Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Popel

wow, its seems all the Niamhs move abroad. I´m also Niamh, and I live in Germany and have everything from Ni-am-huh, to Ni-am with Nee, Eve and a lot of "heh???"s thrown in between. Its also considered to sound more of a boys name here for some reason.

So, when me and my boyfriend are considering names, the emphasis is on what is normal-ish and absolutely readable(correctly) in both Germany and Ireland. But in reality, there are still tons and tons of names available, and some of them are even very nice.

So here´s hoping we can pick a nice one when the time comes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Or Bridgie...

We've settled on Addison or Paige for a girl (I love Addison, boyfriend loves Paige) and Alexander for a boy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

stovelid wrote: »
    Warning: Bridget eventually become Bridie. :p

There's all kinds of horrid possibilities, like biddy :eek:!

I will accept Bree for short and nothing else. :cool:

Oh not Bridget, sorry but no, I'm just not feeling it at all.....

Stick with Neasa! Or what about Eryn? not spelt irish I know.... Or Sinead, or Sorcha?
    I have a Saoirse

God, I should soooo not be in this forum, my husband would have heart failure :eek:

Neasa has been nixed! He has a cousin Erin ( which is sooo american and so is she and they don't have an Irish connection) and an ex sinead ( I like sinead but no!) Sorcha and saoirse have been considered. and discarded. Think a little longer on Bridget ( think Bridget Jones not Saint Biddy) I'm telling you it grows on you. :)

• Advertisement

Grawns wrote: »
    Think a little longer on Bridget ( think Bridget Jones not Saint Biddy) I'm telling you it grows on you. :)

I dont think it would grow on me at all, maybe if I saw a really cute itsy bitsy baby named bridget i'd like it - but thats just me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I work with an Irish girl called Bridget but it's spelled Bridgette which i think is quite pretty. It gets shortened to Bridge mostly.

I quite like when it's shortened to Bree as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I agree when i think of Bridgid i just think of old biddys.I think rather than call her Bridget and shorten it why dont you just call her Bree,which is quite pretty.

Whatever goes on her birth cert I'll probably end up calling her kitten junior :D

As for Bree vs. Bridget, I prefer to give her the option of both. For instance only my friends call em gra, my family call me grawns and the rest of the world call me gráinne ( grain, grainey) :D

Hmm, I don't think I contributed much names to this thread so I thought I'd put some really unusual ones out there for you all!. My OH is a South African Indian so all his family have Indian type names. In their culture everyone gets different names and it's meant to mean something about when you were born (my OH's name means the rising sun because when he was born it was dawn). It's much rarer to meet people with the same name.

He wants to name our (distant) future daughter after his mum, who died when he was young. Her name was Narina with I think is actually quite nice (luckily)

He has two girls cousins who are sisters called Urvashni and Vanashni and another set of cousins who are brother and sister called Salesh and Salisha.

Now, there's some stange names for you to mull over!

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't think I contributed much names to this thread so I thought I'd put some really unusual ones out there for you all!. My OH is a South African Indian so all his family have Indian type names. In their culture everyone gets different names and it's meant to mean something about when you were born (my OH's name means the rising sun because when he was born it was dawn). It's much rarer to meet people with the same name.

He wants to name our (distant) future daughter after his mum, who died when he was young. Her name was Narina with I think is actually quite nice (luckily)

He has two girls cousins who are sisters called Urvashni and Vanashni and another set of cousins who are brother and sister called Salesh and Salisha.

Now, there's some stange names for you to mull over!

They are all fabulously phonetic so work very well. If it was Irish narina would be spelt nárinne! I have a south african indian female friend called vashni. I think it's very pretty.

They are all fabulously phonetic so work very well. If it was Irish narina would be spelt nárinne! I have a south african indian female friend called vashni. I think it's very pretty.

Yeah, some of the names of his friends are great except I can never tell when they're male or female! I think he has a male friend called Vashni - maybe they're interchangeable!

watna wrote: »
    Yeah, some of the names of his friends are great except I can never tell when they're male or female! I think he has a male friend called Vashni - maybe they're interchangeable!

I guess they must be. I travelled around India a few years ago. Fantastic experience but not something I will be doing with a baby in tow. Maybe someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eyeofthetiger

I like Bridget but then I might be biased, it is a name on my little one's birth cert spelled as Brigid because of where I am from. It can also be shortened to Brìd (coworker) and Bride (mother). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

My middle name is Bridget, which was always changed to bridie, biddy and frigid bridget throughout the years - children/teenagers can be cruel :rolleyes:

Quackles wrote: »
    My middle name is Bridget, which was always changed to bridie, biddy and frigid bridget throughout the years - children/teenagers can be cruel :rolleyes:

Gráinne sounds like gránna, the Irish for ugly :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My sisters name is Kareen, she was named after a little Indian girl who lived next door to my mam and dad in London. It is also the name of the maid in gone with the wind.. So we tell my sister she is named after her...

I am still no further along with the battle of the names.

I am not a huge fan of Irish names.:o Although I do like Ian for a boy.

I really like Charlie for a girl now... And I like Sam and Freddy for boys.

Will have to pull the finger out and start making some decisions soon!!!

The baby will have my dads name as second name... Brendan for a boy or Brenda for a girl (God love her:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

No matter what name ye pick it won't matter, when you see your baby you will know!!! I know it sounds very cliche but its the truth. Some names won't suit your baby, only when you meet him/her will you know or def. But take a shortlist anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

like the name sarah for a girl. Hebrew for princess i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Ok I'm not up the duff yet but here are my names

Andrew
    Jeremiah (my late dads name and my brother stole it so I have a lttle nephew called Jerry which is cute)

Love Aoibhe (Ava) but too many of them around.
    Like Miah (MYA) But reminds me of the looney in Corrie
    Like Jenna but my surname is to be McKenna.
    Also like Beth and Juilette but my OH is not liking these.

My friend had a little girl and called her Leyla and her sister called her baby Kacie.
    I like Faye too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mumof2maybe3

I love the name Faye for girl .... always have. It was weird seeing it on someone elses list cause people normally look at me as if im mad:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

sara-lou wrote: »
    No matter what name ye pick it won't matter, when you see your baby you will know!!! I know it sounds very cliche but its the truth. Some names won't suit your baby, only when you meet him/her will you know or def. But take a shortlist anyway

I don't fully agree with that.

I have 2 sons and both their names were decided long in advance of their births and both names suit them totally and I could not imagine them as anything else.

I am due again in April, and as soon as we find out the sex of this baby we will be deciding on a name and sticking with it.

It is not as if every single Kate or Jack looks the same.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

MrsA wrote: »
    I don't fully agree with that.

I have 2 sons and both their names were decided long in advance of their births and both names suit them totally and I could not imagine them as anything else.

I am due again in April, and as soon as we find out the sex of this baby we will be deciding on a name and sticking with it.

It is not as if every single Kate or Jack looks the same.

M

I'd agree with you there - I think the child will grow to suit the name you give them, babies just look like babies!!

othr name i like is holly

my brothers wife is having a boy theyre calling him Liam

I love the name Faye for girl .... always have. It was weird seeing it on someone elses list cause people normally look at me as if im mad:D

I think its really pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Baby to be born soon so

Boy:
    Jack
    James
    Kyle
    Aaron

Girl:
    Ava
    Grace
    Jordan

I thought it may be of interest to note the top 10 most popular girls and boys names according to the central statistics office

Sean 1
    Jack 2
    Conor 3
    Adam 4
    James 5
    Daniel 6
    Luke 7
    Cian 8
    Michael 9
    Jamie 10

Sarah 1
    Emma 2
    Katie 3
    Aoife 4
    Sophie 5
    Ava 6
    Grace 7
    Ella 8
    Leah 9
    Ciara 10

I was dead set on Aoife until I saw how popular it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I thought it may be of interest to note the top 10 most popular girls and boys names according to the central statistics office

I was dead set on Aoife until I saw how popular it is now.

When I have kids I'll try to avoid names on the list. In my year in school, there were 3 other girls with my name and there was 10 Sarah's out of 100 girls!

Nice to have some individuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Reuben for a boy.
    Eloise for a girl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

beth-lou wrote: »
    Reuben for a boy.
    Eloise for a girl.

Reuben was almost our sons name, but, it is his middle name now.

My friend had a little girl a few months ago and called her Eloise.

I think you have great taste!!

M

Advertisement