Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hmm... Should I sell my Behringer V-Amp Pro in favour of a Pod XT Live?

• 24-07-2006 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

No doubt I get some good use out of the V-Amp Pro, it's a great little unit and makes some great sounds, but just recently the functionality of a floor-based system like the Pod XT Live has been tempting me. Of course, it'll be a while before I could afford the difference between the V-Amp and Pod, but do you think it's worth selling the V-Amp? Or is it worth bothering about at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I had the V-Amp Pro, and an FCB-1010, and loved the rack setup, but hated the clunkiness of programming the Behringer, and the delay in patch switching. I bought the Boss GT-Pro, and couldn't be happier. It takes me less than 5 mins to wire for a gig now, and the sounds are incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I have the Pod xt live. Great piece of kit. Wipes the floor with that vamp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

sei046 wrote:
    I have the Pod xt live. Great piece of kit. Wipes the floor with that vamp

So that's a resounding maybe on your part then Sei? ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Do you use effects enough to warrant one though? Personally, I'd go for the GT-8 with your Engl. The 4 cable method would roxor your soxorz, boxorz and coxorz tbh.

ned78 wrote:
    I had the V-Amp Pro, and an FCB-1010, and loved the rack setup, but hated the clunkiness of programming the Behringer, and the delay in patch switching. I bought the Boss GT-Pro, and couldn't be happier. It takes me less than 5 mins to wire for a gig now, and the sounds are incredible.

Hmm, looking it up now, I think the GT-Pro and midi controler would not only be way out of my price range, but way out of the price I could justify consider what I'd be using it for. As it is, I'm not using the V-Amp Pro for much other than playing around with all sorts of different setting, and playing the few songs I know that might require effects.

I'm not playing live at the moment, but when I will be, I'm not going to be using any effects, and just the amp distortion from my Fireball, so with the stuff I'm writing, there'd be no call to use the GT-Pro live. So for just shy of a grand, I couldn't justify a rackmount Multieffects/Modeler, and midi controller that would otherwise only be used at home.

Hell, I don't really know if I could justify a Pod XT Live for home use. :o

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    Do you use effects enough to warrant one though?

I think that's really the question, isn't it? I seem to be using mostly chorus and delay, some reverb and that's about it. The chorus mainly comes into effect (Haha, effect, get it? :p ) when I'm playing Death songs and the like.
    feylya wrote:
    Personally, I'd go for the GT-8 with your Engl. The 4 cable method would roxor your soxorz, boxorz and coxorz tbh.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that, I've heard the GT-8 was a good deal more complicated to use than the Pod, and seeing the V-Amp is based on the Pod, I'd figure it's a fairly straight upgrade, as it's what I'm more familiar with.

Poppy cock. You can use a computer can't you?

feylya wrote:
    Poppy cock. You can use a computer can't you?

Computer? Whassat? :p

Oh, speaking of computers. The Pod XT Live has a USB port, the GT-8 doesn't. That's a big selling point for me.

Why? GT-8 has digital out.

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    Why? GT-8 has digital out.

Ok, out of sounding like an incompetant tool, you would use the digital out how?

Assuming you want to use the usb port on the Pod for recording, you just connect the digital out on the GT-8 to the digital in on your sound card and record to your hearts content with the nicest sounds :p

feylya wrote:
    Assuming you want to use the usb port on the Pod for recording, you just connect the digital out on the GT-8 to the digital in on your sound card and record to your hearts content with the nicest sounds :p

I'm not seeing a digital in here anywhere, so that's a useless venture. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I have a GT-8. Took me a long time to get happy with it. To be honest Im still not perfectly happy. I have a cry baby wah, but I cant get the same effect from the built in wah. I have a few distortion effects, but I cant get the same from the GT-8.
    My biggest problem is lack of time to fool around with it. It does have some great sounds though.

IMO its real advantage is for live play. Its awkward to switch multiple individual pedals at once, but with one pedal on the GT-8 you can change any number of things.
    Pre-program the exact sounds and delay settings you want. No ****ing about between songs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

feylya wrote:

That's assuming your sound card is any good, or at least as far as I understand. As a USB device the Pod XT Live bypasses your soundcard and acts as one itself. It's good for people like me who have terrible sound cards. Since the recording doesn't involve my soundcard the quality is better.

