Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

071 an 083 are on the tara links this week.

A slate grey 071 worked a laden HOBS train north bound past Killester just after midnight. I heard an 071 make alot of racket and very little progress so I knew it wasn't the last empty tara working. I think it was either 077 or 088.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

Why does the RPSI use an 071 to lift their coaches at the end of a tour? Shouldn't they use they're own locos? 142 is plenty capable, even a rough running 171 was able lift a rake of cravens 4 years ago. [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZR4NolkbBs[/video]

Lack of qualified drivers with route knowledge perhaps. That and I don't believe 142 is in a fit state to work on the mainline. It's limited to shunting duties.

Lack of qualified drivers with route knowledge perhaps. That and I don't believe 142 is in a fit state to work on the mainline. It's limited to shunting duties.
    It was capable of mainline duties when they bought it, unless they've really neglected it that much. Also, same control layout as the 071s and 201s, they could just use an IE driver.

Thedarkb wrote: »
    It was capable of mainline duties when they bought it, unless they've really neglected it that much. Also, same control layout as the 071s and 201s, they could just use an IE driver.

There was problems while in RPSI care, they filled it with the wrong type of engine oil about 18 months or more ago. Did a nice number on the engine. Don't know if they have sorted it out properly since.

• Advertisement

There was problems while in RPSI care, they filled it with the wrong type of engine oil about 18 months or more ago. Did a nice number on the engine. Don't know if they have sorted it out properly since.
    -_-

Really? I suppose it's not as bad as how merlin and 461 ran out of coal in kilkenny on the emerald isle explorer due to them not being filled prior to departure leading to them buying coal from marble city fuels at a hugely inflated price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

While they may have similar control layouts 141s and 071s are completely different engines with very different braking and acceleration characteristics.
    At one point the incorrect oil was used (in 142) but it was caught before any damage could be done, all has since been rectified and 142 is now in regular use as the whitehead pilot.
    The others a stored pending overhauls prior to return to mainline use.

-_-

Really? I suppose it's not as bad as how merlin and 461 ran out of coal in kilkenny on the emerald isle explorer due to them not being filled prior to departure leading to them buying coal from marble city fuels at a hugely inflated price.

Given that Merlin was never supposed to go to Waterford, it would have been fueled in Kilkenny anyway.

While they may have similar control layouts 141s and 071s are completely different engines with very different braking and acceleration characteristics.
    At one point the incorrect oil was used (in 142) but it was caught before any damage could be done, all has since been rectified and 142 is now in regular use as the whitehead pilot.
    The others a stored pending overhauls prior to return to mainline use.

Given that Merlin was never supposed to go to Waterford, it would have been fueled in Kilkenny anyway.
    Doesn't change the fact that 461 ran out too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Doesn't change the fact that 461 ran out too :/

Or the fact that plans can change and it was decided to take fuel in Kilkenny instead of Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

More likely enthusiasts neglected to volunteer to work on it...

Rail enthusiast land can be a strange world, plenty out there stating what preservation groups should and shouldn't be doing, few actually bothering to help...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Shouldn't they use they're own locos? 142 is plenty capable, even a rough running 171 was able lift a rake of cravens 4 years ago. [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZR4NolkbBs[/video]

I actually recorded that video. The one I didn't upload of that day was of 171 stalling as it tried to lift the consist through Pearse. It was well knackered and that transfer was probably it's last foray onto the mainline.

I actually recorded that video. The one I didn't upload of that day was of 171 stalling as it tried to lift the consist through Pearse. It was well knackered and that transfer was probably it's last foray onto the mainline.
    171 was down a motor at the time, it's not surprising it failed.

Looks like 083 has failed. It was on the evening empty tara on Monday but it was outside Connolly shed yesterday evening and still there this morning with it's wheels chocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SteamVolunteer

Can I just point out here that Merlin and 461 did not run out of coal in Kilkenny.

It was always planned to take coal in Kilkenny but a mix up with the delivery, not the RPSI fault, meant a new batch of coal had to be sourced from a local supplier.

461 did not run out of coal; don't know where you got that from as I was up on the tender myself with another volunteer raking the coal forward in Kilkenny.

As for the diesel locos currently in Inchicore, there is a serious lack of volunteers. If you want to see those locos running again, you need to get involved. At present, there is no one to work on them and as we are mainly a 'Steam' preservation society the steam locos and carriages take priority.

As for the diesel locos currently in Inchicore, there is a serious lack of volunteers. If you want to see those locos running again, you need to get involved. At present, there is no one to work on them and as we are mainly a 'Steam' preservation society the steam locos and carriages take priority.

This RPSI stuff should go in a different thread, however.

