Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PREBAITING Advice for course fishing

• 01-07-2011 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Prebait or not?
    Hi guys little advice needed tommorow im bringing my nephews just gone 8 and 10 fishing for the first time.
    Ill be fishing on the suck on a stretch ive fished all my life.
    There is plenty of perch roach some rudd bream possibly hybrids not sure and some tench never caught one but seen them being caught lots of lillies and a muddy bottom.

Now i want to make the experience for the kids as positive as possible so all fishes will be returned alive
    have gone down with just a pint of maggotts and used the little and often approach to catch fish.

If i prebaited would the morning maybe 4 hours before fishing be long enough thinking couple of pints of maggots and afew pounds of ground bait and maybe some sweetcorn? or would perbaiting the night before be wortha shot?
    obv im not going to hold a shoal or bream with such meagre offerings but im not made of money either

id like to catch some different types of fish not just the guaranteed perch and roach.
    if all else fails i could fish for minnows witha single size 18:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Long time since I did any cousse fishing but that sounds like a lot of maggots, would you not stuff the fish, thought the idea was creat a clown of small particale of food to get them in but not to get them stiffed.

What about a few pounds of ground bait, some hemp and some corn meal (anminal grade corn flaks) bought from a co-op. Throw in a few tins fo lidl's best sweet corn.

Hope it gose well.

PS size 20 hook is much bettter for minnows :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

if possible freeze the maggots to kill them before you use them for pre baiting, other wise they just borrow into the silt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

if possible freeze the maggots to kill them before you use them for pre baiting, other wise they just borrow into the silt!

Ah ya knew was forgetting something ill probably just head witha pint of maggots and bag of groundbait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Only seeing this now Mick. How did it go? I thought you only fished with a shotgun?

Cheap prebait can be made from animal feeds such as layers pellets or calf nuts or flaked maise.. Just steep them the nigh before and run them through a riddle and add some loose offerings like maggots or caster and away you go..

If you want to kill a few maggots for the ground bait put a few in boiling water and they die instantly... freezing them doesn't seem to work.. they are cryogenic little feckers and just come back to life when they thaw...

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Macspower wrote: »
    Only seeing this now Mick. How did it go? I thought you only fished with a shotgun?

Cheap prebait can be made from animal feeds such as layers pellets or calf nuts or flaked maise.. Just steep them the nigh before and run them through a riddle and add some loose offerings like maggots or caster and away you go..

If you want to kill a few maggots for the ground bait put a few in boiling water and they die instantly... freezing them doesn't seem to work.. they are cryogenic little feckers and just come back to life when they thaw...

best of luck

No fishing kids had to get bicycles or something so went myself crossing onto an island i fish and got 2 wellys full fo water river was upa bit and coloured so didnt bother fishing caught 20 odd daddys long legs for dapping instead

• Advertisement
Advertisement