Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Bank Android App now available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Galaxy S2 here and been using this for the past few weeks with no problems. Great app, tempted to give it a rating in the market place ha.

Though I keep checking the damn thing expecting the numbers to get higher and they don't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

had been working fine the last few weeks on my gingerbread galaxy s, but flashed a custom ICS 4.0.3 today (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1398223) and it's not available to me anymore. anyone know why this happened??

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

deadduck wrote: »
    had been working fine the last few weeks on my gingerbread galaxy s, but flashed a custom ICS 4.0.3 today (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1398223) and it's not available to me anymore. anyone know why this happened??

Seems like they're only allowing this to be used on official ROMs. No custom ROMs as a security measure I'd imagine.

It was the same with their desktop website, beta versions of Firefox and Chrome weren't allowed for a while.

Can someone post the apk from their phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Not working on my Sensation with Virtuous Inquisition ICS. Bit annoying that they won't allow non-official ROMS to work with the app...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Working on mine just fine,on cyanmoidmod7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

still annoyed they havent added the option to transfer to payees! as someone said above, still only letting me transfer between my ub accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

can you view and pay your ulster bank mastercard with this?
    Does it give an available funds balance on credit card accounts? ie show if theres a transaction pending by reducing the funds available by that amount?

In short,how up to date does it update?

anyone find a way to load this onto a custom rom?? or know why it doesn't work on certain custom roms??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

working fine on Insertcoin on desire

It may be due to it registering the device, which when flashed may change its identity slightly. I remember I wasnt able to log in to the website through the browser from mobile network but wifi worked perfectly. Seemed pretty stupid to me at the time so this may be another glitch/feature in the security

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Maybe it's ICS it doesn't work on??

Scratch that, I was using Extreme Sensation ICS upto yesterday, and it didn't work on that.

Switched to Android Revolution HD yesterday, tried the install just now, and it works...

• Advertisement

It may be due to it registering the device, which when flashed may change its identity slightly. I remember I wasnt able to log in to the website through the browser from mobile network but wifi worked perfectly. Seemed pretty stupid to me at the time so this may be another glitch/feature in the security

any chance you or someone else who has it working could post the apk??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I change Roms like I do Boxers and this app only seems to run in certain ones, tis a weird one.... It's not supposed to run on rooted Roms but it does on some that I have used...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm on ARHD 6.5.0 and it's the first ARHD ROM that it's worked on. That release is based on the official release that HTC are sending out to Elevate test members which may have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There's an update in the Market for this. Just downloaded it and it now lets you make payments and transfers from your a/c once you have them set up on Anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

deadduck wrote: »

any chance you or someone else who has it working could post the apk??
    +1 could someone upload the apk and post a link? Would be much appreciated. Store saying it's not compatible with my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Had missed this completely up to now. I find it strange that when you registering they look for your entire debit card number and security code. Why not just the last 4 or 8 digits. Comes across a bit phishy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

kc66 wrote: »
    +1 could someone upload the apk and post a link? Would be much appreciated. Store saying it's not compatible with my phone.

Hope it's not against the rules. It is a free app.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3r51jq1ulube7rv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

And just in case people are nervous of downloading (especially a bank app) I directly downloaded the app from the market using a very handy extension for chrome.

Read more about it here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1515021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Not working since jellybean 4.1.1 update. Can someone confirm? No balance shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

100gSoma wrote: »
    Not working since jellybean 4.1.1 update. Can someone confirm? No balance shown.

Given the last couple weeks they've had, I'm sure the app has been the last thing on their mind.

Hope they keep it updated, I find it very useful and use it daily.

• Advertisement

Mr Keek wrote: »
    100gSoma wrote: »

Given the last couple weeks they've had, I'm sure the app has been the last thing on their mind.

Hope they keep it updated, I find it very useful and use it daily.

Yeah. I use it daily too. :(

This issue has now been escalated. Over the course of the day seevral other users have reported the same issue since updating to Jellybean 4.1.1. The NatWest and RBS apps are screwed too.
    Should be 10 working days for an update to be available.

Rang them back today. haha. Great laugh.
    No idea when the app will be fixed or updated.
    Apparently they are in a "back and forth with Samsung" and that "Google really surprised us with this, and never gave us any warning about this update". Really? Do Google usually email all app developers before an iterative android update.
    Anyway, the issue seems small, but I guess it will take months to address like every other issue in UB/RBS/NATWest.

I don't understand why I can't get this app. I was running an ICS Sense ROM on my HTC Sensation, and it worked fine. Switched to a different ROM, didn't work. Switched to Cyanogen Mod, worked fine. Switched to a different Sense ROM, didn't work. They are all ICS ROMs, what's the issue??

dulpit wrote: »
    I don't understand why I can't get this app. I was running an ICS Sense ROM on my HTC Sensation, and it worked fine. Switched to a different ROM, didn't work. Switched to Cyanogen Mod, worked fine. Switched to a different Sense ROM, didn't work. They are all ICS ROMs, what's the issue??

Looks like it was coded in a crap manner as to be so dependent on specific versions of Android. None of my other apps had any issue with different versions of android.

I guess this doesn't work in all ROMs because this is a banking app where security is most important.

I'm surprised it runs on custom ROMs at all.

Same reason their website didn't always work on beta versions of Firefox and Chrome, and why the mobile app doesn't use the normal system keyboard or Swype, it uses it's own.

seanp_25 wrote: »
    I guess this doesn't work in all ROMs because this is a banking app where security is most important.

I'm surprised it runs on custom ROMs at all.

Same reason their website didn't always work on beta versions of Firefox and Chrome, and why the mobile app doesn't use the normal system keyboard or Swype, it uses it's own.

Could someone explain to me how any custom ROM is a security risk? The user of the phone would have had to put it there in the first place... :confused:

dulpit wrote: »
    Could someone explain to me how any custom ROM is a security risk? The user of the phone would have had to put it there in the first place... :confused:

I'm not sure myself really.

Although I'd imagine it's not impossible for someone to create a custom ROM that would have some backdoor or trojan included that could send sensitive information like banking details back to the ROM author.

I'm not saying that happens, but it could be because of that possibility that Ulster Bank will only allow their app to run on trusted ROMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

seanp_25 wrote: »
    I'm not sure myself really.

Although I'd imagine it's not impossible for someone to create a custom ROM that would have some backdoor or trojan included that could send sensitive information like banking details back to the ROM author.

I'm not saying that happens, but it could be because of that possibility that Ulster Bank will only allow their app to run on trusted ROMs.

Any ROM can be rooted and someone install a dodgy root app to send any details back to the app author. It can happen on any ROM really. Most secure would be unrooted stock of course. But where's the fun in that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Can somebody send me a copy of the .apk?

Advertisement