If one were to volunteer with the RPSI, seeing as steam takes priority I assume you will be asked to work on the steam locos and not the GMs. I doubt you can just walk up and say I want to work on the GM locos and that's that.

141 and 142 have not been out and about for 5 years now. Another tour with then double heading again would be great, even just for the sound alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SteamVolunteer

I do agree with the idea of another double headed tour and I would love to see a 121 going mainline again.

Its just not as easy as it sounds there is so much paperwork involved in any venture these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

This RPSI stuff should go in a different thread, however.

If one were to volunteer with the RPSI, seeing as steam takes priority I assume you will be asked to work on the steam locos and not the GMs. I doubt you can just walk up and say I want to work on the GM locos and that's that.

141 and 142 have not been out and about for 5 years now. Another tour with then double heading again would be great, even just for the sound alone.

While steam haulage remains the priority of the RPSI there has been a diesel project team in the RPSI for a good 5 years now; if you get RSPI membership news bulletins then you may well been aware of them already.

If you volunteer your services they will ask you what would you want to do most, what talents or strengths you have to offer and go through what there is to do. It is a fine balancing act between all three but needs and wants are never the same, are they? Should you be be more into diesel engines then you can ask to concentrate on the diesel end of things.

Alternatively you could join the ITG or Downpatrick, both of whom are hands on with diesel engines. Both will still want to know what you can offer them as well; it's not as easy as arriving in and stripping out the bogies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Even though it was fit when purchased dosnt mean it still is even if there is no neglect or deterioration, the loco would require various tests and exams each year as well as insurance to run under the mainline, lack of these alone will make it 'unfit' for the mainline, it's only limited to shunting as it is not permitted on the mainline due to the above, and yes although cab layout is similar to the 071s drivers were required to learn and sign the 141/181s seperately and there are no IE or NIR drivers who sign them anymore.

But the biggest obstacle with 141 and 142 (141 especially) is the lack of volunteers to keep them in check, I'm surprised that 141 was not covered over or sent with 142 to Whitehead but that's neither here nor there now.

If I remember correctly IE told the RPSI they were sending 142 to whitehead to the surprise of the RPSI-but I'm sure there were reasons and at least one of them is working now!

GM228

GM228 wrote: »
    , I'm surprised that 141 was not covered over or sent with 142 to Whitehead but that's neither here nor there now.

GM228

I didn't know 141 was left in the open at Inchicore, I can only imaging how bad it looks now after 5 years open to the elements. The orange 201s stored there are almost pink at this stage.

I didn't know 141 was left in the open at Inchicore, I can only imaging how bad it looks now after 5 years open to the elements. The orange 201s stored there are almost pink at this stage.

Yea it is in the open along with IEs own 141s all these years and not in great condition, although it could be worse.

GM288

• Advertisement

With talk of plans to getting 134, 141 and 175 into Connolly shed before the end of the year, the sooner that happens the better.

With talk of plans to getting 134, 141 and 175 into Connolly shed before the end of the year, the sooner that happens the better.

And also some of the worse off heritage coaches aswell!

GM228

20333377724_212d3ca422.jpg#072 hauling the empty timber. by thedarkb123, on Flickr
    072 appears to be in appalling condition lately, with all the filler around the windows and plates over the rust holes, when is it due in for overhaul?

072 has been going around like that for a number of years now with the rust problems around the cab. It's suffering more than most 071s, 080 was in a similar condition when they brought it in.

077 that was only overhauled 2 years ago is showing signs of rust problems starting around it's cab already with paint flaking off. Not a good sign at all.

072 has been going around like that for a number of years now with the rust problems around the cab. It's suffering more than most 071s, 080 was in a similar condition when they brought it in.

077 that was only overhauled 2 years ago is showing signs of rust problems starting around it's cab already with paint flaking off. Not a good sign at all.
    rebuild the cabs? it was done on some 141s I believe. 072 seemed to be running very rough, it failed a few weeks back I think. I'd say it must be due in by now.

All of the slate grey 071s have had their cabs rebuilt with extra sound proofing, insulation added, improved anti vibration features and all body work panels replaced.

081 was the first 071 overhauled in 2006 in the black and silver livery, that has yet to go in too. 074 and 075 seem to be in the best condition externally at least of the ones yet to go in.

086 LE in Ballina. 088 on the timber there too.

080, the latest 071 to be overhauled.

080%20Overhaul.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

077 arrived in Kildare at 1500 today with a laden timber
    then swapped with 072 which arrived from Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

087 working the Galway-Westport leg (empty) of the Emerald Isle Express at Newtown between Ballinasloe & Athlone 02-Oct-15.

Advertisement