Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

May 2016 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

wuffly wrote: »
    Its the cameleon, seems simple enough to put up and down and click in all the bits. Plenty of room underneath it, the material has draw string so its practically a duffel bag. Didn't come with the isofix base they have the family fix which works for the next size up so they are still using it. At the moment, neither of our cars have isofix anyway, its not standard here and wasn't something we thought of when buying. I have found an easyfix base online which can be fitted with the seatbelt and works in a similar way, in that its easy to pop the car seat in and out. Got an extra cover for the car seat, a brolly (more for the sun here) and a travel bag and few other bits. Will probably only use the travel bag for the first trip home, but handy to have, apparently great for stuffing with other bits!

Sounds like a plan on the name! I think I could get away with calling the baby Bob at the moment! With the sickness OH has been very worried, I'd been trying not let on too much but he always manages to hear the worst of it. Was very sick again last night and this morning, don't know what the sprog is at!

Maybe you could get those drugs off your doc then? It's so awful being sick for this long

Stuffing extra bits in the travel bag for the buggy sounds like a great plan! I also have a family fix, didn't know it worked for the next size up! :cool:

Kathy22 wrote: »
    I am finally over my kidney infection. God it was horrible and something I do not want to have again! I am slowly trying to sleep on my side, I bought a pregnancy pillow in argos and i find if i sleep on my left and hug my leg around it I stay on my side, otherwise I end up on my back again. I find no matter how little I drink before bed I always wake up around 5am to go to the bathroom, ALWAYS! I am also hugely bunged up and wake up gagging for air.

Glad your kidney infection is gone, they are such awful things at the best of times not to mind when pregnant. Think it's common enough to get them during pregnacy though I rem my sister was plagued with them!

Snap on the waking to wee in the middle of the night regardless of liquids consumed. On my 1st pregnancy I tried controlling liquids like no fluids after 6pm, made no difference (how can it make no difference!!) so this time around I know not to even bother trying that one!

I have the blocked nose as well and subsequent waking up with a bone dry throat and needing to blow my nose. Hate to tell ya but for me that lasted the whole way through last time.........:eek:
    Never had nose bleeds though

Yep I am gonna have 2 little ladies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

The funny thing about peeing in the middle of the night is that I still really need to go when I wake up then in the morning. Its so odd!

Question for you guys: I was at a family thing today and my sister in law was going on about organic food only and she would never eat anything non-traceable as it could harm the baby! She mentioned a few other things she would avoid like cleaning products, makeup etc. I eat quite healthy mainly eating fish and veg. Do you guys focus on organic only, does it concern you? I reckon it would be so difficult to shop for organic only foods as it rules out a lot of the main supermarkets!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Glad you are feeling better Kathy, kidney infections are truly awful and when you can't use a hot water bottle for comfort its even worse! I had an terrible kidney infection when I was about 6 weeks and stupidly didn't go to the Dr straight away thought i would flush it out with water and cranberry juice, i should know better, i was shivering mess by the time i went and ended up on augmentin tablets the size of horse tranquilizers :(

I know a few people that are all organic when they are pregnant and with the kids food. Its not something that bothers me, I am trying to avoid processed stuff but once its fresh fruit & veg its fine with me. Personally I think organic can be a bit of a scam, especially where I'm living there is no certification whatsoever people can just whack a label on it and multiply the price. I thought the majority of fresh Irish food was traceable where its organic or not? I'm from a farm at home so we don't buy that much veg or meat so i could be totally wrong on that.
    Haven't even thought about make up, i was using Human +kind chemical free face wash & moisturizer brand, but it didn't suit my skin (not much does these days! lol) As for cleaning products I just read the label, use gloves and have windows open or the AC on (when i do clean:eek:) household products should be relatively safe when used correctly.

Thanks Wuffly, yes its better to get these things looked at and cleared up. Sorry to hear you had it too. How is your skin doing? Hopefully better.

I agree on the organic. I think it just got my back up to be honest. As if I wasn't thinking of my future child and doing enough to look after them. I've asked a few others in my circle of friends and I think what I am doing is OK. I focus on healthy foods and non-processed cooking. I'm a tad touchy of late so it rubbed me up the wrong way.

I went maternity clothes shopping at the weekend. Absolute crap selection in the shops. I am looking for some nice dresses for work but there was a lot of casual stuff and stretchy fabrics. I have picked out a few nice bits on ASOS I will pick up in the sales. Finally gave in and got fitted for a bra in M&S, I have gone up 2 sizes and one size in the back, she gave me an extra size up and said I will grow into it in the coming weeks. Ugh not a favorite body change I must say. I can't wait to get to the proper bump stage, I have a mini bump that resembles a food baby and makes my current clothes tight but maternity wear too big. OK ranting over. Hopefully my new dresses from ASOS fit well!!!!

Hope everyone else is keeping well.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean about been rubbed up the wrong way, I don't get it especially from women that have been through it surely they know its different for everyone. A few people have commented on me losing weight and not having a bump like I am trying to lose weight, and basically I am not 'doing it right' as if being sick and tired wasn't hard enough. I'm sure I'll be piling on the pounds in no time! I'm back to just retching at the moment and seem to be able to eat a bit more. Sounds like you are being perfectly sensible to me and your SIL is being a bit extreme, which is grand but no need for her to expect everyone to do the same. I would just 'nod, smile and agree' with her and do your own thing.

My skin is worse its gotten quiet sore and itchy and started going down my neck. Dr has given me a prescription for a light antibiotic cream I was hoping to not have to use it, as i thought it was easing but I think I will have to give in.

Enjoy your ASOS stuff! :D

Has anyone has a sty in their eye? I have one starting out and not sure what to do with, feel like I am running to Dr for every little thing! Any safe home remedies?

Its amazing the things people say. I guess if you are not in the situation it is difficult to judge but I think it is best just not to comment on a pregnant woman's shape and size or decisions. Its funny a few people have told me I'm neat and have a tiny bump but they don't realize that this makes me feel like my bump isnt growing at the rate it is supposed to and think that maybe there is something wrong. This may be just me and my irrational thoughts :rolleyes:

Wuffly I have had a few styes in my day due to an eye condition and the last one I had I was told to put a hot compress on it for 10-15 minutes each night. I used a flannel cloth, boiled water and let it cool a little (don't use boiling) and just place it on your eye and lie back. I did this when it was early stage and it cleared it up within 2 days. The warmth of the compress should help draw out anything that is in the stye. Hope it gets better, they are pretty annoying! :(

. Its funny a few people have told me I'm neat and have a tiny bump

Eh you are due in May right, so you're what 17 weeks or so? What else would your bump be at this stage only neat! Honestly some people.....what do they expect you to be massive at this stage? Mine is easily disguised and only started proper sticking out in the last fortnight really.

Wuffy you poor thing you sound like you're having a tough time of it so far, kidney infections in 1st trim, morning sickness continuing into the 2nd, skin condition and styes....my heart really goes out to you! At least you have a doctor who's not afraid to dole out the drugs. If you were in Ireland you'd probably find that a stumbling block.

I only needed to use the anti-nausea drug I was prescribed 2 or 3 nights but I still am going to go back to the chemist and get the full prescription and keep it in case I ever have a 3rd child when I move back to Ireland coz I know I will get morning sickness and I know an irish doctor will give me nawthin for it so it would be great to have a stash of drugs I can take from another country! (although they might be out of date by then but they should still work) would you believe this fact would make me more likely to go for a 3rd child! Ha, it's just the thoughts of going through that nausea again would put me off so knowing i have drugs for it would seriously alleviate that fear.

Kathy - your SIL sounds not holier-than-thou but ''healthier-than-thou'' how annoying....there's always going to be someone like that, ignore! I'm eating my usual mixture of normal food and unhealthy crap! Yeah you shouldn't be exposing yourself to strong chemicals without adequate ventilation alright or try not to let them soak through your skin on your hands etc.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I agree on the organic. I think it just got my back up to be honest. As if I wasn't thinking of my future child and doing enough to look after them. I've asked a few others in my circle of friends and I think what I am doing is OK. I focus on healthy foods and non-processed cooking. I'm a tad touchy of late so it rubbed me up the wrong way.

