Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Éireann and student ID

• 14-07-2014 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Just coming home on the 109a from airport towards Navan and after being refused student rate as my college is linked with Middlesex university in England. My I.D is in date and I'm in PCI college in Burgh Quay, city Centre Dublin and it just so happens the college is linked with Middlesex.... Bus driver said "we're in Ireland pal we don't accept them cards" even after I stated it was an association college but he was having none of it! Very little difference in bus price from Adult single and student but it's the drivers attitude that annoyed me. Do you think I should do anything in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sovereign121

No. Suck it up and pay the fare cheapskate. Get a proper student ID card from CIE and then get your discount. Students are assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

No. Suck it up and pay the fare cheapskate. Get a proper student ID card from CIE and then get your discount. Students are assholes.

Did you even read my post? I'm in no way a cheap skate, it was the face that 2 of my mates were with me with student cards from other colleges in the city and got the rate grand and I didnt because of the association with a non Irish college. Does it really matter? The price difference was absolutely no bother to me I just felt the drivers attitude was bad that's all.

Yeah all students are arseholes. You're some muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Students are assholes.
    rizzee wrote: »
    You're some muppet.
    No need for comments like this.

I didnt because of the association with a non Irish college.
    There are rules you need to follow. Follow them and you can have the reduced fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is a list of college IDs that are accepted on the Bus Eireann website:
    http://buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=272

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Didn't realise that. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just coming home on the 109a from airport towards Navan and after being refused student rate as my college is linked with Middlesex university in England. My I.D is in date and I'm in PCI college in Burgh Quay, city Centre Dublin and it just so happens the college is linked with Middlesex.... Bus driver said "we're in Ireland pal we don't accept them cards" even after I stated it was an association college but he was having none of it! Very little difference in bus price from Adult single and student but it's the drivers attitude that annoyed me. Do you think I should do anything in this case?

The essence of the issue is your lack of familiarity with the Student ID issue,one which has generated a substantial body of posts on here and elsewhere.

However,since Student Rates are a CONCESSION and Bus Eireann DO publish a list of the ID's THEY accept,it is totally your responsibility to ensure you have the relevant ID card.

Full marks to the Busdriver "for having none of it",as it displays some level of understanding of his job.

I rather suspect that there are very few positive ways of imparting negative news of this nature,particularly when 2 of your accompanying "mates" were able to benefit from the Concession,something which may have generated a bit of comment ?

That said,IF you feel this Busdriver failed to show due deference to you,or was abusive to you,then most certainly contact Bus Eireann with the Facts of the matter and seek a response.

Attitudes are indeed funny things,as they can mean vastly different things to different people depending upon the circumstances of the occurence ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement