Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Group Water Schemes

• 30-07-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi, i have a query about joining a group water scheme. I am due to start building soon, my original planning was granted some time ago and the group water scheme involved at that time no longer exists, it was merged with the new group water scheme, however as part of the planning process the previous scheme did supply a letter accepting me on to there GWS. The new G.W.S now however have told me i am not part of there scheme and they will not be connecting me. The nearest connection is 300m, it's on a straight piece of road with ditch and verges each side. I don't see it being that big a job so i'm not sure why they are refusing to connect me.

Based on the Charter of Rights & Responsibilities per the National Federation of Group Water Schemes website -

2.1 - The right to be a member of a GWS is limited to those who receive their supply from that scheme through one or more connections, or who could potentially be supplied.

2.2 Group schemes may be constituted either as a trusteeship, a company, or a cooperative society. In all such cases, members of a group water scheme have a right to participate in its decision-making process at Annual General Meetings, and Special General Meetings.

2.3 In general, every premises within the area of supply of a communal piped water distribution system is entitled to a water supply, particularly as group water schemes have been supported by State funding towards their establishment and operational costs.

Now i would say i'm definitely in the area, and as it is state funding being used to subsidise these schemes, wouldn't I have a right to become a member?

I would love to bore a well but i don't have the €10k to put one in place, any one else have a similar issue or guidance on a path forward.

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This isn't a Consumer Issue, so I'm going to move this to the Construction & Planning forum (which I hope is the best place for it).

Mods - please feel free to move again, if this isn't the best spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

thanks, was using the same forum as a previous query on Group water schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I would suggest getting your solicitor involved here. I would look at this as they have already accepted you as a future connection when they took on the assets and liabilities of the previous scheme.

The cost of boring a well could be a lot less than $10K but you would have to apply for permission. You could find it anything from very easy to impossible to find water under your land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

vanman99 wrote: »
    Hi, i have a query about joining a group water scheme. I am due to start building soon, my original planning was granted some time ago and the group water scheme involved at that time no longer exists, it was merged with the new group water scheme, however as part of the planning process the previous scheme did supply a letter accepting me on to there GWS. The new G.W.S now however have told me i am not part of there scheme and they will not be connecting me. The nearest connection is 300m, it's on a straight piece of road with ditch and verges each side. I don't see it being that big a job so i'm not sure why they are refusing to connect me.

Based on the Charter of Rights & Responsibilities per the National Federation of Group Water Schemes website -

2.1 - The right to be a member of a GWS is limited to those who receive their supply from that scheme through one or more connections, or who could potentially be supplied.

2.2 Group schemes may be constituted either as a trusteeship, a company, or a cooperative society. In all such cases, members of a group water scheme have a right to participate in its decision-making process at Annual General Meetings, and Special General Meetings.

2.3 In general, every premises within the area of supply of a communal piped water distribution system is entitled to a water supply, particularly as group water schemes have been supported by State funding towards their establishment and operational costs.

Now i would say i'm definitely in the area, and as it is state funding being used to subsidise these schemes, wouldn't I have a right to become a member?

I would love to bore a well but i don't have the €10k to put one in place, any one else have a similar issue or guidance on a path forward.

Ta.

Did you pay a connection fee for the letter used previously and do you have a record of it. The new group water scheme should have a copy of it. if not your planning file will have.

There can be difficulties for schemes when houses are outside of the range of their pipes, This is actually considered outside of their area as per 2.3 above as they have to extend their pipework to reach you. 300m is a fair length of pipe, the pipe work in the area may also not have pressure to get to you which may lead to booster pumps.

Contact the federation's local officers as see if they can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Thanks db - "The cost of boring a well could be a lot less than $10K but you would have to apply for permission. You could find it anything from very easy to impossible to find water under your land."

We have had the water diviner out previously, and he did find what he stated as the best vein of water in that area in our field so i don't think we will have any issues there, although they can't tell you how deep.

As for the cost, i know a few people in recent months who have put in there own well, the boring of the well 2-3k, the pump, etc, 2-3k, well lining and decontamination, housing for the pump and the plumbing, most of them have spent in the region of between 9k and 12k, not within my budget without compromising on some other essentials.

thanks No6 -

No, no connection fee paid, the letter states we pay on connection. I know the houses near me have brought the water across fields to connect through a connection at a home house with he permission of the scheme, would be relatively the same distance and no loss of pressure or pumps needed.

I've contacted the local council rep but they have yet to reply. Think i'll look into rain water harvesting.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

If you do go for the well option the drilling company will decide where to put it based on their knowledge of the area and the location of wells and septic tanks etc on yours and adjoining sites. The cost of the lining will be included in the drilling and will depend on how deep they need to go to get a good flow.

If you are building a garage you won't need a pumphouse and you will have electricity there for the pump. You will have connection fees for the GWS along with the cost of bringing the water 300m to your site.

Boring your own well is not a cheap option and it is unfortunate that it was not included in your planning but if it is your only option, at least once it is in you can be responsible for your own supply and get whatever water softening and filtering you need and be happy with the quality of your own water. Normally if you include a well in your planning you need to bore the well first and satisfy the council that there is sufficient quantity and quality of water for the house.

Advertisement