I really wouldn't be bothered with focusing on organic food - it's a "nice to have" but you can eat perfectly well without it. Good quality meat (or alternatives) and vegetables and you will be absolutely fine.
    I went maternity clothes shopping at the weekend. Absolute crap selection in the shops. I am looking for some nice dresses for work but there was a lot of casual stuff and stretchy fabrics. I have picked out a few nice bits on ASOS I will pick up in the sales. Finally gave in and got fitted for a bra in M&S, I have gone up 2 sizes and one size in the back, she gave me an extra size up and said I will grow into it in the coming weeks. Ugh not a favorite body change I must say. I can't wait to get to the proper bump stage, I have a mini bump that resembles a food baby and makes my current clothes tight but maternity wear too big. OK ranting over. Hopefully my new dresses from ASOS fit well!!!!

That's a rant I can share too. In-store selections are completely useless, seems like most retailers have gone to having the majority of maternity wear online, it's only really been H&M and large branches of Mothercare that have a good range in-store.

M&S's maternity range feels like it's designed for women who are too old to need it, my mum would consider a lot of it old-looking and she's in her 50s! Wouldn't necessarily trust their bra fitters either in general, and I wouldn't be a huge fan of fitting you with room to "grow into" either because that means you're not getting the support now.

I've found Gap maternity jeans (online only) absolutely great, another pair of full panel skinnys arrived today after getting them on a Black Friday promotion. Next best thing to yoga pants comfort-wise tbh and I work in IT so they're my daily workwear :pac:

• Advertisement

God I do sound miserable don't I?! I am a bit of a disaster zone, I twisted my ankle last Thursday. I was like an anti-christ, thankfully it wasn't as bad as I first thought. I sat on the step I fell off and cried in pure misery! I am extremely lucky that OH has been great around the house, doing most of the cooking and generally minding me!

Thanks for the advice on the sty Kathy I put a hot compress on it last night and will do again today, hope to nip it in the bud, its not painful thankfully. At this rate I'll look like a preggers quasimodo, limp, gammy eye and pizza face! :o

Long weekend here, this weekend! I cannot wait!:D

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

Lucuma wrote:
    Eh you are due in May right, so you're what 17 weeks or so? What else would your bump be at this stage only neat! Honestly some people.....what do they expect you to be massive at this stage? Mine is easily disguised and only started proper sticking out in the last fortnight really.

lol... Am on number 2 in two years and I suspect that I was about this big at around 6/7 months last time around!!

I found the bras in Marks terrible. my big tip are the Bravado bras...They're stretchy so fit all the way though pregnancy and feeding. I got mine on nursingbras.com/.Co.UK and found them amazing. (also have stash of marks and Debenhams ones that I never wear)

Glad to see others agree on the organic food. She is a a good few years younger than me with no kids so a tad naive. I am really trying to eat healthy, I don't eat any meat except chicken and just buy that in Aldi/Lidl/Dunnes. Maybe I should switch to my local butcher for that. I miss my shellfish so much as that is what I ate a lot of pre-pregnancy. I have had some sneaky crayfish and cooked them well before eating.

Great advice on the bras, I definitely don't like the style in Marks, they felt like something my Granny would wear. I only bought the one so will look else where. Thanks for the advice on the Bravado bras otwb1. Will also check out the gap jeans online. The shop with the best in-store maternity wear was H&M, they had some nice jeans. I am waiting to buy them until I need them, its mainly my structured work dresses and skirts that are tight and uncomfortable around the zip.

Lucuma yes I am just coming up on 17 weeks. I think they were trying to be nice or something. I am very sensitive of late. I actually almost cried in work when I became frustrated the other day which is not like me. I didn't feel like this in the first trimester so no idea why I am like this now.

Hope your sty clears up wuffly, you have had a touch time of late.

Is anyone getting the flu jab? I see conflicting info online.

I miss my shellfish so much as that is what I ate a lot of pre-pregnancy. I have had some sneaky crayfish and cooked them well before eating.

