Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

would there be any information on philosophy please???? was thinking of building credits up with both philosophy and anthropology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

poindexter wrote: »
    would there be any information on philosophy please???? was thinking of building credits up with both philosophy and anthropology
    http://philosophy.nuim.ie/courses01.shtml
    It's not as easy as many people seem to assume in the beginning. In fact it can be very tough to get really high marks. However, if you show up to every class and tutorial, and read a good chunk of what they ask you to read, you'll likely do well. I found first year extremely interesting and stimulating. It challenged and changed the way I think about things in very noticeable ways. It was headmelting in places but well worth it.

Quick note on two of the first year modules.
    Philosophy of Religion last year turned plenty of people off in the beginning, but in the end turned out to be a lot of people's favorite module. It's a very open minded approach and the lecturer is great, very clear and very helpful.

Logic is easy to mess up, but with very little effort you can do very very well indeed. A bunch of people did badly after not bothering to put in the effort to practice and read a bit here and there. I would argue that this module is one of the easiest to get stupidly high marks in. Depending on your essay you can get 80 to 90 percent overall with comparatively little effort. That is, compared to your other modules/subjects. Big marks here will pull your overall average way up, which is helpful if, for instance, you're borderline in one module.

1 essay per module, at 1000 words. That may sound great, being a shorter essay... but it can be difficult to fit everything you want to say into such a small amount of words. You get plenty of time to do the essays though.

15% of the overall mark per module goes to the essay, 5% to tutorial attendance/participation, 80% to the exam.

I loved every second of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Medieval Irish and Celtic Studies anyone? Wondering about the work load and how interesting the course is. Will only get to do it in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I know a guy who did his whole degree in it and loved it. Can't comment on any particular modules though. Hope that helps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I see a few people have asked this already but no answers..

Just looking for some info on music courses, difficulty, interesting, workload etc. The usual stuff...

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Thanks B!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

Any info on hdip finance would be good. is there a blackboard system where i can get notes online? so im starting monday, registering wednesday so for the first 2 days do i just get a timetable for all the modules and wander around to a few of them? what is the site address that gives an explaination of each module?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The college uses Moodle, which is like Blackboard. It differs course by course, lecturer by lecturer as to how much content is online. One of my lecturers puts the whole course online, and mp3s and links to youtube videos, titles from the reading list that are on Google Books, the works. Really puts the effort in. And some have never even logged into Moodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Can anyone tell me anything about the 3rd year Geography modules? Particularly the Human Geography ones. I'm having trouble settling on which modules to take cos too many of the lecturers drew me in with their introductory lectures.

I've registered for Urban Planning and Property Development - which didn't seem that exciting in the first lecture, and Regional Development and Planning which seemed quite interesting in the intro lecture.

But I also went to Approaches to Human Geography which was intriguing, but very theoretical, not sure how difficult it will get, and Climate Change also intrigued me and it's a very topical subject at the moment, and probably will be for quite some time.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

is there one area i can go to get sample answers for the last few exams in all my subjects?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

5Aces wrote: »
    is there one area i can go to get sample answers for the last few exams in all my subjects?

Go to the library website and click on exam papers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Emilyxoxo

I'm doing a BA in arts with English and History as my subjects. I'm currently in my third year and I was wondering if anybody knows if I have to do a thesis in either of these subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Emilyxoxo wrote: »
    I'm doing a BA in arts with English and History as my subjects. I'm currently in my third year and I was wondering if anybody knows if I have to do a thesis in either of these subjects?

Emily, we don't have a thesis for English, the EN351 (seminar) essay is going to be fairly long as far as I know and the Modernism one is rumoured to be around 3000 words, but no thesis to my knowledge, pretty certain I asked Stephen O'Neill last year on moodle and he said no, we just have longer essays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 _Gracieee

Anyone have any info on the social science course? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You take Social Policy and Sociology with a 3rd Arts subject in first year, which you then drop after the year (Although as far as I'm aware you can drop Social policy and just do arts if you don't like it).

Anything else you want to know....?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 x-x-footloose-x

know any good sites for translating or getting the english translation of spanish poems???

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rossean

Does anyone have any information on the Postgrad course in Irish translation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

know any good sites for translating or getting the english translation of spanish poems???

Is that for SPA211 with Prof.Kinsella?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 iffy

hey was looking into doing social policy next year, i know what the basic outline of the course is, was just wondering what the hours are like? is there a big workload?

Thanks for any help :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 susieu

Anyone doing Anthropology? Would love to get some real info from actual students....

• Advertisement

I'm in my 3rd year of Anthropology, what is it you'd like to know? The subject can be very broad with modules that range from language/power/food/ethnography/death etc. throughout the three years.

Jackpot, I found a third year!

I understand that the modules are very broad, just wondering about the usual stuff. Amount of contact hours, what is the pace like, type of material covered in the first year, is it very structured or is there flexibility to tailor the course to your own interests? How are you finding it as a course in terms of organisation and time efficiency? Any general advice or tips? I really want to make an informed decision on this course.

Thanks a million for your help!

You'll do 3 modules per semester if you're taking it with another subject, 2 hours per module per week in 3rd year (think it was the same last year). Depending on how much you enjoy each particular module, some of the classes can seem very long as they're often 2 hours at a time. In First year you do set modules, no choices. In second year they vary and you can more or less tailor the course to your own interests. Be prepared to read a lot, and to accept conflicting opinions from different Anthropologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Anthropologists.

Off- topic. This looks like a fun word to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

How long before you get your own TV show like yer wan off Bones? I assume that's why you're all doing anthropology, David Boreanaz, switz swoo

Thanks, that's very helpful Rozabeez. I'm well used to doing plenty of reading (previous undergrad thesis -feels like only yesterday). I wonder if there is a reading list available for first years somewhere on the website. If you don't mind, could you recommend maybe one book that you found most helpful/relevant. If I had my way I'd have the entire course content covered before I even started, lol.

-LeixlipRed, I expect to have my own TV show by the end of semester 1...

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    How long before you get your own TV show like yer wan off Bones? I assume that's why you're all doing anthropology, David Boreanaz, switz swoo

I'm afraid I'll be going down the sociolinguistics route instead!

susieu wrote: »
    Thanks, that's very helpful Rozabeez. I'm well used to doing plenty of reading (previous undergrad thesis -feels like only yesterday). I wonder if there is a reading list available for first years somewhere on the website. If you don't mind, could you recommend maybe one book that you found most helpful/relevant. If I had my way I'd have the entire course content covered before I even started, lol.

I can't recommend books because the course readings change depending on which module they have that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

susieu wrote: »

If you look like the Bones one I'd expect so too. Grumpy but hot, the best kind.

And sociolinguistics eh? What sort of TV show will you get out of that? You could teach David Caruso to not pause so much for effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 electronichaze

*awkwardly tip-toes into topic*

okay, so this evening i've suddenly started thinking, quite obsessively, about doing english, spanish [ab initio] and french in college next year.

yer sounds a bit iffy..i know..
    so thought i'd ask, do you guys think such a combinatation would be simply ricidulous?

OOOR [i'm going out on a limb here] does anyone know of the spanish french english combo being done before? even better, *wide eyes* is there anyone on here whos currently undertaking language overkill such as this in maynooth??

another question; can anyone tell me if the erasmus/international scheme in maynooth has links with méxico? :cool: in fact..where DOES it link with? i can't find that info anywhere.

Advertisement