Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The 2012 PW Draft *Discussion thread - voting info post 2048*

• 19-11-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭

2s1khgg.jpg

Hey everyone :)

The PW Draft is now in it's 5th year and is 1 of the staples of this forum. Seeing as how MNG is unfortunately not running the draft for this year, I just want to let ye know that myself and BH are gonna be running it :) Nothing is changing with it so it's still 20 people, 15 rounds and 15 picks (with the various stipulations thrown in). So with that, the countdown to the PW draft can now officially begin:)

I'll be starting up the picks thread in the New Year so, until then, get thinking;):D

SIgn up thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76190598#post76190598

Commentators: Eligable to all outside angles or just to those who drafted them? 9 votes

Eligable to all (once not used in angles if drafted by others)
    0% 0 votes
    Only available to those who spent a pick drafting them
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Are we throwing our names in the hat yet?

Hope rovert gets involved this year, he would take some beating methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

flahavaj wrote: »
    Are we throwing our names in the hat yet?

Hope rovert gets involved this year, he would take some beating methinks...

Nope, that thread opens in the late December :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I really want to get Punk, Ace Steel and The Usos again this year so I can keep going with that stable :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Cant wait for this . However im gonna back up my write ups so i dont lose it like last year :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Time to get my thinking cap on, need to up my game to have a shot at winning this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Yep last year marked the end of MNG in charge and I said i'd take over once nobody minded me also competing as I have in every draft, then Gimmick also bowed out so D2D joined up, which is especially helpful given my time difference. Despite stepping down Obviously we hope that if they have the time Gimmick or MNG compete, would almost be odd for my BWA promotion to have no Monday Night Grappling to go up against at this stage.

No need to submit if your in or not at this stage but this thread will be used to say when that will happen so that the regulars should know in advance and get a good chacne of having a spot in the draft.

As D2D suggested this will probably become the discussion thread when everything gets going as ill change the name & also sticky the other thread when it gets started.

I Already have some ideas in mind for stipulation rounds and will talk to D2D about that before we begin but I guess for now this can also be a general shop for discussion on rules and eligable picks etc i.e were there any gray areas last year we need to iron out before we start this time? only big disagreement i remember atm was the eligablity of Heenan & Bockwinkel as a team for example.

Think this year ill give you a different BWA, last few years ive had similar rosters and although I was always in the top 5 dont think I was ever that close to winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

I'v never done this before, how does it work if you don't mind me asking.

here are some of the previous incarnations of the draft
    and Draft threads:

Simply its a typical sports fantasy draft where you get to pick a wrestler or tag team (must fall within certain ground rules like no world champions in the tag team) every round and build a roster. Then at the end produce a PPV card to showcase your roster before we vote on a winner.

To further elaborate here are the rules from last year although in some rounds we have special stipulations about who can and cant be picked which may void the rules i.e a round where debut date of wrestler is irrelevant. Looks like a lot of rules but it isnt really
    Rules:

- You have 24 hours to make your pick. If you miss your pick you will have to wait until after number 20 has chosen to make your pick. You will be PM'd about your missed pick and if you miss your pick twice, you will be eliminated from the contest. Your roster will then be either given to a reserve, or the r
    oster will be divided up in a later round.

- If you are banned, for any length of time, during the draft, you will be eliminated from the contest. Your roster will then be either given to a reserve, or the roster will be divied up in a later round.

- In the game no wrestler can be chosen twice. For example, if someone selects Stone Cold then Stone Cold is no longer available for anybody else!

- Each person makes fifteen picks over fifteen rounds. One choice per round. Everyone gets their turn.

Tag Teams:

Tag Teams come as a package so for example if you want the Dudleys then you don't have to pick Bubba one round and then D-Von the next. The rules for tag teams are as follows:

- Cannot have a world champion in them ie no DX or Hart Foundation
    - Must have tagged together for at least 3 months
    - Inter gender tag teams not allowed
    - Members of factions, ie Saturn and Malenko, are not deemed valid picks as they are not classed as legit tag teams under the criteria for the game.
    - 5 tag teams is the maximum amount of teams for each roster

World Titles:
    World titles are considered as the following:
    WWE, World Heavyweight Title/WCW, TNA and NWA

(Note: For the benefit of the game as a whole and to reflect the realistic loss in prestige of the NWA Title, only holders of the NWA Title up until the WCW World Championship came into use will be regarded as World Champions for the purposes of the game. )

Eligible Promotions:
    WWE, TNA, ROH, anything historically going under the NWA banner.

