Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

RichieC wrote: »
    The life of the malcontent is tough indeed..

I'm on the right road and not the easy one indeed !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Here's one after today

Peter Stringer should be parachuted back into the Irish squad after the French game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I dont understand the attraction of Georgia Salpa and I'm fed up looking at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Here's one after today

Peter Stringer should be parachuted back into the Irish squad after the French game

All Rugby players should be parachuted into the sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

focus_mad wrote: »
    Another thing, did no one have the cop on to not spend 300k on a former council house and instead buy a big house with a bit of land in a commuter area????

I won't bother with what's wrong with the first bit. But what's the 3 most important things about buying property again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

44leto wrote: »
    From another thread capitalism and it has lifed more people out of poverty then any other system tried in history.

If you want to solve Africa's problems what they need is more sweat shops, then they will start to develop.

As for sweat shops, I worked in one, in my first job in the 80s, low pay, shift work, no union and poor conditions as did a lot of people, but then because of those labour intensive jobs coming from foreign investment Ireland was lifted out of the malaise of our economic stagnation to become one of the wealthiest countries in the world.

But now we may be heading back there but I seriously doubt to those depts. We still have it relatively good.

Africa needs to help itself first. They are never going to develop with the levels of political corruption that hinders both development and progression.

Until they remedy this, I see no point in countries funneling millions upon millions each year into their corrupt systems.

And stop fcuking reproducing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Support the Irish economy, make more use of food stamps to pay SW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Food stamps are a terrible idea as they don't pay for esb, rent, phone, loans etc. Everyone is going to have different bills so SW would have to access on an individual basis, how much each applicant spends on essentials and how much they spend on food. This would be time consuming and very expensive. Plus, would the food stamps be vouchers that you can use anywhere? If they were issued in amounts of €10 and you spend €6.35, would you get another voucher back for €3.65?

I used to spend about €15 euro a week on food, so giving me food stamps for say, €30 would have meant that I was short €15 elsewhere. In theory they sound great but I don't see how it would be a realistic option as there are too many variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PHIDIAS

blow69 wrote: »
    Africa needs to help itself first. They are never going to develop with the levels of political corruption that hinders both development and progression.

Until they remedy this, I see no point in countries funneling millions upon millions each year into their corrupt systems.

Also what does not help the situation is the growing popularity of catholicism which preaches about abstinence and their staunch (out dated) opposition to contraception. The catholic church has a lot to answer for in my opinion unpopular as it may be....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholicism_in_Africa rising numbers seen here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

blow69 wrote: »

Check out this thread - for some reason it never gets listed under New Posts.

navbits_finallink_ltr.gif Irelands 2012 budget: How much for Overseas AID?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Food stamps are a terrible idea as they don't pay for esb, rent, phone, loans etc. Everyone is going to have different bills so SW would have to access on an individual basis, how much each applicant spends on essentials and how much they spend on food. This would be time consuming and very expensive. Plus, would the food stamps be vouchers that you can use anywhere? If they were issued in amounts of €10 and you spend €6.35, would you get another voucher back for €3.65?

I used to spend about €15 euro a week on food, so giving me food stamps for say, €30 would have meant that I was short €15 elsewhere. In theory they sound great but I don't see how it would be a realistic option as there are too many variables.

Food stamps are also terribly stigmatising. Lots of people are on SW these days who have never been before in their lives and are trying to secure new employment. Why should they have to produce food stamps at the supermarket before judging eyes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Food stamps are also terribly stigmatising. Lots of people are on SW these days who have never been before in their lives and are trying to secure new employment. Why should they have to produce food stamps at the supermarket before judging eyes?

The poor flowers :(

What will the Murphys think if they see that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

What will the Murphys think if they see that?

One can says to another "why are they buying Beamish?"
    "because they're cheaper than us lot you muppet"

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

Foreigners should only get social welfare in accordanse to the amount to tax they have paid to ireland, ie. never worked = no benefits. and after that if they have no job after a six month period they should be sent home to there own country as they are no benfit to the irish economy.
    Ireland has always been to soft on these people who only come here to take take take!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

mel1 wrote: »
    Foreigners should only get social welfare in accordanse to the amount to tax they have paid to ireland, ie. never worked = no benefits. and after that if they have no job after a six month period they should be sent home to there own country as they are no benfit to the irish economy.
    Ireland has always been to soft on these people who only come here to take take take!

