Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

food before gym?

Options
  • 21-05-2014 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on what to eat before the gym.
    I go the gym every second day early in the morning. So I need something that will give me energy. I've tried boiled egg and scrambled egg for the protein but their too heavy and I end up feeling like getting sick while lifting. I've tried a salad sandwich but it's too light and makes me feel lightheaded probably because im not eating enough also feel low on energy.

Anyone any suggestions? Something that's not too heavy but will give me the energy I need
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Looking for advice on what to eat before the gym.
    I go the gym every second day early in the morning. So I need something that will give me energy. I've tried boiled egg and scrambled egg for the protein but their too heavy and I end up feeling like getting sick while lifting. I've tried a salad sandwich but it's too light and makes me feel lightheaded probably because im not eating enough also feel low on energy.

Anyone any suggestions? Something that's not too heavy but will give me the energy I need
    Thanks guys
    Your body has stored carbs and fat for energy first thing. Anything you eat will need a few hours to digest, it's not going to give you instant energy. Some people like to have caffeine pre-work out.

Personally I don't think I don't think eating something that early is needed. I train everyday at 5.45, I don't eat before hand and feel fine. I tried BCAAs, or a banana before and it did nothing. I think a lot of the "no energy" feeling is mental. But everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Mellor wrote: »
    Your body has stored carbs and fat for energy first thing. Anything you eat will need a few hours to digest, it's not going to give you instant energy. Some people like to have caffeine pre-work out.

Personally I don't think I don't think eating something that early is needed. I train everyday at 5.45, I don't eat before hand and feel fine. I tried BCAAs, or a banana before and it did nothing. I think a lot of the "no energy" feeling is mental. But everyone is different.

I second this. Only recently I've started using BCAAs as I'm not eating for several hours after lifting. Noticed no difference in how I feel when I'm at the gym with the BCAAs as opposed to without. And this is after about 10 hours since my last meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

it's defo all in the head. I have nearly made myself sick eating and then going training straight after. Get those extra few mins rest,jump out of bed and hit that gym is what i say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I should of clarified abit more,

Basicly when I eat before I go the gym its at least an hour and a half before I work out
    it takes the body rougly an hour to digest to a point of you not feeling full,

But what I mean is
    no matter what I have eaten so far, it always feels like I am going to throw it up during the workout
    and if I don't eat anything, I get very lightheaded and then I throw up
    I have eaten nothing before going the gym before and its a bad experience, for me at least, I don't think its mental at all if its physically making me sick, and I am not the type of guy who gets lightheaded at all haha
    I was also told never go the gym with an empty stomach

Would anyone have any recommendations at least to what to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Basicly when I eat before I go the gym its at least an hour and a half before I work out

But what I mean is
    no matter what I have eaten so far, it always feels like I am going to throw it up during the workout
    I have eaten nothing before going the gym before and its a bad experience, for me at least, I don't think its mental at all if its physically making me sick, and I am not the type of guy who gets lightheaded at all haha

Something light like scrambled egg maybe?

• Advertisement

I tend to have a small handful of nuts if I'm working out early. Works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

But what I mean is

When I train first thing, I've either had (a) nothing, (b) coffee or (c) banana.

I try push hard and the only thing I've noticed have an effect on me is giving myself the time to loosen up properly.

I've never really felt better or worse whether I've had banana/coffee or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Could you be dehydrated going into the gym and then the exercise fecks you? Anytime I have gymed first thing I have always taken a tiny bit of salt to offset the salt I have lost through the night and will lose through sweating while gyming, but I do drink an enormous amount of water during the night so I might need it more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lorrim

I train early in the morning -6am - had similar issues to you, what works for me now is having carbs in my last meal before bed & using BCAA's during my training - possibly the BCAA's a psychological - but I don't really care, its working for me, so I'm doing it ;)

Cheers guys, gonna try everything you's do over the next couple of gym sessions, see which one works for me, I can see having a carbs meal in my bellie before bed could possible help me alot, seen as I don't eat before bed

Cheers lads

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Could you be dehydrated going into the gym and then the exercise fecks you? Anytime I have gymed first thing I have always taken a tiny bit of salt to offset the salt I have lost through the night and will lose through sweating while gyming, but I do drink an enormous amount of water during the night so I might need it more than others.

possible could be
    I never drink any water apart from when I am working out
    I don't like water, I drink ALOT of milk, but water I try and stay away from it as much as possible unless I know I am gonna be sweating, Ill try drink alot more of it outside the gym, that could be the problem, cheers

Advertisement