Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fat as Fooooooooookkk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Callanutd wrote: »
    Reading between the lines, the issue could be the tarring all cereals with the one brush. Obviously Rice Krispies and the like (Frosties etc.) are not the best. But Shredded Wheat, whole grain cheerios etc. are ok. Ive dropped 27lbs since the end of January and I eat either Porridge or Cheerios every day for breakfast with some fruit. I try to minimise carbs to a degree but still allow myself pasta and potatoes in moderation. All I have done really is consume less calories than I burn. OP has a gym membership which is great and will help. I just bought two Kettle bells and got my hands on a DVD that I follow 3 times a week and a combination of 7 a side soccer and running has seen the weight fall off steadily.

Fair play on the weight loss :)

I use myfitnesspal a lot, and the most surprising thing about all foods (and food labelling for that matter) is the fact that the calories per portion is usually set up in such a way to confuse you. I'm guessing that 30g of rice krispies is approx 130kcal.

30g in a bowl looks feckin tiny when you see it actually measured out! I used to eat bowls of cereal that were filled to the brim, so much that it'd be a slow shuffle to the couch to avoid spilling anything.

check the labels, weigh your food, stay under your daily calorie limit. Its not rocket science, but a little concentration goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭oranje

To be honest the anti-cereals thing is way off the mark. I went through a phase a few years ago of being 82/83kg and I lost 10kg in 8 weeks through following a diet of porridge for breakfast, muesli or fruit and fibre etc. for lunch and just a normal dinner combined with training.
    Now I am 72kg and I maintain my weight by eating cereal twice a day and maybe having a different lunch and always a normal dinner. The rubbish like biscuits or chocolate or beer is what kills you, not cereal per se.
    Rice Krispies are a bad choice because they don't fill you up enough for the calories you are consuming, Dorset Really Nutty Muesli (for example) would be a much better choice for that purpose.
    One of the key things to make a diet a lifestyle choice is that you have enjoy eating still. People who love cereal don't need to go without, it's not ice cream or chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Squat Rack Curler

So cereal is up there with the good options for the OP?

Right so, Mr Kellogg.

Yep

I can tell by your posts that you are a very mature person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

oranje wrote: »
    To be honest the anti-cereals thing is way off the mark. I went through a phase a few years ago of being 82/83kg and I lost 10kg in 8 weeks through following a diet of porridge for breakfast, muesli or fruit and fibre etc. for lunch and just a normal dinner combined with training.
    Now I am 72kg and I maintain my weight by eating cereal twice a day and maybe having a different lunch and always a normal dinner. The rubbish like biscuits or chocolate or beer is what kills you, not cereal per se.
    Rice Krispies are a bad choice because they don't fill you up enough for the calories you are consuming, Dorset Really Nutty Muesli (for example) would be a much better choice for that purpose.
    One of the key things to make a diet a lifestyle choice is that you have enjoy eating still. People who love cereal don't need to go without, it's not ice cream or chips.

It's the calories that kill you. No one food makes you fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

oranje wrote: »

Food is food is food is food. Its like asking whats heavier - a ton of coal or a ton of feathers.

you can eat ice cream every day if you want to and still lose weight (you just wont be eating much else :D), just keep the calories intake at a level that allows you to lose the pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yep

I can tell by your posts that you are a very mature person.

What? No 'lol' this time?

You don't think the OP might be better served getting a bit more protein in their breakfast, no? Rather than just having cereal and getting the other 199.8g of protein over the rest of the day.

What? No 'lol' this time?

You don't think the OP might be better served getting a bit more protein in their breakfast, no? Rather than just having cereal and getting the other 199.8g of protein over the rest of the day.

That's up to the OP isn't it? Regardless, there is not 0.2g of protein in a bowl of cereal.

Again, there is no need to be immature or get offended because I challenged a statement that you made that you could not back up.

That's up to the OP isn't it? Regardless, there is not 0.2g of protein in a bowl of cereal.

Again, there is no need to be immature or get offended because I challenged a statement that you made that you could not back up.

You haven't backed up anything to contradict anything I've said but it doesn't matter anyway. You wouldn't agree on matter what.