Isn't that pretty much how it works though?
    I'm fairly sure they need to have built up tax credits of about two years' work's worth in order to claim.

Also, your opinions are very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

I'm fairly sure they need to have built up tax credits of about two years' work's worth in order to claim.

Also, you're opinions are very popular.

What world do you live in??????

What world do you live in??????

Moo.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Father Ted was sh*t.

Poor comedy, bad acting and always thought it was trying too hard to be funny.

With you on this. I never got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Justin Bieber is a terrific musician, an even better human being and a great role model for young children.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hello Face.
    This is Palm.

• Advertisement

Also, your opinions are very popular.

Anyone from any country can walk into s/w office with bunch kids look for money and accomodation and be given it, i saw it with my own eyes while with my friend whose husband had abandoned her and her kids, she need some cash to tide her over and was not given any help, a negro went in before her and got cash in hand and other person (as above) got what he was looking for! bit unfair i think. and no i am not racist but i think its every country for themselves now!

yes you are right but most see my opinion as being racist and that in itself is said to be unpopuluar even though i recon most think it but think its politicaly incorrect to speak their mind!

Hello Face.
    This is Palm.

See unpopular already, thats why i dont have many close friends.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Anyone from any country can walk into s/w office with bunch kids look for money and accomodation and be given it, i saw it with my own eyes while with my friend whose husband had abandoned her and her kids, she need some cash to tide her over and was not given any help, a negro went in before her and got cash in hand and other person (as above) got what he was looking for! bit unfair i think. and no i am not racist but i think its every country for themselves now!

yes you are right but most see my opinion as being racist and that in itself is said to be unpopuluar even though i recon most think it but think its politicaly incorrect to speak their mind!

The 'negro' was getting what they were entitled to under Irish law. If you have a problem with that, your problem is with Irish lawmakers. So lobby the government, get a protest going, or run for an office yourself. If enough people agree with you, you might get somewhere.

It's lazy and xenophobic to sit around blaming foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It's my opinion that most people can't figure out when their opinion is unpopular or not.

You might not perhaps mean to be racist, but using that word sure makes you seem like you are!

Where were these people looking for cash by the way?

The 'negro' was getting what they were entitled to under Irish law. If you have a problem with that, your problem is with Irish lawmakers. So lobby the government, get a protest going, or run for an office yourself. If enough people agree with you, you might get somewhere.

It's lazy and xenophobic to sit around blaming foreigners.

Nobody is blaming foreigners, its just my opinion, isnt that the point of this thread.

My opinion goes only so far to say no foreigner, be it negro or other, should come to this country only looking for a free ride as many of them do and should not be "entitled" to do so!

You might not perhaps mean to be racist, but using that word sure makes you seem like you are!

Where were these people looking for cash by the way?

Like i said political correctness is not my strong point!

I dont feel anyone should come to Ireland, be he negro, english, russian, turkish, or another race just for a free ride, so many of them do, i know this cause i listen to themselves chat about it every day.
    I have a lot of contact with non irish people and have as much respect for the honest decent ones as i do an Irish person.
    So no i dont think im racist cause i dont like Irish wasters either!

Your local friendly social welfare office is where you go if your stuck for money or are just a scab looking for a free handout!

Nobody is blaming foreigners, its just my opinion, isnt that the point of this thread.

My opinion goes only so far to say no foreigner, be it negro or other, should come to this country only looking for a free ride as many of them do and should not be "entitled" to do so!

You should really stop saying "negro," it can't see it going down well.

Do you have any stats to back up your claim that many foreign people are coming here for a free ride?

Anyway, they're not entitled to a free ride.
    EU immigrants have to build up tax credits to claim social welfare, just like us.
    Restrictions are much tougher for those outside the EU, and asylum seekers get €19 disposable income before probably being deported.

I agree that people shouldn't go to another country just to get a free ride.
    Obviously there's always going to be a few people trying to cheat any system (from here and abroad) but I don't think many people come here to do so.

• Advertisement

Moo.

:D:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement