Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it ok to feed my dog tuna?

• 03-11-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

My dog has weight to lose, so about three months ago I changed her diet to Royal Canin Light mixed with a small (50g ) tin of tuna. She really enjoys it, her coat looks great and she has lost some weight. However, I read somewhere that it can be dangerous as tuna contains high mercury levels. Does anyone know if this is true? I am giving her the tuna about five nights a week. At weekends she gets chicken breast and beef. I know that the dry food is complete and it isn't necessary to give anything else, but it seems so bland. Really just concerned over mercury in the tuna...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Sounds more like a scare story propagated by persons with an agenda tbh. My dogs and cats love tuna , my attitude is that if its safe for humans why not for pets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Only if it's ethically caught ;)

Seriously though, I heard a doctor on the radio a few months back saying that humans should eat certain fish like tuna no more than a couple of times a week because of mercury levels, so I reckon the same thing might apply to feeding it to pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Maybe some more variety would be a good idea, tuna twice a week would be fine (just make sure its not in brine - too much salt!) and maybe some chicken or other meat a few other days a week. Even a little olive oil (not vegetable) drizzled over it would make it a bit tastier. If your dog will eat without extras, it won't do her any harm to have her food plain a few days a week.

I don't know about the whole mercury problem but I know pregnant women are not supposed to eat too much tinned fish or shell fish due to mercury so erring on the side of caution is probably your best bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

i feed my cocker tuna... but only once every two weeks, as tuna does have very high levels of mercury personally 5 nights a week i feel is far too much etc.... i also feed him sardines in oil (great for thier coats).... a raw egg mixed in once per week etc...

In order for your dog to loose weight you shpould only add extras ie tuna, raw egg, sardines, all bran (for his anal glands) ... twice /three times per week.... the other days the dried food would be enough... i know you mentioned you feels its too bland but dogs have different tastes to us... honestly 4 nights of dried food would help reduce the weight and keep your dog healthy!

on the days you dont add anything extra to your dogs diet you could add a small spoon of cod liver oil... good for thier joints and coat :D

Best of luck ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd agree that you might think about varying the meaty treats a bit.
    The problem with tuna is that it's near the top of it's "food chain", and these predators tend to accumulate toxins and heavy metals that were ingested by the creatures they eat.
    The wisdom as I understand it is that you're better feeding an oily fish from the bottom of the food chain, such as sardines, as they don't have the cumulative effect of toxins that the top predators do.
    Not to say there's anything wrong with a bit of tuna now and again, just not all the time.
    Oily fish like sardines are really good for dogs, physically and mentally, and you only need to add a small bit to their food to convince them to really enjoy boring dry food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

DBB wrote: »
    I'd agree that you might think about varying the meaty treats a bit.
    The problem with tuna is that it's near the top of it's "food chain", and these predators tend to accumulate toxins and heavy metals that were ingested by the creatures they eat.
    The wisdom as I understand it is that you're better feeding an oily fish from the bottom of the food chain, such as sardines, as they don't have the cumulative effect of toxins that the top predators do.
    Not to say there's anything wrong with a bit of tuna now and again, just not all the time.
    Oily fish like sardines are really good for dogs, physically and mentally, and you only need to add a small bit to their food to convince them to really enjoy boring dry food!

I use sardines once or twice a week, the dogs LOVE sardine night!
    Also at 49c a can in Aldi I just buy a tray and they are a very cheap treat in their dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just wondering why you are adding so much to the food if you are trying to get the dog to lose weight? :confused:

If you want to give a treat once or twice a week then thats ok but i certainly wouldnt be giving it everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

I wouldn't be happy with 5 days of tuna.To much salt and yes accumulations of toxins could be an issue especially as dogs are that much smaller so have build up quicker than humans.My main issue with it is that its being added to an already complete dog food so she doesn't need it for a supplement.

Is there a reason that your adding in extras if your trying to get her to loose weight?
    It sort of defeats the purpose of feeding her a light food.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I give my 6 month old pup tuna once every week or two, she gets leftover meat and chicken and I add olive oil to her food when she gets leftover rice about twice a week, I cut back her normal feed (dry food) when I give her the extras.
    I would cut back on the tuna and control the weight by reducing her normal food intake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

tuna is perfect with dogs, my older dog whos 15 now has gotten half a can of tuna a day for about 14 years, never had a problem with it and she looks brilliant,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

risky for both man and canine given that Plutonium from Fukushima is now in the Pacific?

Just another scare story propagated by the anti-nuclear lobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Milsar88

I also feed my dog Tune and he loves it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would agree that Tuna every now and again is fine, but every day is too much. Would you eat a tin of tuna every day? More than likely not and your dog is probably 1/4 of your weight, so a tin a day would be a high concentration for them. I remember hearing a piece on Pat Kenny that while oily fish is very beneficial to humans, tuna is best in moderation due to the mercury.

I sometimes give my dog a tablespoon of cod liver oil in with her food, she loves the flavour it gives and it helps keep her coat in great condition. I think it also helps them if they have any trouble with constipation. Also a tblsp of cod liver oil every day is a lot cheaper than a tin of tuna a day.

ncmc wrote: »
    I would agree that Tuna every now and again is fine, but every day is too much. Would you eat a tin of tuna every day? More than likely not and your dog is probably 1/4 of your weight, so a tin a day would be a high concentration for them. I remember hearing a piece on Pat Kenny that while oily fish is very beneficial to humans, tuna is best in moderation due to the mercury.

I sometimes give my dog a tablespoon of cod liver oil in with her food, she loves the flavour it gives and it helps keep her coat in great condition. I think it also helps them if they have any trouble with constipation. Also a tblsp of cod liver oil every day is a lot cheaper than a tin of tuna a day.

I have eaten tuna once or twice a day since i was about 6 and im now 22. Nothing has ever happened me. the mercury level in the cans are not high enough to cause damage unless you really over consume on it.
    I agree with the table spoon of cod liver oil though, its a great supplement of fatty acids for the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Delancey wrote: »
    Just another scare story propagated by the anti-nuclear lobby.

ha ha. being black & white..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can over do fish and fish oils, just like any other food so perhaps twice a week instead perhaps makerel as a change it can be cheaper sometimes and it's not as over fished as tuna.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We add 2/3 tins of Sardines to Brodi's Royal Canin once a week, it's great for her joints and her coat. Stinks when she moves in for a kiss later on though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I have eaten tuna once or twice a day since i was about 6 and im now 22. Nothing has ever happened me. the mercury level in the cans are not high enough to cause damage unless you really over consume on it.

2 questions.
    Do you get joint/muscle pains ?
    Do you get diarrhea/constipation/ibs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

You really need to stop supplementing the dogs diet OP, you've obviously been doing it for a while and that's why it's overweight. You're the right thing with the light food now and Royal Canin is a great brand, it has everything your dog needs, there's no need to supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Stop the supplements, OP, they will only hinder your dog's weight loss. Don't worry about the food appearing 'bland'; dogs don't experience taste in as complex a way as we do. As I said to my brother who was worried about his dog not liking the dry food; he licks his arse, doesn't he? Then he can't mind the taste of the food too much. My dogs have been on dry food, with very few additions, for years and each and every day they react like they've had filet mignon put on their plates.

Your dog may stop eating for a day when you cut out the extras because he wants the nice little bits. Don't give in, a day without food won't hurt him, and he'll eat what's put in front of him from then on.

• Advertisement

2 questions.
    Do you get joint/muscle pains ?
    Do you get diarrhea/constipation/ibs ?

no none of the above

Advertisement