Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

k123456 wrote: »
    I need to get an unlock code

Is the unlock code permanemt, now matter how man roms i install

Yes, the unlock code is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

This might be a really stupid question and it is late but how the hell do you checkout on the tesco mobile website:

https://shop.tescomobile.ie/shoppingcart/checkout/index.aspx

Theres no order button!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

So this is the best phone on the market to upgrade from the Orange San Francisco (in terms of price, support for putting a rom on it, specs etc.) for the foreseeable future (next few months)?

Seriously thinking of getting one of these, I've already gotten a free sim card to avail of the €20 off for changing my number to vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ORDOLAN

fitzdragon wrote: »
    Got an unlock code for an Irish vodafone g300 here
    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/specialize?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:1181
    Ordered it around 6.30 pm had the code by 11.30 next day

I ordered the unlock code off this seller, I received an email from them today requesting my IMEI number and model number. Is that normal? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah, the Unlock code will be customised to your phone, and they need the IMEI number to generate it.
    The model number is probably 'Ascend g300 8815'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Akrasia wrote: »
    Yeah, the Unlock code will be customised to your phone, and they need the IMEI number to generate it.
    The model number is probably 'Ascend g300 8815'

Yes it is
    they need to generate unique code for You

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Have had the phone for a week or so now.... its pretty good. If you have the thing loaded with apps, it will slow down a fair bit though. Its pretty hard to keep the number of background apps low.

Just one initial glitch.... the bottom buttons weren't very responsive. It took maybe 3 or 4 presses to make it do anything.

I'm happy to report that after rooting the phone and installing Paul's B888 software (see link below), the buttons are now working 100% and I have nothing bad to say about the phone for the price. (Make sure you get a cover straight away as the whole phone except the glass is plastic and scratches easily)

http://www.modaco.com/topic/353814-modaco-custom-rom-gr2-for-the-huawei-u8815-g300-b888-new-partitionswap/

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Here goes small tutorial how to make most of the phone:

1. Go to Tesco Mobile and order Yourself a free sim card

2. After You have card at Your hand go to Vodafone shop and tell them that You want to switch netork from Tesco to Vodafone -- 20 euros off the phone price.

2a. If You have unwanted phone You can bring it with You and ask Vodafone if they want it - from 5 to 50 euros off the phone price.

3. GO to eBay to purchase unlock code for this phone.

4. Go to ModaCo and follow instruction there to root Your phone.

5. Go to ClockworkMod Recovery for Huawei U8815/Ascend G 300 to install ClockworkMod Recovery (so You can install custom room on it.

6. Go to de-branded Rom for G300 to install custom room on it.

7. At this point You should receive Your unlock code so You can put Your sim in G300 and start playing.

I went thru above and now have unlocked and de-branded phone.

If You have any questions let me know.

Tom

Hey,
    If your already a vodafone customer is it possible to get a free tesco sim card and use it to avail of the €20 euro off ??

Would want to keep the same number. On vodafone site it asks what network your switching from. Have credit on the vodafone ready to go also so dont want to lose that if you have to switch to tesco network to switch back again.

I suppose what i'm asking is, can you make up a mob number, order the tesco sim for the made up number, then get the discount using the made up number with the free tesco sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭k123456

Speaking of covers, can anyone reccomend one and windcreen mount, please

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

Speaking of covers, can anyone reccomend one and windcreen mount, please

Lots of covers on ebay - I got this one for the girlfriend's phone and it fits great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

So this is the best phone on the market to upgrade from the Orange San Francisco (in terms of price, support for putting a rom on it, specs etc.) for the foreseeable future (next few months)?

Seriously thinking of getting one of these, I've already gotten a free sim card to avail of the €20 off for changing my number to vodafone.

I've upgraded from the OSF - its definitely a significant improvement, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

blueyedson wrote: »
    Hey,
    If your already a vodafone customer is it possible to get a free tesco sim card and use it to avail of the €20 euro off ??

Would want to keep the same number. On vodafone site it asks what network your switching from. Have credit on the vodafone ready to go also so dont want to lose that if you have to switch to tesco network to switch back again.

I suppose what i'm asking is, can you make up a mob number, order the tesco sim for the made up number, then get the discount using the made up number with the free tesco sim?

You don't need to make up a number. tesco will do that for you. I entered my vodafone number on the Tesco webpage. They sent me a SIM with a new number. At the Vodafone shop I showed them the SIM. Didn't even take it out of the backing card. They entered this number into the computer and gave me a vodafone sim with this number. I chucked both of these into a drawer and put my original vodafone SIM into the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Took the plunge and just installed official ICS! Pity about all the Chinese shít but that's easy to fix. There was a few hairy moments but I've got it rooted and managed to unlock the bootloader too. Just have to install all the Google Apps and my own.

Adyx wrote: »
    Took the plunge and just installed official ICS! Pity about all the Chinese shít but that's easy to fix. There was a few hairy moments but I've got it rooted and managed to unlock the bootloader too. Just have to install all the Google Apps and my own.

