was entertaining enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

As much as i hate to say it but whatever made Top gear unmissable has gone.

I find Fifth gear much more enjoyable watch now and i've been watching top gears since it came back to tv.

Its a shame to see it go down hill but it was inevitable really, they're not getting any younger and they really just look tired on it now.

It's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

PWEI wrote: »
    I don't buy Hamiltons time either. Not a chance he'd be so far ahead of another F1 driver & all the while playing the drums, singing & waving at the camera man. I reckon they just wanted a Brit on top instead of a German, especially Clarkson. That must have been killing him, Clarkson's a racist right-wing bigot.
    It's hard to know alright. There's no doubt Hamilton is quick, but Vettel is also one of the most consistent single lap drivers in qualifying over the last 3 years, so it's not as if he'd be slow.
    I think differences in air temperature and prevailing wind conditions and even track temperature though could make a difference in that car. Vettel came on a very windy day, that'd definitely affect straight line speed of the car. Hamilton is the type also to stay in the car all day lapping until he got the measure of it, see the practice lap? That's how hard he was pushing. All that balls about drumming and singing is all show, the car is so slow compared to what they're used to and some straights are so long that you have time to mess before thinking about the next corner. Also the tyres and fuel level would probably make a difference too, and you can be sure they'd have been set in Hamilton's favour.
    I wonder what time Loeb would do in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

im glad im not the only one who thought it was fixed for Hamilton to be on top, the way he went on about Vettel having a faster car and that the only reason he wins, just irked me, they wanted a british driver on top simple as.

they were very obviously setting it up for Hamilton to take the lead and before Clarkson said his time Hamilton admitted it, he said that he knew it, you could see it the way he was grinning he knew he had top spot, i wouldn't be surprised if he had the lap times and kept going around the track until he knew he had it won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Whatever about the question of last night being fixed for hamilton you gotta remember he nearly matched vettels time when it was wet!!!

I think he was just more determined and the track suited his driving style over the others. The lap looked the most aggressive i've ever seen a car go round, visually you could just tell Hamilton was on the edge as he went round.

pippip wrote: »
    Whatever about the question of last night being fixed for hamilton you gotta remember he nearly matched vettels time when it was wet!!!

I think he was just more determined and the track suited his driving style over the others. The lap looked the most aggressive i've ever seen a car go round, visually you could just tell Hamilton was on the edge as he went round.
    Jenson matched Hamilton's wet time too, so wouldn't read too much into that, what's a wet track anyway? A wet road varies so much in grip that there's almost no point in rating it. The only real way would be to have them all on the same day, but that's not realistic, and even then, whoever got to go first would have the benefit of brakes that hadn't faded with heat and wear.

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Jenson matched Hamilton's wet time too, so wouldn't read too much into that, what's a wet track anyway? A wet road varies so much in grip that there's almost no point in rating it. The only real way would be to have them all on the same day, but that's not realistic, and even then, whoever got to go first would have the benefit of brakes that hadn't faded with heat and wear.

thats my point, if hamilton can post a quick time in the wet then he obviously for some reason can handle that track better. thats why i wasn't too surprised to see such a quick dry time from him.

pippip wrote: »
    thats my point, if hamilton can post a quick time in the wet then he obviously for some reason can handle that track better. thats why i wasn't too surprised to see such a quick dry time from him.
    But I think you missed my point. Jenson posted the same time in the wet as Hamilton, which was faster than Jenson's own dry lap time from a couple of years previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I wonder what time Loeb would do in it?

That is something I'd love to see. Wonder will it ever happen? There is a lot of badgering Jeremy Clarkson on twitter to get him on. Someday who knows.

It why not do a rally driver special and round up a few of the top names for a day, I'm sure they could get a whole episode out of that one.

But I think you missed my point. Jenson posted the same time in the wet as Hamilton, which was faster than Jenson's own dry lap time from a couple of years previously.

Jenson's was a dry lap? no W beside his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,294 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

PWEI wrote: »

^^^
    The bit in bold .....
    sorry, does not compute.

Great-deals-on-musical-instruments..jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Where can this be watched online? Missed last nights episodes unfortunately. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Fair play to the RFU for cooperating. Looked like a lot of fun. Plenty of people moaning that it was boring etc. Dont know what more they're looking for to be honest. Top Gear is still the best show out there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

MikeD22 wrote: »
    I find Fifth gear much more enjoyable watch now...

Same as. It's a really good show.

I much prefer cars I have a realistic chance of owning one day being reviewed. Also like the segments they do on various topics that impact my daily routine, e.g., petrol brand comparisons. Also, better presenters and banter IMO.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

It was a big long KIA ADVERT, though this episode has got to be the worst one this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Really entertaining show I thought. Must say those new kia cars look fantastic. Kia has really emerged as leading car company in terms of build quality and reliability.

Would definitely consider one on the next purchase despite the attached stigma.

Advertisement