Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

purchasing electric guitar

• 26-07-2006 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

im looking to buy my first electric guitar,i already have an acoustic and just want to know where is the best to buy one i have around 300 euros and would prefer new.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Very important question first, what style do you play?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

just learning ! strumming, starting experimenting with finger playing, a lot of blues scales ,but mostly cords and strumming,

jazoo wrote:
    just learning ! strumming, starting experimenting with finger playing, a lot of blues scales ,but mostly cords and strumming,

In fairness I think you will have to tell us a bit about what style you aim to be playing. Different guitars will sound very different, and if you get one to learn on now that doesn't suit your stlye, you'll just have to be buying another one further down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

For E300 quid dont waste your time worrying about "style". Just get the best value for money guitar available: Yamaha Pacifica 112

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_yamaha_pacifica_112x_yns_prodinfo.html

If you want heavy stuff, use heavy distortion and the humbucker.
    If you want to strum light stuff, use clean channel....and the humbucker :)

Ive a quality artist series strat, but I still gig with this (borrowed from a friend) a fair bit. Outstanding guitar. You are kidding yourself if you are a beginner trying to 'niche' yourself before you even have experience with an electric. Just get quality (i.e. the Yamaha Pacifica).

Also its light to hold, and soft and easy to strum from the factory...(in my experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

You can't go far wrong with the Pacifica.
    I would have thought most guitarists would have recommended the guitar that they learned their first chords on.:)

Mine was a Vintage (the brand not the age) Tele copy ;)

• Advertisement

A Yamaha Pacifica would indeed be a great all-rounder. I would worry about style though, because there's quite a lot of styles where a 2 humbucker guitar would be preferable, and the same can be said of a 3 single coiled guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Pacifica gets a lot of recommendations for beginners. Personally I'd also look at an Ibanez for a good value beginners guitar. I would suggest a guitar that does NOT have a tremolo for a beginner although there is no hard and fast rule. IMHO the key thing to your future enjoyment of the guitar is the neck - does it feel good in your left hand? Also the appearence IS important - does it look cool to you?

Try plenty before you buy.

Advertisement