Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to sailing - Questions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

neris wrote: »
    Was great sailing tonight apart from the poxy rain shower at the end.

Haha, you missed the hailstones-the-size-of-small-golfballs of last night! Honestly, it was like snow (and equally as slippy!) on deck.

How is that even possible in mid-May :confused:

We were bloody frozen. Summer in Dublin how are ye!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Haha, you missed the hailstones-the-size-of-small-golfballs of last night! Honestly, it was like snow (and equally as slippy!) on deck.

How is that even possible in mid-May :confused:

We were bloody frozen. Summer in Dublin how are ye!

Ha on, we had a fairly heavy but thankfully shortlived shower that was like being rained on with ice, I never thought that five layers of tops would have me feeling cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Stheno wrote: »
    Ha on, we had a fairly heavy but thankfully shortlived shower that was like being rained on with ice, I never thought that five layers of tops would have me feeling cold!

Wait til the brass monkeys.

Stheno, I tried to reply to your PMs but your inbox is full! Only home from work now, and just saw your messages, hence the late reply.

We're sorted for tomorrow I'm afraid, but maybe your Howth skipper might know someone else who would need crew?

Keep in touch anyway and we might get you out one of these weeks :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Will do :) and I've cleared my pms :)

The Oh is horrified at the bruises heehee

• Advertisement

'Twas a bruising sort of a week alright!

I was absolutely PASTED to the bed this morning, after the few hours out last night (we went out early for a close-up gander at the QMII - very impressive). They weren't even particularly taxing hours, but I'm clearly not used to all that fresh air :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

oh god the bruises, My knees are completely blue / black / yellow now :D. Also managed to bruise the top of my left foot which is making walking sore...

Good times

alph wrote: »
    oh god the bruises, My knees are completely blue / black / yellow now :D. Also managed to bruise the top of my left foot which is making walking sore...

Good times

The guys today were telling me to watch out for the gardening knee supports in Aldi as some of them use them and find them great.

My knees are a sight to behold. Out again today, and it was absolutely fantastic, it's like a completely different world :D It was windier so we went faster and the boat moved completely differently, so I got to test my mettle for want of a better word when moving around, still on an adrenaline high a few hours later :)

Plus I bought a great book which explains stuff really well, and has lots of pictures :D Definitely getting hooked on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

whats the book called?

oceanman wrote: »
    whats the book called?

The complete sailing manual by Steve Sleight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

The complete sailing manual by Steve Sleight?
    I have that book, it's a great one. Between that and Reed's Skipper's Handbook I've never needed any other reference books.

Conchir wrote: »
    I have that book, it's a great one. Between that and Reed's Skipper's Handbook I've never needed any other reference books.

I'm finding it great as a complete newb, it's laid out incredibly well and takes a really nice view explaining things that I've found really good. Pretty much any questions I've been looking for answers to are in it, think it will really help me when I do my level one and two course as it's a great section on dinghies :)

I'm finding it great as a complete newb, it's laid out incredibly well and takes a really nice view explaining things that I've found really good. Pretty much any questions I've been looking for answers to are in it, think it will really help me when I do my level one and two course as it's a great section on dinghies :)
    While I have read all the sections on the boat, only the dinghy sections really apply to me and I can safely say they're a great resource. I had this book a few years ago when I was only a beginner, and it's just as useful now as an instructor as it was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Came accross this one today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbvVMIxNdPQ

Have not watched any of it, but it cant do any harm if you have a free 90 minutes.

murphym7 wrote: »
    Came accross this one today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbvVMIxNdPQ

Have not watched any of it, but it cant do any harm if you have a free 90 minutes.

This is a great video for a newb like me :)

Am doing the ISA basic skills course (replaced level 1/2, four three hour sessions) this week so looking forward to applying the knowledge.

Thank you!

So, an update.

I've finished both taste of sailing and start sailing, and now crew regularly on a cruiser, and different dinghies

However, my right hand in particular is in bits, despite using gloves, I regularly come in and have skinned fingers/calluses on my palm.

Any suggestions to help with this?

What gloves are they? And do they definitely fit right?

The thin Musto ones, think they are called Amara. Maybe I just need thicker gloves?

I use Musto gloves too, but I'd almost always have some cuts or callouses after sailing. I've just accepted it that my hands will always be in bits. Maybe some of the big boat sailors on the forum could advise you further. Thicker gloves perhaps?