Hi Adyx, is there any anything on the Web, which details how to download and root ICS

Looks like ICS, not a finished article at moment, there was mention of an "Atomic" mod being v fast on modoaco, anyone here tried it or would recomend any other fast and stable Roms

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭somebody_else

I can confirm - have Atomic Mod from 1st day.

Works flawlessly.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

I just got this phone and I'm very impressed so far.

At the moment I'm trying to root the phone. It's my first android so I'm having some trouble. I'm trying to enter bootloader mode but the device is not staying at the Huawei logo and the phone boots up normally. Is this supposed to happen? According to that MoDaCo link it says it should stay at the Huawei logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

clonadlad wrote: »
    I just got this phone and I'm very impressed so far.

At the moment I'm trying to root the phone. It's my first android so I'm having some trouble. I'm trying to enter bootloader mode but the device is not staying at the Huawei logo and the phone boots up normally. Is this supposed to happen? According to that MoDaCo link it says it should stay at the Huawei logo.

When the phone vibrates take you finger off the power button but keep it on the vol button for longer, maybe like ten seconds.

Hi Folks just got phone , hoping to put Atomic Mod on it, cant see where to download from

and is the same install steps as
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/353860-help-im-new-and-i-cant-do/

There has been some mention of some roms, not being reversible, is Atomic Mod reversible (I will hope to put ICS on phone, once it is stable and fully functional)

Thanks for all the useful posts here, great for 1st time Rom installers like me

Memory wise we have 512mb in phone, will that be sufficent to run ICS successfuly or is 512 mb , more suitable for GBbread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

I have rooted my phone, will root stay after update to ics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Hi Folks just got phone , hoping to put Atomic Mod on it, cant see where to download from

and is the same install steps as
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/353860-help-im-new-and-i-cant-do/

There has been some mention of some roms, not being reversible, is Atomic Mod reversible (I will hope to put ICS on phone, once it is stable and fully functional)

Thanks for all the useful posts here, great for 1st time Rom installers like me

Memory wise we have 512mb in phone, will that be sufficent to run ICS successfuly or is 512 mb , more suitable for GBbread

At the moment Atomic Mod is still Gingerbread but with a ICS theme, however it is based on the B888 rom which is almost impossible to downgrade from but honestly I don't see why you'd want to unless you need to return the phone.

It depends on which ICS rom you install but I had the official (Chinese) ICS rom and now I have The Modaco ICS rom on mine and if anything it's faster than on GB.
    iwo wrote: »
    I have rooted my phone, will root stay after update to ics?
    No, and if you install the Chinese ICS rom (which is necessary for the time being) you will lock your bootloader which will prevent you installing any custom roms. However a way has been found around this and it's easy enough to root again after updating.

Atomic Mod

Cheers Adyx, would you have a link handy to Atomic Mod
    had a look on modoco, could not find it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Will the Atomic Mod make my phone much better? Like is it worth the effort of installing? I'm a bit of a noob with all this so bear with me.. Will I be able to update to the official ICS update when it is released if I have already updated to Atomic Mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

clonadlad wrote: »
    Will the Atomic Mod make my phone much better? Like is it worth the effort of installing? I'm a bit of a noob with all this so bear with me.. Will I be able to update to the official ICS update when it is released if I have already updated to Atomic Mod?

The B888 rom which Atomic Mod is based on is a newer version of software currently on your Vodafone branded G300.It should be a lot nippier and without the Vodafone bloat.

You will still be able to update to the official ICS (when it hits these shores) or try one of the current ICS offerings if you can't wait...

I'm currently running the Modaco GR2 gingerbread rom and very happy with it.Going to wait a few weeks until ICS sorts itself out!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

Does anyone know when Vodafone's exclusivity clause to sell this ends?

I've read that people said it'd end in July which of course is now.

I found this article from almost exactly three months ago but still no sign of being able to get it from other vendors....

Anyone know?

I'm after switching to Atomic Mod and I'm just wondering how I transfer all my numbers from my sim card into my contacts? And is there anyway of getting rid of the contacts from Google+ too cause I never use them?

Have updated to Atomic, thanks to all those who came back to me with advice, links etc

Phone is responsive, graphics good enuf, no issues

Will be keeping an eye out for a working tested version of ICS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Have updated to Atomic, thanks to all those who came back to me with advice, links etc

Phone is responsive, graphics good enuf, no issues

Will be keeping an eye out for a working tested version of ICS

Can i ask someone who has installed atomic mod for some help!

I downoad atomic mod from here URL="http://www.modaco.com/topic/355090-rom-atomicmod-huawei-g300-b190612-updated-22-06-12/"

I havn;t got a clue what to do next tho....

do i copy the downloaded files (meta-inf and system folders) to micro sd card ?

am i better off getting rom b886 from here ?? http://www.modaco.com/topic/353860-help-im-new-and-i-cant-do/

this link looks easier to follow....i just want to get rid of some vodafone apps and improve the phone performance a little with whatever vol etc improvements are to be had.

thanks for reading.

Advertisement