Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cabbage for android

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

ryderster, posted this in the original cabbage thread but Sam told me to put it here instead....

Great app Just got my first Android device (HTC Desire) and Cabbage works a treat!

I noticed when downloading other applications from the market it tells you what they will have access to on the phone before you install.
    Would it be possible for cabbage to get access to the mobile data connection so it could switch it on and off itself when sending a message??

Would be an excellent feature imho. I keep mobile data and wifi switched off unless I need them (to extend the battery life between charges) and I've to switch data back on before I send a message, so it would be a killer feature.

BTW I'm using cabbage perfectly on my HTC Desire 2.1 Sense, so the legend issue in the post above may not be related to 2.1 and the sense interface. hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭ryderster

Hi lafors,
    That sounds like a great feature.
    I'll add it to the list and hopefully get that sorted for next week.

Any other ideas send them on..

Regards,
    Christian

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

lafors wrote: »
    BTW I'm using cabbage perfectly on my HTC Desire 2.1 Sense, so the legend issue in the post above may not be related to 2.1 and the sense interface. hth

Might be worthwhile passing on the Build number, there is one build of HTC Sense on the Hero that works fine and another newer build that doesn't

draffodx wrote: »
    Might be worthwhile passing on the Build number, there is one build of HTC Sense on the Hero that works fine and another newer build that doesn't

Build number
    1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi Guys, Downloaded this onto the HTC Desire but I don't see any way of accessing the phone book or contacts list. How do I do this? or do I just type in the number and select from recent contacts?

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Downloaded this onto the HTC Desire but I don't see any way of accessing the phone book or contacts list. How do I do this? or do I just type in the number and select from recent contacts?

type letters, so if you want to txt someone called dave, then type da and then a list will appear with all people with da in their name.
    idiot proof ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

idiot proof
    in theory ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tried that but nothing happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I downloaded it from the Android Market onto my Desire & it just worked first time? When sending the message I just entered the name of the person & it brought up all the people who matched that.

must be me then , tried re installing but no joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

must be me then , tried re installing but no joy.

I have the same issue. If this bug can be ironed out it will make this app even better than it already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Grudle wrote: »
    I have the same issue. If this bug can be ironed out it will make this app even better than it already is.

Same as that, my Desire contact list is linked between phone book / facebook etc bu cabbage seems to be picking up some old SIM entries that I have since deleted.

okay cheers for the insight to the bug, ill look into it..this extra info makes it easier to pin point. Thanks
    Ryderster

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Updated to new build 1.31.405.4 today, reinstalled Cabbage and still no dropdown menu at all.

I added my contacts from my old SIM when I got my phone, and re-edited them (they were formatted in a Surname;Firstname fashion when I got them in) combining them with my Facebook contacts through the web and stored on the phone memory. Hope this helps to iterate the cause of the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Finally got to installing and using this - great app, thanks to all involved. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Wow didnt realise it stored the sent messages in the main message app, sweet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

First off, it's a great app. Very tidy and easy to use. I have the same issue as the other lads though. The phonebook menu doesn't drop down. It stores recent contacts but I must copy an paste. Same as previous, HTC Desire, Build number: 1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys.
    As for ideas, would it be possible to register it so Android sees it as an alternative method to reply to messages. At the moment if you open a message in Messages/WebSMS and click reply (in my phone) it offers the chance to reply via WebSMS or Messages but not Cabbage. Perhaps allow android to recognise cabbage as a method to reply rather than have to exit out of messages and start cabbage each time.

Just wondering why some of you have problems with it on the desire....seeing as it works perfect for me.

What type of contacts have you enabled?
    i.e. go to People>Menu>View
    I have:
    Only contacts with phone number - Unchecked
    Sim (0) - Checked
    Google (589) - Checked
    Show auto Gmail contacts - Unchecked
    Phone (0) - Checked
    Facebook (137) - Unchecked

I see I use google for all my contacts, none on my sim and none on my phone.

EDIT: THINK I'VE FOUND THE ANSWER ;)
    I just created a contact on my "sim" called Tester
    It doesn't show up in cabbage.
    And I just created a contact on my "phone" called Tester2
    Again it doesn't show up in cabbage.
    I created a contact on my "Google" called Tester3
    It shows up in cabbage.
    So it seems cabbage uses the "Google" phonebook as its source?

I suppose those 2 types of contacts just need to be enabled by ryderster
    HTH

Just wondering why some of you have problems with it on the desire....seeing as it works perfect for me.

What type of contacts have you enabled?
    i.e. go to People>Menu>View
    I have:
    Only contacts with phone number - Unchecked
    Sim (0) - Checked
    Google (589) - Checked
    Phone (0) - Checked
    Facebook (137) - Unchecked

I see I use google for all my contacts, none on my sim and none on my phone.

EDIT: THINK I'VE FOUND THE ANSWER ;)
    I just created a contact on my "sim" called Tester
    It shows up in cabbage.
    So it seems cabbage uses the "Google" phonebook as its source?

