Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rules regarding replacing like for like?

• 29-07-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi there, I own a cottage I am in the process of renovating. It's not in bad condition, but has stood empty for a few years.
    It currently has a metal cladded roof, that needs replacing.
    I was planning to reclad it the same, as I believed this wouldn't require planning.
    I got a quote last week, the builder quoting me told me I could slate the roof if I wanted with no issue over planning. This isn't my understanding, so am confused.
    Last thing I want is to slate the roof and run into problems later.
    Does anyone know the rules around renovating an existing building and what you can change/not change?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Can't really comment without seeing the situation but here's the exempted legislation http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2

does it have a waste treatment system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PG.Tips

There is no septic tank at present. I know I have to apply for planning for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

PG.Tips wrote: »
    There is no septic tank at present. I know I have to apply for planning for that.

Well you should make sure that is a runner before you progress the roof.
    If the site is too small you will have an issue

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I see what you're saying, but I can't see an issue with a tank. There's around 3.5 acres with the house, lots of options for siting a tank.

Well I've made a 'pre planning meeting' with the council, so I'll get to find out all I need.
    Not sure what to expect from such a meeting, but I guess it'll be useful and save me hassle later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nothing wrong with keeping the roof corrugated - have a look at http://corrugated.yolasite.com/

Then it would be a simple replacement like for like (and covered by Section 4(i)h of the Planning Act).

Thankyou, DOCARCH. That's really useful info.

Just make sure the builder adequately ventilates the roof space ( space between insulation and corrugate - and installs a vapour barrier on the inside/warm side of the insulation)

BryanF wrote: »
    Just make sure the builder adequately ventilates the roof space ( space between insulation and corrugate - and installs a vapour barrier on the inside/warm side of the insulation)

My builder has said if I go with the corrugate I should use 'Non Drip Cladding'.
    I was originally going to go with standard sheeting. He reckons even with the air gap eventually down the line I'll get issues with damp from condensation.
    It comes in around 700 euro more expensive than using the standard, which isn't a lot if it does a better job.

When you say 'vapour barrier' I assume you mean some sort of plastic sheeting inside the rafters. If I used insulated plaster board would you still recommend a separate vapour barrier before the board?

Vapour barrier
    vapour control layer
    vapour membrane
    plastic that stop internal vapour from passing into the roof structure and rotting it

in another way it acts as an air-tightness membrane to stop uncontrolled heated air loss

any way you look at it you need a layer/barrier/sheet inside the insulation.

I would advise against insulated Slab and go with a build up system instead.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks, Bryan.

Out of interest would you use the same technique re' dry lining walls internally? And again would you not recommend insulated slab, and if not why not?

PG.Tips wrote: »
    Ok, thanks, Bryan.

Out of interest would you use the same technique re' dry lining walls internally? And again would you not recommend insulated slab, and if not why not?

This is an old cottage? Rubble stone originally lime rendered walls?
    If you use insulated plasterboard, where will the moisture in the walls condense and potentially form mould?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93348774&postcount=2

Advertisement