Someone suggested it might be that my hands not being used to physical effort need to harden up.

I'll bear with it for a few weeks and see if they get better :)

Otherwise it will be thicker gloves :)

• Advertisement

Great to hear you're still enjoying it!

I never have a problem with my hands (thankfully!). I use full-finger gloves with just the thumb and index finger cut off - I found with the all-short-finger gloves, they rode up on my fingers and I got rope-burned a few times.

I suspect your hands will harden to it, but maybe you also do need thicker gloves.

And buy some good handcream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Someone suggested it might be that my hands not being used to physical effort need to harden up.

I'll bear with it for a few weeks and see if they get better :)

Otherwise it will be thicker gloves :)
    Maybe head out to a farm and shovel some shíte for a week. Always hardens the crap outta my computer-softened hands! :D (After 2 days of pain first though...)
    It is hard to get decent gloves alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Maybe head out to a farm and shovel some shíte for a week. Always hardens the crap outta my computer-softened hands! :D (After 2 days of pain first though...)
    It is hard to get decent gloves alright though.

Or take up rowing for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

So, an update.

......... my right hand in particular is in bits, despite using gloves, I regularly come in and have skinned fingers/calluses on my palm.

Any suggestions to help with this?

They will harden. However, whatever you do DO NOT GET BLOOD ON THE SAILS :eek: or you will not be invited back. ;)

They will harden. However, whatever you do DO NOT GET BLOOD ON THE SAILS :eek: or you will not be invited back. ;)

No to rowing and shovelling crap on a farm, I'll give the hands a couple of weeks and see how I fare

What's this about blood on the sails? How can one do that wearing gloves?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I think you have two options one keep your hands soft and supple using hand cream something like aloe vera works well and two toughen them up. don't let your calluses get too big, if you have to file them down with a nail file or pumice stone as the bigger they get the more movement they create when working them causing them to blister also use some moistening cream to stop your hands from drying out causing then to crack.

fergal.b wrote: »
    I think you have two options one keep your hands soft and supple using hand cream something like aloe vera works well and two toughen them up. don't let your calluses get too big, if you have to file them down with a nail file or pumice stone as the bigger they get the more movement they create when working them causing them to blister also use some moistening cream to stop your hands from drying out causing then to crack.

I have cracks on one joint, and am using handcream, allergic to aloe believe it or not!

Those areas first affected are hardening up, and with handcream they are ok, so I suspect it's just hardening up, I do work in IT so have soft hands.

Still absolutely loving sailing, so much fun :) Can't believe I put it off for so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find Calendua cream very good for the blistered hands. Got mine in Holland & Barrett.
    Also don't be shy with antiseptic if burst ones look or feel infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

What's this about blood on the sails? How can one do that wearing gloves?

A bloodstain is impossible to remove from a sail. Gloves get wet, blood leaks out.
    When I was an active racer (Thursdays and Saturdays) in DL I had a lady crew who was absolutely fantastic on a spinnaker sheet, particularly in light airs. She always was aware of the slightest shift and could keep it filled when all around us had collapsed. Problem was she had soft skin & bled easily, so I confined her to the cockpit!
    You could try using a cream inside a pair of surgical gloves inside a pair of sailing gloves – herself swears by that for her gardening.

• Advertisement

A bloodstain is impossible to remove from a sail. Gloves get wet, blood leaks out.
    When I was an active racer (Thursdays and Saturdays) in DL I had a lady crew who was absolutely fantastic on a spinnaker sheet, particularly in light airs. She always was aware of the slightest shift and could keep it filled when all around us had collapsed. Problem was she had soft skin & bled easily, so I confined her to the cockpit!
    You could try using a cream inside a pair of surgical gloves inside a pair of sailing gloves – herself swears by that for her gardening.

I think I have discovered the culprit cause of my poor hands.

One: Two much sailing, I've been out up to five/six times a week the past three weeks, twice for four hours plus.

Two: Dinghy sailing, which in times of terror leads me to cling to the shrouds and using shrouds on the cruiser to get about :)

My hands are getting better and hardened

Were I to consider an interest in offshore sailing in a few months, has anyone any advice on the best route to start? I'm hoping Steve sees this :)

Advertisement