Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Maths isnt that complicated
    [...]

Actually it's thermodynamics. :p

I had that when I was young and occasionally visited my school. ;)

And this is to be read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process#Adiabatic_heating_and_cooling

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

I dont know if anyone here has had the 'fun' of fault finding in a mercedes pneumatic central locking system but I spent 4hrs at it today including striping the pse pump cleaning up connections reparing damaged hoses and airlines only to discover some smartarse had removed the fuse in fuse box! AARRGGHH........

only consolation is its working perfectly now and I presume the repairs I made are the reason the fuse got pulled....lazy mechanic style,
    still I learnt a good bit more than when I started and a job off the list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Ardent

Had to replace an O2 sensor in my 523i e60 and my local bmw indy wanted 250 euro for the part + whatever was going to be on top of that for labour.

Said f*ck that, and ordered two of them from rock auto in the US for 180 delivered. Delivery only took 4 days as well.

Replaced both sensors myself tonight. Bit of a pig of a job, but a good feeling afterwards - the sense of accomplishment and two fingers to the gougers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Replaced spark plugs on the Civic this morning. They were iridiums,they definitely needed doing. decided to cheap out and just get regular plugs (they're a doddle to to, and only €5 a piece)

• Advertisement

Had a bit of time so did an oil change, this stuff is great value.
    LnEQQu.jpg

Here is my expensive high tech drainage pan
    FlDIil.jpg
    1cgapN.jpg

€1.30 funnel
    qmeswz.jpg

Waste oil ready to be recycled
    uWXzzO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Replaced spark plugs on the Civic this morning. They were iridiums,they definitely needed doing. decided to cheap out and just get regular plugs (they're a doddle to to, and only €5 a piece)

Iv given up on irridiums went through 3 sets in 12k miles on the gsxr. Last set one failed on the dyno. Went for twin electrode this time

Last car I've bought iridiums for was the FTO 5 yeses ago As it was a transverse v6, the rear plugs were a pig to do.

Unregistered Users

Last time I've bought iridiums one of electrodes broke apart, fell into a cylinder causing serious damage. Ended up with engine replacement. facepalm.gif

And plugs weren't old - one year maybe, some 25 000 km done on them. :(

Yikes :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I replaced Iridiums in my da's yoke there a couple of months ago. The old ones were in about 50k miles in fairness, but jaysus I don't know how the car was still running. There was nothing left of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Spent hours trying to get at the bulbs that are behind the heater controls. I eventually got them out.

Anyone know what these bulbs are called( the burnt ones) . The bigger one is the bulb you often get in kits just as a size comparison.

cxZVEu6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

nd wrote: »
    Great thanks.

You can get those bulbs in a motor factors. Just bring the old bulbs with you so they know what your looking for. What you get will probably have a slightly higher wattage so might be a bit brighter than the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

last motor factors i worked in, we called them a tachograph bulb. how correct or widely used that is, i have no idea. generally they come in a holder like the image below.

they went in my corolla too, they are an absolute pest to get out and 3 times harder to get back in. i used a thin nosed pliers in the end and it went ok, i'd buy 4 for sure, because you will break one and you will lose one down the back of the dash while re-fitting.

it was only while doing these that i realised all the dash buttons, hazard lights, rear screen heater etc were illuminated and all those bulbs were gone too :pac: had to get those bulbs from a scrap yard. motor factors had never seen them before!

$_35.JPG

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Unregistered Users

It was just an example. At least you're able to ask for something you know the name of it rather than asking for "ye know, a small bulb I have under a dash". :P

last motor factors i worked in, we called them a tachograph bulb. how correct or widely used that is, i have no idea. generally they come in a holder like the image below.

they went in my corolla too, they are an absolute pest to get out and 3 times harder to get back in. i used a thin nosed pliers in the end and it went ok, i'd buy 4 for sure, because you will break one and you will lose one down the back of the dash while re-fitting.

it was only while doing these that i realised all the dash buttons, hazard lights, rear screen heater etc were illuminated and all those bulbs were gone too :pac: had to get those bulbs from a scrap yard. motor factors had never seen them before!

$_35.JPG

yeah i originally took it off to try change the led that lights up the hazard light. but noticed the other bulbs blown.

i managed to get the back off it so it should now be easy enough to get the bulbs back in

L8Kgfvg.jpg

i was thinking of trying to get a 12v led and fit it into the connector if they don't have any at the local scrapyard tommorow.

VaUixDn.jpg

the left one is still ok.

• Advertisement

An LED won't spread the light the same way as a bulb. You'll have dark/bright sections on your dials.

oh i thought those things were actually leds. i might be able to get 12v bulbs that size online.

nd wrote: »
    oh i thought those things were actually leds. i might be able to get 12v bulbs that size online.
    Are they just not regular bulbs with green caps over them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

When I wanted these for the avensis, I just went to the main dealer. They were about €4 a pop but since they dont need to be changed often it wasnt the end of the world.

When I wanted these for the avensis, I just went to the main dealer. They were about €4 a pop but since they dont need to be changed often it wasnt the end of the world.
    For that age of car the main dealers most probably won't have the bulbs(the ones in the holders). The regular w2w bulbs from a main dealer will more than likely be the same as you'll get in a factors, same brand even(ring)

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Are they just not regular bulbs with green caps over them?

idk this is it out of the connector, idk how you tell if it's an led or not.

Bt8H4hI.jpg

but it just lights up the hazard light button so it prob. doesn't matter either way.

If it was a led, it would only work with the wires one way, ie if you reversed the polarity of the terminals it would/wouldn't work.

Also they look different.

These are LEDs
    oimg_ca00183473.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

that's an incandescent bulb in nd's post.

i know second hand bulbs aren't ideal and neither is theft, but i just went to a scrap yard, i was buying a few other corolla trim pieces and i liberated a few of those bulbs from the switches in an avensis dash. you aren't supposed to remove those bulbs from the holders and each switch (a/c, hazards, demister etc) all have a different style bulb in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Thermo swap!

Useless f*ck wouldn't let it warm up fully
    15677005339_89c194728d_h.jpg

The new boyo
    15677258167_4b72e4febe_h.jpg

Better drain the coolant. That's not coolant :rolleyes:
    15862394652_1d7898677c_h.jpg

You'd be some looking bollox if you left that in come freezing weather...

3 bolts, 3 pipes, 1 plug. Piece of cake :cool:
    15675695930_e2ee387aed_h.jpg

Yeah. Coolant :rolleyes:
    15677263527_ead27faa19_h.jpg

Doesn't that look a good bit better
    15862399722_00f8fd109a_h.jpg

Fired in a hape of concentrated coolant, diluted it, tested. Job done. We have a far better driving car now :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Had an unidentified minor diesel puddle growing underneath the paj during the week, had blamed it on the last of the spilled stuff dripping off from my tinkering last week.

Spotted a bit of smoke rising out from under the bonnet today, pulled it up and one of the injectors was only spraying diesel everywhere :eek: Excitement must have gotten the better of me last week and made me forget to tighten the nut properly on it :rolleyes:

Sorted that out, took her for a spin, and.. what do ya know, clutch slip in 4th & 5th. Putting it down to contamination from the leak, there's hapes of it all over the bell housing, going to see how it fares out for a few days.

Advertisement