East is east, west is west etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Minivan

Lads, come on, fight to get me fit! Not over Cereal!

NO!

I won't stop 'til his neck has gone snap, crackle and pop!

-->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Minivan wrote: »
    Lads, come on, fight to get me fit! Not over Cereal!

My tip is this:

Walk, don't run. (Figuratively but also kinda literally).

I did it at 1lb per week. Doing it slowly allowed me to make it a long term and therefore sustainable task.

The only exercise i did was walking. I walked A LOT! Created a calorie deficit and stuck to it. Had many cheat days. I went from approx 17 stone to 13.5 and I'm still going :) Looking to got 13 for my holiday in July. Then go further if I feel like it.

You haven't backed up anything to contradict anything I've said but it doesn't matter anyway. You wouldn't agree on matter what.

East is east, west is west etc.

I'm still waiting on your reasoning behind why cereals are "crappy". Perhaps then I could prove your claims wrong.

All carbs break down to blood glucose, so tell me how one carb source can be "crappier" than another in regards to body composition.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MrStuffins wrote: »
    My tip is this:

Walk, don't run. (Figuratively but also kinda literally).

Yep, aim over a month to change one meal a week to a better one.
    Start with that which is easiest, e.g. breakfast if that works for you.

Lunch worked for me ( I wasn't looking to lost weight, I was looking to eat healthier and gain weight) as I don't eat breakfast.

Get into the routine over seven days with the new meal, then look to change something else.

For you, it might even be starting by replacing the tea and biscuits with water and nuts/dried fruit.

Careful on the nuts though they are high in fat if you eat too many.

Does that approach make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The OP weighs 220 pounds and a caloric defecit requires increase in protein:
    He wants to lose weight, as i said before protein needs rise as caloric intake drops.
    What is your basis for this statement?

If his protein intake is low it needs to increase.
    To create a deficit he needs to drop cals. This is independent from protein. The two aren't related.

Not directing this bit at the OP. I'd imagine that there are a lot of overweight people who get “enough protein” purely on the basis on the amount they eat plus lower muscle mass (relative to total mass).

I'm still waiting on your reasoning behind why cereals are "crappy". Perhaps then I could prove your claims wrong.

All carbs break down to blood glucose, so tell me how one carb source can be "crappier" than another in regards to body composition.

I never mentioned carbs because it has nothing to do with carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,121 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I was orca fat 18 months ago. I am now merely fat, but also fairly strong and healthy. In my experience:

- cut out the silly excesses of your diet;
    - drink lots of water;
    - sleep lots;
    - train often and train with intensity;
    - keep going and dig in;

Focus on performance numbers and how you look in the mirror and feel. Ignore the scales, don't beat yourself up over a heavy weekend just get back on the wagon when its over.

It isn't about fixing the problem in six months. It's the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

At the very least a protein heavier breakfast will keep him satiated for longer than cereal, and may prevent him picking up a biscuit or 2 with his 10 cups of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

My only advise is to ease into it.

I'm currently piling on the calories (by choice) and along with muscle gain is a good bit of fat.

I reckon my body fat % is around 20-25%.

When 'cutting' time comes i usually ease myself in by doing 2 weeks of jogging (1 or 2 sessions a week on the treadmill) then follow up with 3-4 weeks of HiiT (High Intensity Interval Training).

HiiT really makes you sweat and it incinerates the fat. What i do consists of slow jogging for 40 seconds followed by sprinting for 30 and so on for 30 minutes (or until my legs fail whichever comes first :P). Can easily be transitioned to cycling/cross-trainer/rower.

This combine with cutting out most carbs works for me. (weekends are cheat days, and by that i mean a few drinks or some cake are allowed, not 42 biscuits, 12 cokes and 2 carrot cakes xD)

Taylor365 wrote: »
    HiiT really makes you sweat and it incinerates the fat. What i do consists of slow jogging for 40 seconds followed by sprinting for 30 and so on for 30 minutes (or until my legs fail whichever comes first :P). Can easily be transitioned to cycling/cross-trainer/rower.