Although, USB can introduce quite a lot of latency depending on the computer. The only digital input I have on my machine is on the motherboard.

Hmm, I'm still not sure if I'll even bother upgrading from the V-Amp, but I'd still be learning towards a Pod XT Live. We'll see what moneys the birthday bring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Here we go (again). :D

Has anyone here documented how long KH's GAS-free period actually lasted?

I hope someone did, for historical value if nothing else.

:p

2 weeks

Ancient1 wrote:
    Here we go (again). :D

Has anyone here documented how long KH's GAS-free period actually lasted?

I hope someone did, for historical value if nothing else.

:p

Shut it up you! Don't act like you don't get GAS. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I'm in denial.

I keep it all bottled up inside until one day...

image021.jpg

As an aside to that, it's been 6 months since I bought a guitar. :eek:

Oh crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Thats nothing...ive been selling guitars!

That's not gas. That's an illness.

Hmm... I think we're going a little offtopic here, this about talking me into/out of the Pod XT Live.

I'd say the Doc will be the voice of reason come morning time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Get the xt live and a variax - some really cool possibilities there, and it will break your guitar buying drought. I tried to like my Vamp for ages, but it's too damn noisy for recording. The only bit of behringer gear I've been less than completely happy with. Much prefer the GT6 I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I use my pod for effects so its running in series with my amp in the effects loop. To do this properly i have to have the efects mix on my amp up full but that kind of colours the sound as the XT live has no true bypass. Thats the one problem. For Recording the pod is the way to go. No doubts in my mind. It acts as your sound card with no latency. Fantastic way to go. The digital out on the Gt8 is great but not as handy as the pod.

The Gt8 has a wider array of effects and if i only used my d for effects live i would switch to a GT8. Kinda bitchy to use but once you have time its ok. You can also do the 4 cable method with it which you cant with the pod. Not usually an issue. The Pod can be constantly updated and edited via the computer which is really fantastic. brings up your entire rig in real time as you play.

So if you want it for effects only live Go GT8
    If you want it for recording, practicing etc Go Pod. The amps sounds are miles ahead of The Gt's.

• Advertisement

squibs wrote:
    Get the xt live and a variax - some really cool possibilities there, and it will break your guitar buying drought.

That's not going to happen. At the moment, I'm really wondering if I'll even have the cash for the Pod, never mind another guitar on top of that. Besides, I've had my eye on another guitar for a long while now, so if I was to go for another guitar, I know what it'd be. But I won't go into that right now. ;)

I'm scratching my noodle as to whether the proposed upgrade from V-Amp Pro to Pod XT Live is even worth it, so I don't want any other guitars to think about.
    sei046 wrote:
    I use my pod for effects so its running in series with my amp in the effects loop. To do this properly i have to have the efects mix on my amp up full but that kind of colours the sound as the XT live has no true bypass. Thats the one problem. For Recording the pod is the way to go. No doubts in my mind. It acts as your sound card with no latency. Fantastic way to go. The digital out on the Gt8 is great but not as handy as the pod.

The Gt8 has a wider array of effects and if i only used my d for effects live i would switch to a GT8. Kinda bitchy to use but once you have time its ok. You can also do the 4 cable method with it which you cant with the pod. Not usually an issue. The Pod can be constantly updated and edited via the computer which is really fantastic. brings up your entire rig in real time as you play.

So if you want it for effects only live Go GT8
    If you want it for recording, practicing etc Go Pod. The amps sounds are miles ahead of The Gt's.

Thanks for that very objective post there Sei, much helpfull it is hmm.

As you mention, recording, practicing etc is spot on what I'd be after. The V-Amp mostly gets use at night for sessions with headphones, so if the Pod's amp sounds are better then that gives it a definite one up on the GT8 in that reguard. With respect to recording, the Pod sounds like the definite winner here, and updating/editing via computera sounds extremely handy too.

No doubt I'll be using it for effects aswell, but I'm just waiting for someone now to suggest a Pod for record/practice and the GT8 for effects. :D

Advertisement