Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€200 Netbook

Options
  • 10-08-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

http://www.currys.ie/Product/ASUS-R101DBLK030S-Netbook-Black/309208/149

Just came across this on the Currys site €200 for a netbook with web cam.

The Asus R101D-BLK030S Netbook comes equipped with an energy saving Intel® Atom™ processor N455 and runs the Microsoft Genuine Windows® 7 Starter operating system. A sizeable 250GB hard drive provides ample on-the-move storage space, whilst 1GB of RAM provides enough impetus to run everyday applications smoothly.

Stylish with its black enclosure and built around a vivid 10.1" LED backlit LCD display, the Asus R101D-BLK030S Netbook is an easily portable computer that weighs just 1.4kg. Its 3-cell battery allows for a battery life of up to 4.5 hours, thus allowing you useful periods of untethered use whilst travelling.

Connectivity in the Asus R101D-BLK030S Netbook also impresses, with built-in Wireless-N technology for easy connection to the internet at available WiFi hotspots, Fast Ethernet, two USB 2.0 ports, a built in SD card reader, and a VGA port for hooking up to an external monitor. You'll even to be able to enjoy video chat with friends and family via the built-in webcam and microphone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

nice laptop but your paying about 50 euros for window , which i would format off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

bpb101 wrote: »
    nice laptop but your paying about 50 euros for window , which i would format off

So you know somewhere selling it without windows for €50 less or even a similarly specced good brand netbook running linux for €150? We're all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

no but , laptops with linux are often cheaper of better than there window counterparts

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

no but , laptops with linux are often cheaper of better than there window counterparts

I'd welcome any sightings of one of these appearing in Bargain Alerts. I'd seen some on one .cz laptop site years ago, and not one since. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Not in this case. Thanks nonetheless, but some of us would rather have an OS that isn't flatpacked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Currys also sell the Aspire One 522, which has the C-50 Dual Core and HD6250 which decodes full 1080P video for 199. Bought one, couldn't be happier with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

We're sorry but that product is no longer available

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Currys also sell the Aspire One 522, which has the C-50 Dual Core and HD6250 which decodes full 1080P video for 199. Bought one, couldn't be happier with it.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-One-522-101andquot-Netbook-Olive/309563/149

€280 is a far cry from €200 ..... :(

Win7 Starter! no thanks .... it needs a real operating system ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

http://www.currys.ie/Product/ACER-Aspire-One-522-101andquot-Netbook-Olive/309563/149

Win 7 starter is grand for what the computer is. Running starter on D255, similar enough spec and smooth as any computer i have had, very quick boot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

If you don't want Windows 7 starter then you are going to have to get something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Ideapad-Notebook-Windows-Premium/dp/B004TQQCAS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1313155638&sr=1-1

Nearly every netbook has starter on it which I can't stand

I go to clearance section of www.saveonlaptops.co.uk and they have some netbooks with XP on them (not the atom 270 or 280 proc though)

Usually just a little under or over 200 euros delivered to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 flaviu

Acer and Lenovo? seriously? Asus is a solid brand, top dog for motherboards.
    A friend of mine who repaired laptops told me he found some Acer models that had plastic adhesive tape as part of the manufacturing. Maybe not the Acer One, but what does that say about the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm typing on this Core2duo acer thats almost two years old. Never had a problem hardware wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

No available now

• Registered Users Posts: 21 flaviu

BX 19 wrote: »
    I'm typing on this Core2duo acer thats almost two years old. Never had a problem hardware wise.

Usually i've seen very long load times, and overheating problems, but just like any other company they have a cheaper and a higher range of products. Apparently, you must have made the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

flaviu wrote: »
    A friend of mine who repaired laptops told me he found some Acer models that had plastic adhesive tape as part of the manufacturing. Maybe not the Acer One, but what does that say about the company?

Asus are a good brand and are proven to be very reliable - anecdotal evidence aside.

Lenovo are a steaming pile of sh!te though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Vertakill wrote: »
    Asus are a good brand and are proven to be very reliable - anecdotal evidence aside.

Lenovo are a steaming pile of sh!te though.

Very much depends on the model.

Lenovo would have been considered to be one of the only truly reliable and high quality brands up until recently. They have in the past been mainly a manufacturer for businesses, but now they're making a lot of consumer grade goods and although I wouldn't refer to any manufacturer as creating "steaming piles of sh!te", I can understand where that comment may be coming from xD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Effluo wrote: »
    Very much depends on the model.

Lenovo would have been considered to be one of the only truly reliable and high quality brands up until recently. They have in the past been mainly a manufacturer for businesses, but now they're making a lot of consumer grade goods and although I wouldn't refer to any manufacturer as creating "steaming piles of sh!te", I can understand where that comment may be coming from xD

True true. :)
    My opinion is slightly biased seeing as I work in an IT department of a large company that solely uses the most current Lenovo equipment...

Out of about 800 T410 thinkpads/thinkcentres (not sure of model of the thinkcentres - woops!), a good 10% of them have had a large variety of different problems.

Out of about 300 docking stations, about 30% of them have had to be returned and replaced. Worst design docking stations I've ever seen.

That's an alarmingly high number on both counts in my opinion.

I'm using quite a good 22" widescreen ThinkVision at the moment and I genuinely like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

30% is a lot

:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's strange. Was 199, I got it in-store for 199 also. Win7 Starter is, in fairness, fine for most uses, the features it lacks aren't something most casual users would miss. Except the bizarre inability to change background image, though that's easily fixed. A lot of netbooks are coming now with Win7 Starter...personally I plan to install XP on it shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

so what are you going to get with a full version of 7 that you won't get with starter ??? and how will it affect your using the netbook..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    so what are you going to get with a full version of 7 that you won't get with starter ??? and how will it affect your using the netbook..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

flaviu wrote: »

Do you have any other suggestions how to do cable management/air flow design in a small space envelope with enormous cost and weight restrictions?

Seriously. What's the problem with using adhesive tape?

Thanks for this link. I did not know there was a 32 bit-only version of Windows 7. Funny how I've never noticed that in adverts for netbooks. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

lots of things there alright - but a netbook is suitable for browsing the web and that's about all.. maybe play a few songs on itunes....

none of that stuff is going to be needed for the average user.. and if you did need half of that stuff surely you'd be considering a laptop rather than a netbook...
    a5y wrote: »
    Thanks for this link. I did not know there was a 32 bit-only version of Windows 7. Funny how I've never noticed that in adverts for netbooks. :mad:

64 bit isn't needed unless you have over 4gb RAM - and the last notebook with more than 2gb that I've seen was................

end of the day if you want an OS packed full of features your going to have to look at Linux... a student version of Windows costs 25% of the cost of this laptop like...

there's cost/performance that you need to look at and for €200 you have a grand OS for the typical netbook user....

if you want windows Ultimate well it's going to be a bit of overkill on a netbook isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

It is gone from the web site but they have one on display for €200 in the Sligo pc world store.

Looks nice and very thin and light. Would be a cheap machine for web browsing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

dingding wrote: »
    It is gone from the web site but they have one on display for €200 in the Sligo pc world store.

Looks nice and very thin and light. Would be a cheap machine for web browsing.
    It comes off the website when it goes into clearance and we move the stock out to make way for new range. Supply in stores gets very sporadic at that point and we prefer to take it off the web rather than have people research online, go into store and then it's not there.

There are over 20 brand new boxed units in Jervis, for example, so it's still available "while stocks last". We won't be getting any fresh stock once what we have is gone

Advertisement