Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train & Bus: to Galway - from Dublin

• 07-07-2014 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Hi y'all

I'd love information on the following:

Student return from Dublin to Galway: TRAIN,

Student return from Dublin to Galway: BUS.

The ticket is to be used on one day (i.e. travelling to Galway on a Monday) and the following day (e.g. returning to Dublin on a Tuesday)

Thanks in advance,
    p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Hi y'all

I'd love information on the following:

Student return from Dublin to Galway: TRAIN,

Student return from Dublin to Galway: BUS.

The ticket is to be used on one day (i.e. travelling to Galway on a Monday) and the following day (e.g. returning to Dublin on a Tuesday)

Thanks in advance,
    p

What exactly are you asking here?

If you mean to book a ticket for said trip, you can't book a return trip on both the train and the bus. You would have to book a single trip on both the train and the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

What exactly are you asking here?

If you mean to book a ticket for said trip, you can't book a return trip on both the train and the bus. You would have to book a single trip on both the train and the bus.

I'm asking what the same ticket (a return to Galway from Dublin) costs on both modes of transport : train and bus.

Is the bus journey longer but cheaper? Is the train more comfortable but more expensive?

Wanting to know which mode is cheaper... not to travel on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I'm asking what the same ticket (a return to Galway from Dublin) costs on both modes of transport : train and bus.

Is the bus journey longer but cheaper? Is the train more comfortable but more expensive?

Wanting to know which mode is cheaper... not to travel on both.

Should have said that first :)

The relevant transport operators will list timetables and fare information for their trips. Rail will almost certainly be handier if you are mobility impaired; chances are that the bus will be a bit cheaper.

www.irishrail.ie
    www.buseireann.ie
    www.gobus.ie

Wow, sorry.

The reason why I was looking for information here was because the Bus Eireann facility for checking fares is down today.

I know how much the train cost. Was looking for a comparison and figured I'd get the best information here.

I got that wrong. Thanks... I think.
    Should have said that first :)

The relevant transport operators will list timetables and fare information for their trips. Rail will almost certainly be handier if you are mobility impaired; chances are that the bus will be a bit cheaper.

www.irishrail.ie
    www.buseireann.ie
    www.gobus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

From memory I think the bus is about €10 each way on the day and the train is €14.99 if you book in advance. I'm sure the prices are on their website or else call them up.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million - a ballpark figure will do for now so appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I've emailed the various companies too. Thank You!
    jimmii wrote: »
    From memory I think the bus is about €10 each way on the day and the train is €14.99 if you book in advance. I'm sure the prices are on their website or else call them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Irish Rail is €23 return, all services, return leg valid for 30 days and tickets can be purchased at the station. You must of a collage ID card with you and on the machines where it asks for ID number, put in 123456.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Need to add CityLink to that list.

In general,

Bus is fast and cheap
    Train is slow and expensive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'd get the train. Citylink is €12 for a single, not sure about gobus. Bus Eireann takes WAY too long. Train is €22 return. They're all student prices.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'd get the train. Citylink is €12 for a single, not sure about gobus. Bus Eireann takes WAY too long. Train is €22 return. They're all student prices.

Thanks everyone for getting back to me.

Go Bus is by far the cheapest: e12 to Galway, e8 to Dublin - student fare. Only takes 2 hours.

I think I'll go for that, so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Polar101

Go Bus is by far the cheapest: e12 to Galway, e8 to Dublin - student fare. Only takes 2 hours.

2.5 hours, at least according to the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Polar101 wrote: »

Occasionally they're a little quicker than the timetable says, if traffic is light - eg late nights / early mornings.

Ditto occasionally it takes a little longer, eg 2:45.

Buses I've been on have been early more often than late.

Polar101 wrote: »

Sorry, yes, I meant to say 2.5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Go bus serves Dublin city centre
    You'ld have to add on journey time from heuston to the train times for a fair comparison

Advertisement