Time Frame:
    No professional debuts pre 1970 are eligible. There will be a round for pre 1970 picks. There will also be a celeb round where celebs who have appeared on wrestling TV are elibible for picks.

- To determine wrestler debuts we will use Wikipedia as in previous years. If you feel the Wikipedia entry is incorrect you can PM me or one of the mods to state your case.

- people who would be considerd Celebs more so than wrestlers are only eligable to be drafted in the special celeb round and not in any other round

- Dark matches and try out matches will not be valid cases this year for selecting a wrestler.

- Managers and female wrestlers are eligible if people wish to pick them. Commentators have not been included in recent years.

Stip rounds:
    Like last year there will be special rounds to shake the game up a bit and keep everyone on their toes. gimmick has a few tricks up his sleeve for us to deal with again I am sure. Round 1 is a stip round so read about that below.

Note - Rules may be amended during the contest to help run the game smoother if it's felt this is necessary but we will aim to ensure everyone is kept up to date if this has to happen.

anybody think any rules need to be alterd or added? I'm still not sure about the tag team limit personally and could see not having it in the game this time round.

draft usually starts at the start of January so this is a very early heads up as when its first come first served with the first 20 posters competing. We can always use some backups too and others commenting on picks etc is welcome once you dont mention undrafted superstars

Should the number of tag teams be cut from 5 to 3? Its just a minor annoyance, and I'll admit I engaged in this too, but it struck me last year that some people picked one person and then added "Oh, and according to wiki, this guy teamed with ____ so I'll choose them as well." That seemed especially prevelant when people chose Japanese wrestlers....

Again, I'll hold my hands up and say I did that too. It's the only thing I think irks me though and its only a minor thing.

Should the number of tag teams be cut from 5 to 3? Its just a minor annoyance, and I'll admit I engaged in this too, but it struck me last year that some people picked one person and then added "Oh, and according to wiki, this guy teamed with ____ so I'll choose them as well." That seemed especially prevelant when people chose Japanese wrestlers....

Again, I'll hold my hands up and say I did that too. It's the only thing I think irks me though and its only a minor thing.

tbh I love that if im honest and think that if you research your pick and can get an extra good draft due to the tag rule then whynot but if the general concensus is that the limit should be cut then It will be and this thread will have served its purpose. 3 imo would def be too little tho as if you wanted more than one tag match on your PPV it would take atleast 5 pick to set up.

• Advertisement

I'd be against this tbh - one of the best things about the game is coming up with a great value pick by getting a tag team no one else might have thought of within the confines of the rules. If the rule about them having teamed together consistently is enforced well I think the rule should stay and I think 5 is a fair number. If you reduce it to three then you're in danger of not allowing people to have any kind of fulltime tag team roster at all on their card which would be a shame.

I'd be more than happy to help if there were Japanese picks that looked a little dodgy to people.

No, thats all grand. As I said, it was only a minor thing and only a personal opinion. I'm more than happy to avail of the rules (even if I won't get Beer Money this year :().

The 5 to 3 thing was more to try and force people to think about making a choice; getting a tag division or feud, or chosing two individual wrestlers as a team to boost their roster. It was more a thought to try and add a bit more pressure/importance to making the pick. But again, it's only a personal opinion and ultimatly I'm not going to fight for the change.

I will say I adored the ruling last year which made it you couldn't choose wrestlers from before a certain year in round one; really made sure we had great choices for round two (never would have had Punk vs Flair otherwise :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think if you pick a team, they must be used as a team though. The Scott Hall Mr Perfect pick has pissed me off whenever it has been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I think it's about time I gave this a go.

gimmick wrote: »
    I think if you pick a team, they must be used as a team though. The Scott Hall Mr Perfect pick has pissed me off whenever it has been used.

I think it was a stroke of brilliance when Pingu made it the first time and people should be rewarded for using such brilliance whenever it happens. Hall and Hennig were a legit and established championship winning team back in the day. If someone displays the knowledge of wrestling history to make the pick then it should be encouraged not discouraged.

I also think making people use tag teams as they are picked is over-restrictive and rigid. Just like a real booker should be allowed use his roster anyway he likes so whould we in this. What if someone wanted to book the Steiners against each other for example in a brother vs brother feud? That freedom to be creative shouldn't be taken away. Making people use Kobashi and Misawa as a team or KENTA and Marujfuji together would seem an awful waste to me.

how about only allowed to pick tag teams if they tagged in the WWE/WCW/TNA (the wrestling companies we use for this competition)

how about only allowed to pick tag teams if they tagged in the WWE/WCW/TNA (the wrestling companies we use for this competition)

Because we allow wrestlers from outside those companies to be drafted too?