I suppose those 2 types of contacts just need to be enabled by ryderster
    HTH
    Mine:

Only contacts with phone number - Checked
    Sim (0) - Unchecked
    Google (0) - Checked
    Phone (48) - Checked (There's actually more but they're covered by FB)
    Facebook (81) - Checked

I'm a hotmail user so my numbers aren't synced with Gmail. Might be time to switch though I think.

If Rydster could enable the phone and facebook it would be great but syncing seems as easy

EDIT: Any idea how I could sync facebook and phone contacts with gmail/google?

Bomber6 wrote: »
    EDIT: Any idea how I could sync facebook and phone contacts with gmail/google?

Have you tried the Import/Export>Export to SD option in menu in contacts?
    Not sure if its any use but might be worth a try? Backup first though.

• Advertisement

Have you tried the Import/Export>Export to SD option in menu in contacts?
    Not sure if its any use but might be worth a try? Backup first though.
    Yep, works for phone, not for facebook. So I got a Greasmonkey Firefox script so just got to complete any missing fields and convert .contact to .csv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Small problem with this on a Desire.

I can't see my phone numbers. They are saved on Phone sd card and not sim. Can't figure out how to move them to SIM as I can see the 2 numbers that are actually on the sim...any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Same problem on my Desire. Can only see a couple of numbers.
    All my numbers are on the sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I can see no numbers, manually typed in a few and now they're appearing as 'Unknown Number - 087xxxxxxx - Unknown Number'.

To fix this problem, you'll need to copy all your facebook/twitter/phone/SIM contacts into your gmail account.
    Facebook:
    Download Facebook Phonebook explorer (Google it, Brads life is the website). Open http://www.facebook.com/friends/?view=phonebook and follow instructions on that Brads life site. Copy them to your gmail account.
    Twitter:
    Is there contacts in twitter?
    SIM:
    Open "People" on the phone. Press Menu. Select Import/Export and Import from SIM Card. Create these contacts under you google account of course. Alternatively Import to the phone and continue as below to do them all at once
    Phone Memory:
    Install HTC Sync (It's on the supplied memory card. Just connect it via the cable) Using this do a backup of the contacts to "Windows Contacts" (Windows Vista/7 only). Once done, go to Users/[Your account]/Contacts and select Export from the top. Export as a .CSV file. Now go to Gmail and open the contacts page (link below inbox/sent etc. links on left). Import the .CSV file. Voila!
    SD Card:
    Copy to the phone memory first

Don't forget to delete any duplicates.

You can enable/disable certain phone numbers, i.e. SIM numbers, via the Menu button in People. Just select View and choose your options.

Now since I've done the hard work for you ryderster, when can I expect to get my limited edition black/grey Cabbage .apk :D. Great app btw!

Hi guys,
    I spent some time looking into this issue and think I have a fix for the problem. But because I am having trouble reproducing the problem and dont fancy removing all my contacts, is there anyone well to test the fix?

I should have it ready for tonight about 22:30 or so...

Thanks with all your help narrowing the problem.

Regards
    ryderster

ps. a few people have requested new features
    - character count
    - power saving mode - if internet is disabled, cabbage should be able to turn it on and then reset it to the way it was originally

this should be added before saturday evening

ryderster wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I spent some time looking into this issue and think I have a fix for the problem. But because I am having trouble reproducing the problem and dont fancy removing all my contacts, is there anyone well to test the fix?

I should have it ready for tonight about 22:30 or so...

Thanks with all your help narrowing the problem.

Regards
    ryderster

ps. a few people have requested new features
    - character count
    - power saving mode - if internet is disabled, cabbage should be able to turn it on and then reset it to the way it was originally

this should be added before saturday evening
    Great. Looking forward to it. Any chance you can intergrate it as I suggested so that you have the possibility to reply to a message using cabbage without having to manually open it and run it? Leave reading the message etc to the built in app though unless you want a lot more work :D (try the rival WebSMS to see what I mean)
    Regarding testing, lafors suggestion should work (test numbers). Create and try to find them. I don't know if this is a HTC Desire or Android 2.1 only problem though?
    ...I just created a contact on my "sim" called Tester
    It shows up in cabbage.

well,
    I may seem stupid but I cant seem to add a new sim contact, I seem to only have google contacts list on my nexus 1..

i can try my g1 the weekend doh, so should get it sorted then either way.

regards,
    ryderster

ryderster wrote: »
    well,
    I may seem stupid but I cant seem to add a new sim contact, I seem to only have google contacts list on my nexus 1..

i can try my g1 the weekend doh, so should get it sorted then either way.

regards,
    ryderster
    It won't let you or you can't see the option? If latter, go to people app, menu button, new contact, select phone/sim contact type from drop down menu. Of course make sure SIM contacts can be viewed.

• Advertisement

I remember seeing similar menu options on the HTC G1 but they dont appear to be there on the Neuxs 1. There is only 2 options Google and Facebook contacts but no sim.

I searched our friend google and turns out you cant.. u have to import sim contacts on nexus 1 to google contacts.

So i cant test the fix till the weekend.

And on the option to send text from cabbage as default. Thats on the list to but requires a fair bit of work, so when I get some spare time in next 2-3 weeks Ill get it done

regards,
    ryderster

Advertisement