Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drinking 7-Up When You're Sick

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

yerayeah wrote: »
    Well it's hardly a great surprise that something like dioralyte which is designed to adequately replace the fluids and electrolytes lost due to diarrhoea, is better at doing this than 7up.

If you're not very sick and have a bit of mild GE, then there's no harm taking some 7up, it gets your blood sugar up a bit and is easy on the stomach. Above all, it is cheap and unlikely to do any harm.

Where's your evidence to back up your claim about 7up causing osmotic diarrhoea??

So you're basically saying its crap, does nothing, but should be advocated because it is "no harm". Nice.

I don't need evidence to assert that drinking large volumes of hypertonic sugar drinks can cause osmosis of water, just as I don't need evidence to show that falling off a two-story building can break your leg.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No
    sesna wrote: »
    So you're basically saying its crap, does nothing, but should be advocated because it is "no harm". Nice.

I don't need evidence to assert that drinking large volumes of hypertonic sugar drinks can cause osmosis of water, just as I don't need evidence to show that falling off a two-story building can break your leg.
    Surely any water lost to osmosis in the small intestine (where glucose would be absorbed) would then be re-taken up in the large intestine later on?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Surely any water lost to osmosis in the small intestine (where glucose would be absorbed) would then be re-taken up in the large intestine later on?

It wouldn't when there is hypermotility of the GI tract in the first place.

Also not all glucose would be absorbed when taken in high quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

It wouldn't when there is hypermotility of the GI tract in the first place.

Also not all glucose would be absorbed when taken in high quantities.

I think ye may be taking this thread waaayyy too seriously! :P

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No
    Millicent wrote: »
    I think ye may be taking this thread waaayyy too seriously! :P
    ...he started it. :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Drink water, much more good for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

What the heck, i've never done that or even heard that!! weird, does everyone do that? Mined i don't know anyone that does that. Thats really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

7-Up > Sprite

NO NO NO!!!!!

Sprite has a horrible bitter sickly taste!! No comparison what so ever!!

Having said that though with a lot of shops buying cheaper 7up abroad some of them taste awful too. The French version tastes like it has gone off. Extra Lime in it I have been told

Sean

NO NO NO!!!!!

Sprite has a horrible bitter sickly taste!! No comparison what so ever!!

Having said that though with a lot of shops buying cheaper 7up abroad some of them taste awful too. The French version tastes like it has gone off. Extra Lime in it I have been told

Sean

Why is 7up the irish alternative to sprite no one on here seems to mention sprite ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

No
    Because 7up has been around longer than sprite, well in Ireland anyway.

• Advertisement

Because 7up has been around longer than sprite, well in Ireland anyway.

rite jw.

owenc wrote: »
    Why is 7up the irish alternative to sprite no one on here seems to mention sprite ever.

Nerd hat on here

Sprite is a Coca Cola product,but over here Coca Cola Ireland had the franchise for 7UP for years so Sprite was never introduced. However eventually Coca Cola decided they wanted their own product on our shelves and Coca Cola Ireland were forced to comply. 7UP International were none too happy with this and took the franchise from them and gave it to C&C(now Britvic Ireland). Considering 7UP was and still is one of the biggest sellers on the Irish Market,this must have been a financial blow to Coca Cola. Worked out well for me though,my Dad worked for C&C so no more secret buying of a rivals product:D and plenty of freebies!!!:p

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned these, as when I was growing up if someone was hit by a truck, they would bring them out on a plate with a glass of 7up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

Schweppes Tonic Water when I'm feeling under the weather - there's nothing quite like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

No
    Oh if a GP told you, it must be true !

The original mark was made somewhat in jest, but to elaborate slightly, there is little direct clinical data to answer the effectiveness of drinking flat 7up from many scientific analyses demonstrating the inappropriateness of non-physiological liquids for treatment of acute gastroenteritis in children, compared with physiologically-based oral rehydration solutions. Therefore carbonated drinks, “flat” or otherwise, including cola, provide inadequate fluid and electrolyte replacement and are advised in any clinical guidelines.

Rehydration sachets and loperamide are effective treatment for diarrhoea.

I see now why there is such a good market for homeopathic products etc.

hmm they are a bit more qualified than you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

No
    Yup Used to boil it and when it cooled down, drank it... Aah the memories.

Nerd hat on here

Sprite is a Coca Cola product,but over here Coca Cola Ireland had the franchise for 7UP for years so Sprite was never introduced. However eventually Coca Cola decided they wanted their own product on our shelves and Coca Cola Ireland were forced to comply. 7UP International were none too happy with this and took the franchise from them and gave it to C&C(now Britvic Ireland). Considering 7UP was and still is one of the biggest sellers on the Irish Market,this must have been a financial blow to Coca Cola. Worked out well for me though,my Dad worked for C&C so no more secret buying of a rivals product:D and plenty of freebies!!!:p

Sean

So yous don't have sprite! :eek: ?

owenc wrote: »
    So yous don't have sprite! :eek: ?

Only since 2001

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elzer

No
    old wives tale or not......its still the best aid for getting ya back on track when you are ill.......boilt 7 up......mother used to throw the stuff at us......and it worked!!!

Elzer wrote: »
    old wives tale or not......its still the best aid for getting ya back on track when you are ill.......boilt 7 up......mother used to throw the stuff at us......and it worked!!!

That's not that bad then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

No
    We never boiled the 7-up, we just stirred the living ***** out of it with a fork. We must've been poor or something.

No
    Dunjohn wrote: »
    We never boiled the 7-up, we just stirred the living ***** out of it with a fork. We must've been poor or something.
    heya,

we've seen the hard times too..... i remenber the pot sitting on the embers on the fire to heat the 7up, up in another time to save gas!!.......i think its just down to peoples preference..... you can shake the bejasus out of it or boil it bit it still does the job......a fixer for you when your not well......i dont think i know many prople that drink fizzy 7 up when sick............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Something to do with electrolytes or something....

Coke is still the best hangover cure though :D

No
    Jev/N wrote: »
    Something to do with electrolytes or something....

Coke is still the best hangover cure though :D
    7up for sickness and coke for hangovers......i definately agree:)

aDeener wrote: »
    hmm they are a bit more qualified than you :rolleyes:

And what exactly are you basing that on ?

I suppose gob5hites CJH, Bertie were saints in your eyes too, who did their best for the country. After all, they did hold office of taoiseach !l

Also, why did you have contact with three different GP's for simple gastro-intestinal upsets? A case of hyperchondriasis, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Elzer wrote: »

Your mother used to throw boiled 7up at you when you were sick? Jesus - she'd be locked up for doing that these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No
    It is a tried and tested Irish mammy elixir. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Muas Tenek

the ultimate formula for rehydration during illness is 1 quarter glass 7up plus 1 spoonful of sugar - fizz up and drink after fizz - result settled tummy :P+ nights sleep = better next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

No
    We were always given 7up if we had the flu. No one shook the fizz out though. And if you had a sore throat my daddy would go get you a pint of ice cream. (got to eat it out of the carton all to yourself) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

No
    This thread is nonsense. Calpol.

Advertisement