You wouldn't be allowed to pick the Briscoes or Kings of Wrestling (or any other major ROH tag team for example)if that rule was in place which would be absolutely ridiculous.

Tbh, I like the way the rules for tag teams are atm. It really rewards you if you research your pick well (like my pick with Age of the Fall last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Been looking more forward to this than Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I agree, the tag rule is perfect at the moment and rewards you for doing research on your picks, like last year getting Generico and Cabana as one pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good luck with it, BH. As I said at the end of the last one I'm sure you'll do a great job with it.

Yeah I'd be interested in competing again in 2012 if there's a spot there. It would be nice to try it without the organisational stuff to deal with.

I always enjoy the ideas people come up with in these too. Remember Ger's Black and Tans storyline, or flah's Road Warriors vs Dudleyz epic feud, or the invasion storyline me, BH and walt did to name but a few. Good times. :cool:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

can someone explain what this is in a nutshell?

can someone explain what this is in a nutshell?

Basically, the PW draft is a fantasy draft game, where 20 people try to create the best roster they can by randomly selecting wrestlers. There's 15 rounds (including stip rounds like celebs and pre-70's picks) in total. After the 15 rounds, each person has to write up a show involving their roster. The winner is decided after every participant has voted.

Note that the draft usually last's around 2-3 months and will consume yer lives for that period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Basically, the PW draft is a fantasy draft game, where 20 people try to create the best roster they can by randomly selecting wrestlers. There's 15 rounds (including stip rounds like celebs and pre-70's picks) in total. After the 15 rounds, each person has to write up a show involving their roster. The winner is decided after every participant has voted.

Note that the draft usually last's around 2-3 months and will consume yer lives for that period

sounds good, although I'd imagine the chances of getting a spot are twofold (f-all and none)

Because we allow wrestlers from outside those companies to be drafted too?

You wouldn't be allowed to pick the Briscoes or Kings of Wrestling (or any other major ROH tag team for example)if that rule was in place which would be absolutely ridiculous.

ok i only offered a suggestion. As well as that, those tag teams are also eligible under my suggestion as ROH is one of the wrestling companies we use (had that written in brackets in my post, i just didnt mention ROH cos it didnt come to mind as i wrote my post).

The big problem i have with the current tag team rule is the combos of japanese wrestlers being picked, some main event talent that can be included as a tag team just cos they never held a world title in the american companies (plenty of world titles in the japanese companies im assuming). It doesnt really affect my picks as since i have zero knowledge of the japanese wrestling world i dont pick from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭glenjamin

sounds good, although I'd imagine the chances of getting a spot are twofold (f-all and none)
    Just keep refreshing the Pro Wrestling forum every half hour for the next month and you might get a spot :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,107 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TBC....................................... ;)

ok i only offered a suggestion. As well as that, those tag teams are also eligible under my suggestion as ROH is one of the wrestling companies we use (had that written in brackets in my post, i just didnt mention ROH cos it didnt come to mind as i wrote my post).

The big problem i have with the current tag team rule is the combos of japanese wrestlers being picked, some main event talent that can be included as a tag team just cos they never held a world title in the american companies (plenty of world titles in the japanese companies im assuming). It doesnt really affect my picks as since i have zero knowledge of the japanese wrestling world i dont pick from there

The Japanese guys still have to have appeared for American companies so they're as eligible as any American wrestler. Generally thats a limited enough pool of wrestlers and only a small number of those again woud be eligible tag teams so its not that big a number really.

You wouldn't be alone in not really being interested in Japanese wrestling anyway so the benefit of having a lot of "bigger" Japanese stars on your roster is quite small. IMO picking Japanese guys in the first few rounds is almost a wasted pick as your picking somone only a few will appreciate at the expense of a main eventer from America most would know instantly.

It won't be the same without Gerard C. :(

• Advertisement

The Japanese guys still have to have appeared for American companies so they're as eligible as any American wrestler. Generally thats a limited enough pool of wrestlers and only a small number of those again woud be eligible tag teams so its not that big a number really.

You wouldn't be alone in not really being interested in Japanese wrestling anyway so the benefit of having a lot of "bigger" Japanese stars on your roster is quite small. IMO picking Japanese guys in the first few rounds is almost a wasted pick as your picking somone only a few will appreciate at the expense of a main eventer from America most would know instantly.

I know I got KENTA and Marufuji (sp?) last year thanks to the rule. I know Muta and someone keeps getting picked as well. There's enough "big" Japan guys to exploit while still retaining name recognition ;P

Advertisement