Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY CD labelling

Options
  • 30-06-2015 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

hi, not sure
    if this is correct, place for this...

I want to present CDs of material to professionals. But I'd like to have them labelled, like the CD ink typed rather than a sloppy stuck on label. Same with CD inserts..
    Is there a printer that will do this thing?
    Also how do you achieved typed envelopes, rather than messy school grade hand writing?

tx
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

hi, not sure

I want to present CDs of material to professionals. But I'd like to have them labelled, like the CD ink typed rather than a sloppy stuck on label. Same with CD inserts..
    Also how do you achieved typed envelopes, rather than messy school grade hand writing?

tx
    Joe

Do you use a MS Office or other similar programs? Learn how to use the labelling function. They will give you an envelope and probably a CD/DVD option (not sure about that one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

hi, not sure

tx
    Joe

Bear in mind that CDs are outdated and a lot of modern laptops no longer have CD drives. I assume its data that you're presenting and not music, branded USB keys may be a better option. I had 30 done before that worked out at about €4 a pop, the more you buy, the cheaper they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sephsleft06

Yeah I have the MS office. thanks I didn't know that was an option. I'll look up on youtube...

No not Data, but music...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

No not Data, but music...

Epson printers used to have a CD/ DVD tray, Verbatim do the discs. The Epson software has the right functionality to print discs.
    Lemme dig a bit, I must have printed thousands of discs over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

As someone who has used the pritable CD/DVD and also the stickers you print and then apply........I don't know what the new generation of printers are like but I found the printable CDs colours ran after a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

As someone who has used the pritable CD/DVD and also the stickers you print and then apply........I don't know what the new generation of printers are like but I found the printable CDs colours ran after a while.

That very much depends. I used to have an Epson Stylus Photo R340, used nothing but Verbatims, but used ink from Inkjet.ie.
    The Verbatims are very important, a lot of budget discs have more read errors than good sectors and will lose data and become completely unreadable over time. Also, they have a very good printable surface and come out really nice.
    That ink is not meant to last forever, so if exposed to prolonged direct sunlight, it will fade. I have seen that on normal printouts (i.e. A4 photographic paper), but still have old discs I printed years and years ago and they look as fresh as they day they were printed. I guess the different surface and the discs being kept in DVD boxes would account for that. Also, to get fading, you would have to put your discs openly in a south facing window where they get a maximum blast every day.
    If one were to use Epson Durabrite ink (€20 per tank vs €5 for non-genuine), it should™ last better. I have a printout of a photo from the Paris Metro in a frame on the wall for the last 5 years or more and it looks fresh as a daisy.

As for stickers:
    DO NOT TOUCH WITH A BARGEPOLE!!!!!!!!!!
    Utter pain in the hole, peel off, get caught in machinery, WILL fcuk up a drive eventually, if get caught in printer you will spend several days peeling it off rollers tiny speck by tiny speck and never get it all or spend hundreds having it fixed.
    CD stickers are the work of the antichrist and whoever invented them should be shot.

In the end, using a printer to print on CD's will always look like someone printed on a disc with a printer, but decent results are possible.

agree, with stickers, just messy...peeling off etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Whosthis wrote: »
    Bear in mind that CDs are outdated and a lot of modern laptops no longer have CD drives. I assume its data that you're presenting and not music, branded USB keys may be a better option. I had 30 done before that worked out at about €4 a pop, the more you buy, the cheaper they get.

Can I ask where you got those done

Advertisement