Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking 7-Up When You're Sick

• 05-06-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I was just wondering whether or not anyone else does this. I remember being sick when I was younger and my mam saying the first thing she'd get me around in the shop was a 2 litre bottle of 7-Up. Is this purely an Irish thing? Been feeling like crap the past few days and I've had a bottle of it next to the bed.

Do you drink 7-Up when you're sick? 288 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    regijdVertakillSimibyteKintarō Hattorithe_sycoRuu_OldElmopclancylittlehedgehogKoldWebmonkeyweemcdMac daddyjimmycrackcormrainbow kirbymonkeyfudgePyr0Zombienosh 288 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

No
    Tonic water and Coca-Cola too. Both work wonders. Best to have them not too cold and best to let them go a little less fizzy too.

Feel better, OP!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No
    I've heard it many times in hospitals that flat 7-up is just as good for you any any other Lucazade type drink out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

No
    Yes, flat 7-Up and dry toast. I kind of miss it in a funny way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I can't do it anymore because it reminds me of being sick :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ Joe Thoughtless Freight

No
    Yeah but you're supposed to boil it first to flatten it. Otherwise the gas could make you hurl again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

No
    It has to be boiled to get rid of the fizz. Nothing better for an upset stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

No
    I thought it was just my mother made me do that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

defizzed 7up ... That's how you knew it was serious... Out came the 7up... and it's been stirred up to get rid of most of the fizz...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No
    DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Yes, flat 7-Up and dry toast. I kind of miss it in a funny way...
    Yeah, always what my mam gave me, easier on the stomach I suppose
    I was just wondering whether or not anyone else does this. I remember being sick when I was younger and my mam saying the first thing she'd get me around in the shop was a 2 litre bottle of 7-Up. Is this purely an Irish thing? Been feeling like crap the past few days and I've had a bottle of it next to the bed.
    Get back to studying, waster.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

No
    I was always told 7up was good for you when you were sick, thought it was just an Irish thing but then I saw it on South Park (though they mentioned Sprite, same thing!) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

No
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I was always told 7up was good for you when you were sick, thought it was just an Irish thing but then I saw it on South Park (though they mentioned Sprite, same thing!) :pac:

7-Up > Sprite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

My mammy used to always get me Lucozade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ Joe Thoughtless Freight

No
    Let me just fix that for ya :p
    7-Up < Sprite

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

It has to be boiled to get rid of the fizz. Nothing better for an upset stomach.

Yup nothing better than a drink full of sugar causing osmotic diarrhoea, to exacerbate an already existing stomach problem. I would use rehydration sachets, but of course mammy knows best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

No
    7-Up > Sprite

7-up = sprite

There ye go . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

No

*SLAP*

Sprite is nasty, syrupy crap and don't you forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

No
    7-up = sprite

There ye go . . .

Blasphemy. I know they're both lemon and lime drinks but they taste completely different. Sprite is mank, just like orange Lucozade. Can't beat the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Pauleta wrote: »
    My mammy used to always get me Lucozade

Ohhhhhh did she now?....show off:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

No
    Yep-warm 7 up. Stick it in the microwave for a few seconds. I actually drink it like that sometimes even when i'm not sick if i've 7 up that's gone flat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I thought my family were the only ones! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

No
    sesna wrote: »
    Yup nothing better than a drink full of sugar causing osmotic diarrhoea, to exacerbate an already existing stomach problem. I would use rehydration sachets, but of course mammy knows best.

funny that all the times ive been sick, boiled 7up has never done that to me afterwards, also funny that 3 different GPS have in the past recommended me to take it when sick. but of course sesna knows best

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

No
    salt in some coke or 7up when I was sick when younger. Tastes rancid but supposed to be good for you. I now normally just go about my daily business as best as I can unless it is something serious and I have to pop into the doctor.

No
    aDeener wrote: »
    funny that all the times ive been sick, boiled 7up has never done that to me afterwards, also funny that 3 different GPS have in the past recommended me to take it when sick. but of course sesna knows best

Perhaps it is the placebo effect?

and what does a gps have to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

No
    Blasphemy. I know they're both lemon and lime drinks but they taste completely different. Sprite is mank, just like orange Lucozade. Can't beat the original.

Nonsense, Orange lucozade is the last word in soft drinks imo.

Far too tasty to give to some sickly wretch layed out on their bed :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭gidget

No
    I still drink it when i'm sick. Even when i have a cold i would chose hot 7up over Lemsip - can't stand that stuff.

No
    gidget wrote: »
    I still drink it when i'm sick. Even when i have a cold i would chose hot 7up over Lemsip - can't stand that stuff.

You can feel hot 7up rotting your teeth as you drink it. (I can anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

mank, just like orange Lucozade.

Blasphemy - I hope you are brutally stoned the next time you leave your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lucozade Original (Hate it so much)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

my dog had pups a while back and a couple of them got sick, vet told me to give them 7up, one lived and one died so i dunno:confused:

Advertisement