I'm sure what you're doing is great and works for you but people cannot do HIIT for 30 minutes. It's a 5 or 6 minute workout max before you can't go on.

Mellor wrote: »
    What is your basis for this statement?

If his protein intake is low it needs to increase.
    To create a deficit he needs to drop cals. This is independent from protein. The two aren't related.

Not directing this bit at the OP. I'd imagine that there are a lot of overweight people who get “enough protein” purely on the basis on the amount they eat plus lower muscle mass (relative to total mass).
    http ://www .jissn.com/content/3/1/7 (remove space)
    That study was conducted on untrained individuals. As you may know, protein needs are higher for people who lift, as I suggested he do in my post.
    I never mentioned carbs because it has nothing to do with carbs.
    I literally have no idea what your point is then.

Out of curiousity, what is your idea of a good breakfast? and how is it better than cereal?

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I'm sure what you're doing is great and works for you but people cannot do HIIT for 30 minutes. It's a 5 or 6 minute workout max before you can't go on.
    True, depends on the level of fitness you're at.

Whether your aiming for ridiculous bf %

or

Burning fat in general

I can't imagine when i get back to it i'll be going over 5 minutes until the legs fail :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,121 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Adding sugar to the Rice Krispies or the type of milk isn't the problem with your breakfast. The problem is the rice krispies. Cereals, by and large, are rubbish.
    In what way are cereals "rubbish"?
    Nutritionally crappy especially for your average Joe who's carb intake is already massively out of proportion with a healthy diet.
    How is it nutritionally crappy?
    Apart from having a lot of sugar, salt and saturated fat, nothing.

But there are far better options.
    Nutritionally crappy because there's much better options even when factoring in the convenience of it.
    Rice Krispies are sh1te compared to eggs and bacon.
    Implying sugar, salt and saturated fat are inherently bad, lol
    Like what? And give proof of how these other options are "better".
    So why mention them? I'm still waiting to hear about how cereal is "rubbish"
    Maybe it implied it if you disregard the "a lot".
    200 grams of protein is high. It would be closer to 180 if he wanted to maintain his weight, which he does not.

Rice krispies are a fairly sh1te breakfast. If you'd like to go against established forum opinions then please provide proof.

FWIW, I think the 'established forum opinion' comes out worse from this exchange. If our actual position is that eggs and bacon is a superior breakfast then great, lets say that.

I don't think there's a need to specify what breakfast the OP should choose. The purpose was to suggest looking for a better alternative to Rice Krispies.

Rice Krispies won't make or break anything but from the point of view of the OP making better nutrition choices, I think it's a good starting point.

Rice Krispies Eggs and B
    Protein 2.4 25
    Carbs 30 60
    Fibre 0 5
    Fat 0 40
    Calories 130 500

Feel like crap and be hungry vs filling, protein, fibre and good fats breakfast.

I notice calorie counters i looked at didn't have the energy from food. (aka kilojoules)

I notice calorie counters i looked at didn't have the energy from food. (aka kilojoules)

You can convert calroies to kilojoules... Different units for the same thing.

130 calories= 544kJ
    500 calories= 2092 kJ

You can convert calroies to kilojoules... Different units for the same thing.

130 calories= 544kJ
    500 calories= 2092 kJ
    Does 100 calories of chocolate produce the same kJ as 100 calories of eggs?

Yes.

1 calorie=4.184 Joules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It does if you burn it in a lab.

How your body converts different foods to useful energy is a bit more complicated

ford2600 wrote: »
    It does if you burn it in a lab.

How your body converts different foods to useful energy is a bit more complicated

Your body is not a magical system. Yes it's a bit more complicated in that it's not an exact formula that fits perfectly but no one ever said it was. You use a formula as a rough guideline and then fine tune as you go along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Rice Krispies Eggs and B
    Protein 2.4 25
    Carbs 30 60
    Fibre 0 5
    Fat 0 40
    Calories 130 500

Feel like crap and be hungry vs filling, protein, fibre and good fats breakfast.

No mention of how the eggs and bacon are cooked. Boiled, Fried, poached? Is the Bacon grilled or does it come swimming in fat straight from the frying pan?

Advertisement