Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taken 3

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

The next film will be called Taken Tag Tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ugh. The first was enjoyable mainly because of the novelty of watching oscar schindler kick peoples asses. The second one was dreadful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It looks promising actually. I thought they were going to do something stupid like take the granny or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

First movie was great fun and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Second one lost me when he was explaining to his daughter how to throw hand grenades over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The next film will be called Taken Tag Tournament.

no, it will be called Taken the p!ss

• Advertisement

It will be called TAK3N. So it stands to reason that the 8th instalment will be called TAK8N.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Corvo

ziedth wrote: »
    I have to said I think Farell is quite good with accents.

Except in DareDevil.

*shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

TAKEN 2 was garbage. It tried to appeal to the hand wringing HUMANISTS who always try to
    genuflect upon the DEAD MAN WALKING alter. No sons, WE don't want to UNDERSTAND, WE
    want THEM CARVED.

Let's hope number 3 is BACK TO BASICS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Corvo wrote: »
    Except in DareDevil.

*shudders*

I see your Daredevil and raise you an Alexander.

Looking forward to this, its 90 mins of brainless fun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I was in a packed cinema in Manchester and the trailer for this came on a sh!tload of people laughed at it lol, I'm still looking forward to it though...but still might wait for it to come out on dvd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Corvo wrote: »
    Except in DareDevil.

*shudders*

"Mower paynuts"

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Looks like Taken 3 has again been slapped with a 12A rating. Don't know why they insist on ruining this series, the second movie was horrible, I doubt I'll even see 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Seen the trailer in the cinema the other day for it. Have to say I am looking forward to it, but i'm not expecting too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

On my way in to see this now, I'm pretty excited. I caught up on taken 1 and 2 last night, they're still pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

cloud493 wrote: »
    On my way in to see this now, I'm pretty excited. I caught up on taken 1 and 2 last night, they're still pretty good.
    Lets us know what you think of it. The reviews so far don't look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Cut for the cinema release to obtain a 12A. I will wait until it gets the proper 15-rated home release, like Taken 2 received and probably just download it. Hate these stupid cuts!

It was pretty good, for what it is. That is to say, an incredibly stupid action movie. The uncut version will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Went to see this today. Overall it is not a bad movie. It is a lot better than the second. Forest Whitaker was great in it.
    I would say they are going to make another one judging by the end of it.
    7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I saw it yesterday and have to say I really don't understand the bad reviews. I thought it was brilliant and I really enjoyed the whole film. Acting was great from everyone in it and the plot was exciting the whole way through. I'm really happy I went to see it :)

Bit more to add

- its over edited to the point of lunacy
    - the plot is mad and so full of holes it leaks
    - it really suffers from being cut to a 12.
    - slight spoiler - a happy ending, are you joking me?
    - if you can't tell the real villain 15 minutes in, then you don't get these movies.

If I take it a serious action movie, its ****e. If I take as a parody, its pretty good.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Bit more to add

- its over edited to the point of lunacy
    - it really suffers from being cut to a 12

This crap has really got to stop. In my honest opinion this quest to tone everything down for a 12 rating has ruined action movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

After Taken 2 this almost looks as good as Die Hard by comparison :pac:

Im looking forward to the new (albeit ripped off) premise and setting. Apparently Neeson only said yes with two caveats: 1) They paid him $20 million and 2) No one was actually taken this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolute crap, worst movie I have seen in a while. Wasn't enough kills or action to even qualify as a popcorn flick.

Thank god its over now, the first one was amazing like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

rob316 wrote: »
    Absolute crap, worst movie I have seen in a while. Wasn't enough kills or action to even qualify as a popcorn flick.

Thank god its over now, the first one was amazing like.

I havn't seen it but the trailer made it look action packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i thought it was alright.

its NOT actionpacked but TBH i didnt mind as the one thing i took from it is neesons getting on and i dont think he's able for it anymore and the emotional stuff seemed to be the real core of it.

still when it did have action it was enjoyable, though the director did seem to be channeling micheal bay at times (some of the shakey stuff and cuts was bloody annoying).

one mad thing i DID notice was how eveyone seemed to be stuffing their faces every second scene which seems to be a piss take IMO on luc besons tendancy to have people down the boulangeria and quaffing lattes in their plush gaffs ala the "the transporter" films.

seriously i think theres more cooking/bap eating in this than action !

:D

so im afraid i cant call this a popcorn muncher like the first one was. still theres worse ways to spend the afternoon and i have to say i really liked his supporting cast of retired spooks that seem like a surragate family for kim. kinda like that lads from RED done straight.

6/10 from me.

Watched it tonight and it's another in the never ending line of generic, fun for all the family action films which really hasn't a single original idea or moment. Neeson just looks bored and Maggie Grace once again demonstrates that she has all the charisma of a wet sponge sliding down a bathroom wall, she spends most of the film looking as if she needs the bathroom. The rest of the cast are equally forgettable with Whitaker having that thankless role of playing the least competent cop in the history of cinema, he spends a number of scenes twiddling with a chess piece, the kind of forced symbolism that makes you wish you were watching a smarter film. The recasting of the husband was plain odd, it took me awhile to realise that Scott was playing the Xander Berkly role. The CIA team were really underused, I was expecting them to at least get their hands dirty a little and looking forward to seeing them storm a building or at least kill some people.

Speaking of the killing, the action here is obviously neutered so as to gain a lower rating. There's a lot of quick edits and strange moments where the film cuts away from the carnage. The decision to lower the rating makes sense from a financial standpoint but cinematically it just ruins any chance the film had. The big shoot out plays like a bargain basement Scarface and had no real impact, sure it looks alright but it's so overtly familiar that you can name a dozen other films that were almost identical.

For a franchise that started off so well Taken has quickly evolved into one of the blandest and most boring by the numbers franchises out there. It's not terrible, it's just so bland and familiar that it's hard to care.

I thought it was terrible. I mean the expendables 3, thats mediocre, kinda eh. Taken 3 is terrible. Interested to see the un-cut version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I mean they just totally forgot what made the first one so good. Killing! lots and lots of kills. Mindless action and mayhem, that's what an action movie is about the plot can be as ludicrous and full of holes as you want if that's there.

Like the fast and furious movie are silly but each one they do has more explosions and action that the next one, that's why they have got to number 7.

Pg13 ruins another movie, hell, it killed this series.

• Advertisement

It was a lot better than I expected. It's an enjoyable action flick. Were people expecting a thought provoking drama? Granted I thought some of the action scenes were a bit Michael Bayish but its still good, a hell of a lot better than its predecessor anyway.

Advertisement