Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyle Mcdonald

• 20-05-2014 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Looking for a 4 day workout to change to. Has anyone tried the lyle mconald one ?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

It's great. Effective. Simple. Do. It.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

It's great. Effective. Simple. Do. It.

cool. would it help an intermediate lifter like myself gain mass in next 8 - 10 weeks ?

I don't see why not if eat right and follow program. Don't omit the 'back cycle'!

ETA; it's guaranteed to add mass if done right with lots of surplus cals.

I don't see why not if eat right and follow program. Don't omit the 'back cycle'!

ETA; it's guaranteed to add mass if done right with lots of surplus cals.

thanks. the back cycle is when you start the new cycle, you go back to 80%, right ?

also in the description it says to begin the exercises at 80% of your max rep - so how does this work for say squats. should I just do one rep of a squat and see what my max is and then start the exercises at 80% of that ?>

Either test or use a 1RM calculator. How do you do it for your other lifts in fairness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

How do you know you're at an intermediate level if you don't know your 1RMs? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

mickman wrote: »
    thanks. the back cycle is when you start the new cycle, you go back to 80%, right ?

also in the description it says to begin the exercises at 80% of your max rep - so how does this work for say squats. should I just do one rep of a squat and see what my max is and then start the exercises at 80% of that ?>

It's not 80% of your 1RM, its 80% of your best work sets for the set and rep ranges he recommends.

The program call for 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps, so lets say you squat 100kgx8x4, then you would start the first week at 80kg, the second at 90kg, go to 100kg for the third week and then try to increase the weight as much as you can for 4-6 weeks.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    How do you know you're at an intermediate level if you don't know your 1RMs? :confused:

because i never do just one rep - my one rep max would be much higher than my set max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

because i never do just one rep - my one rep max would be much higher than my set max

You might be surprised at how close your 1 rep max is to the amount you can do for reps. Anyway, that's not important, let me get to the real point.

Usually "intermediate lifter" means you've gotten to a stage where you no-longer expect to make regular gains on your 1 rep max and have to change your training to reflect this. If you don't know your one rep max, how can you know if you're at the intermediate level?

You might be surprised at how close your 1 rep max is to the amount you can do for reps. Anyway, that's not important, let me get to the real point.

Usually "intermediate lifter" means you've gotten to a stage where you no-longer expect to make regular gains on your 1 rep max and have to change your training to reflect this. If you don't know your one rep max, how can you know if you're at the intermediate level?

well ok. i call myself intermediate becaues i have been lifting for two years on and off

• Advertisement

well ok. i call myself intermediate becaues i have been lifting for two years on and off

I'd seriously question you're lifting level here and take a step back. What's your regular numbers for reps? Lifting for a year or two on and off means nothing. I did that and was still a beginner till I got my sh!t together.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Unless he's made poor choices based on the notion of being an intermediate lifter, it doesn't really matter all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Let's make it simpler. Forget about labels.

If you've been lifting on and off for two years, then the program in the OP is probably a good choice at this stage.

Unless he's made poor choices based on the notion of being an intermediate lifter, it doesn't really matter all that much.

Agreed. Ignore my early morning rambles.

Good to know, thanks.

I classed myself as intermediate as I was thinking of it in the stages of beginner (people who walk into the gym and don't have a clue) , intermediate like myself who can do heavy sets of various compound exercises and advanced (don't really know what they do :-))

Size gains have been very good but im stuck - I have been doing a circuit Monday and Friday and then legs Tuesday , chest Wednesday and arms on Thursday but I have a hit a plateau. Gains have stopped and I feel a little bored so that's why I am looking for a new set that will help me get big gains in the cheat / arm area

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

new set that will help me get big gains in the cheat / arm area

Lots of rocking and hip-thrusting for your bicep curls ;)

Lots of rocking and hip-thrusting for your bicep curls ;)

indeed ;-)

Advertisement