You can eat shellfish. You just can't eat raw shellfish

www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/hospitals/.../Eating_well_in_pregnancy.pdf

I got the flu jab in the 1st trimester which was probably a bit dodge in hindsight. So sick of having head colds though. Got hardly no sleep last night again due to having to breath through my mouth and waking up with a mouth/lips/tongue like the Sahara desert all night.

otwb1 really? I'm also pregnant with my 2nd in 2 years and my bump isn't any bigger at 18 weeks than it was last time, definitely no comparison with what 7 months was last time !!!

Kathy I just think it's weird to use the word ''neat'' on someone so early in pregnancy. To me it's an expression that's used when you're well into the 3rd trimester and bump size is a daily topic of conversation

Lucuma wrote: »
    You can eat shellfish. You just can't eat raw shellfish

www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/hospitals/.../Eating_well_in_pregnancy.pdf

I got the flu jab in the 1st trimester which was probably a bit dodge in hindsight. So sick of having head colds though. Got hardly no sleep last night again due to having to breath through my mouth and waking up with a mouth/lips/tongue like the Sahara desert all night.

otwb1 really? I'm also pregnant with my 2nd in 2 years and my bump isn't any bigger at 18 weeks than it was last time, definitely no comparison with what 7 months was last time !!!

Kathy I just think it's weird to use the word ''neat'' on someone so early in pregnancy. To me it's an expression that's used when you're well into the 3rd trimester and bump size is a daily topic of conversation

I agree maybe they were trying to tell me I looked like I hadn't gained much weight, I dont know. 2 were from older people who have been pregnant and one was my cousin who has never been pregnant. I completely feel you on the head colds, stuffy nose pain. I am so tired and sick of not sleeping properly. I actually think I might have a sinus infection which I've had before a few times pre-pregnancy. I woke up at 4.30am last night and my nose was really bunged up, then when I tried to clear it started bleeding for 20 minutes. I then woke up again at my proper time with a pounding headache in my right temple, something which is going on the last week (which makes me think sinus infection). Hope you feel better Lucuma. I hate head colds. :(

My doc told me to avoid prawns which I love but looking at the NHS site there it seems to be OK. I am going to indulge in mussels this week with crusty bread. :D

Morning ladies, hope everyone is well.

Another random one from me, my boss's daughter was diagnosed with chicken pox yesterday, he went and got vaccinated this morning. I've never had chicken pox, just wondering if i should be avoiding him, of all my colleagues he is the one I am in contact with most. Guessing the risk is minimal unless he ends up getting it? Anyone experienced this?

Morning ladies, hope everyone is well.

Another random one from me, my boss's daughter was diagnosed with chicken pox yesterday, he went and got vaccinated this morning. I've never had chicken pox, just wondering if i should be avoiding him, of all my colleagues he is the one I am in contact with most. Guessing the risk is minimal unless he ends up getting it? Anyone experienced this?

Sorry I don't know. I had chicken pox as a kid so it was never a fear for me. Ring your doctor to ask?

She's not in this morning, her nurse said to avoid him. Just waiting on some paper work and I will head home and work there for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

wuffly wrote:

Hi, I had direct contact with a child in my class who had chicken pox when I was 9 weeks pregnant. Rang holles st and they asked me to come in that day for a blood test to check my immunity. Came back that I was immune. If I hadn't been I would have been given the vaccine. This needs to be given within 72 hours of exposure. Not trying to freak you out or offer medical advice as my contact was physical and with someone who was actively contagious, plus was early stages of pregnancy. Point is maybe call your maternity hospital for best advice in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

wuffly wrote:

+1 on calling your gp to see what they advise. I know I asked the hospital what they recommended when there was chicken pox in no1's creche. I was already immune so didn't need anything done.

• Advertisement

Eck... that's not good, I don't have a hospital yet, all my apt's have been at my obgyn clinic. She'll be in this afternoon and her nurse will check with her and get back to me. Clinics here are open late so if i need to for a blood test I can.

You never know you could be immune wuffly. My mother struggles to remember which of us had what as kids (there was 5 of us though) so it's not always that easy to figure out if I've had something or not. When I was pregnant on no.1 the GP tested my blood and told me I had immunity to rubella for example, I don't know how in the hell I do! Also recently there was a slapped cheek scare in my daughter's childminder and I was only 8 weeks pregnant at the time, I got my blood checked and turns out I'm immune to slapped cheek as well! But if I asked my mother if I had slapped cheek she would say No.

