Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government to take control of 30 catholic schools

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Would like to see that list!

Like you say, they have to start somewhere. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

About time! Government been shirking far too long. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Always good to hear. The more schools that the RCC don't control the less times I have to bang my head against a wall when I hear the word 'ethos' being used as some sort of trump card in relation to discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The more the merrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Great news. I'm interested in what kind of model these schools will now be run under. Until now I've only ever heard of schools run under either a religious patronage, Educate Together or Waldorf. Will they be like VEC schools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

this is the article refered to by breaking news. Its actuaaly 30 regions not 30 schools. The majority will be in Dublin which is no surprise really other areas are Athlone, Ballinasloe, Killarney and Tramore.

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/site/content/state-signals-closure-catholic-schools

The more I think about it the more I think that it will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

The Catholic Church is not going to let go its control of the school system for, without it, the church would be gone in a generation.
    I have to fight constantly to have my kids opt out of religious instruction and then they have to sit in the classroom. And then there's a constant stream of special events, Holy Communions and Confirmations, teachers' masses and school's saints days.
    The bottom line is that Catholic religious instruction is a compulsory subject in all schools, including state schools and VECs.
    Would anybody like to join me in a complaint to the Equality Authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Banbh wrote: »
    Would anybody like to join me in a complaint to the Equality Authority?
    Nope because the schools, or at least their ethos, are exempt from the Equal Status Act 2000.

That's no reason not to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I suppose if enough of a hub-bub was raised they would have no choice but to look into why respect for a vague 'ethos' superceeds something as important as the Equal Status Act.

• Advertisement

Possibly one reason people don't like to complain is for fear it might rebound on their children. Personally, I don't mind but if anyone wants to join in a complaint, they can always use their spouse's surname - assuming it is different from that of the children.

Also, a complaint can be made in the name of a group of concerned parents - Education Equality for the Non-Religious - for example.

All it would take is a couple of us to sign a letter of complaint and ask for a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I like what you saying. You would need to get alot of support from other parents. You want us to walk the walk instead of moaning on boards :D

Advertisement