Wuffly I don't have an answer for you but I would thread with caution. Your boss did the right thing going and getting vaccinated. I hope you get to speak to your doctor soon and get a definitive answer. I found out I am not immune to Rubella from my bloods at my booking appointment but that is so rare so hopefully won't impact me. Anyway hopefully you now have the answer you need.

Thanks Ladies, I spoke to my Dr yesterday, she said there is nothing I can do besides avoid him as much as I can, its not direct contact so she's not too concerned and she's aware of my history. The risk to the baby is extremely low which is all i care about. Apparently you can't get the vaccine when you are pregnant and you shouldn't even get pregnant with in 30 days of having it. She said in the UK there is antibody injection you can get to protect the mother but it hasn't been proven to help the baby, they don't provide it here. I'm fine avoiding him but whoever he spoke to basically said there is no risk to me or the baby so he keeps coming to talk to me, not even important stuff just random chat, I've asked him to stop which he got snotty about, my appraisal and chat re mat leave is coming up next week so its perfect timing to piss him off! Git!

Thanks Ladies, I spoke to my Dr yesterday, she said there is nothing I can do besides avoid him as much as I can, its not direct contact so she's not too concerned and she's aware of my history. The risk to the baby is extremely low which is all i care about. Apparently you can't get the vaccine when you are pregnant and you shouldn't even get pregnant with in 30 days of having it. She said in the UK there is antibody injection you can get to protect the mother but it hasn't been proven to help the baby, they don't provide it here. I'm fine avoiding him but whoever he spoke to basically said there is no risk to me or the baby so he keeps coming to talk to me, not even important stuff just random chat, I've asked him to stop which he got snotty about, my appraisal and chat re mat leave is coming up next week so its perfect timing to piss him off! Git!

Oh great! Bad timing eh. You were dead right to say it to him though, most important thing is that bun you're carrying, nothing else!

Kathy how are your sinuses? I had a rough week last week of not sleeping and being sick and exhausted. Seemed to catch up a little on Fri and Sat night. Very, very broken sleep but seem to be catching Zzzs here and there, I remember dreams anyway which means I was technically asleep! Think I got about 5 hours last night, which is brilliant compared to 2-3 hours for all last week. If I got 5 every night I can easily survive!

Wuffly that's a bit of a crap situation TBH. It would be nice if he could respect your wishes and keep contact to a minimum. Hopefully your meeting goes OK next week. Fingers crossed you get the outcome you want. I am very lucky work wise, my manager has 3 kids so is super accommodating. I'm sure you'll be fine wuffly. Look after yourself.

Lucuma, my sinuses are a little better, I think I had a cold on top of my pregnancy sinus symptoms which was making sleep 10 times harder. This morning I woke up for the first time in a week without a headache but still quite bunged up. Eeeek you must be exhausted with the lack of sleep. Although not as tired as the first trimester I am still quite tired all the time. I fell asleep on the couch both Friday and Saturday night. My poor husband just ends up watching TV by himself...LOL!

In other news I had another bleed on Friday but everything is fine, think it might be just one of those things. It did mean I got another scan which was nice. Baby has grown so much and was moving around during the scan. It was amazing, still makes me smile. Its fascinating how much they grow in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Anybody here feeling much movement yet?
    I'm 17weeks now and haven't felt any yet :(

teggers5 wrote: »

No I haven't felt anything yet. Its my first baby and my doctor on Friday said it would be another 2 weeks before I felt anything and then it would only be flutters and tiny feelings of movements.

I was reading this at the weekend and it gives an idea of what to expect.

I get their weekly email and it does say it may be another month before you feel real kicks and movement. Here is the link for week 17.

teggers5 wrote: »

that's totally normal for no.1!
    I didn't feel movement til 20 weeks on no.1

Kathy waking every morning with a headache, ugh. Sorry to hear you had a bleed, but glad to hear it was a thing of nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Thanks for that link Kathy. Some interesting straightforward reading there.
    Its my second baby Lucuma although my other "baby" is 13 years old!! It's been so long it feels like my first pregnancy again! I'm just getting impatient waiting to feel the kicks!

Advertisement