Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you go anywhere from infrantry in British army

• 06-03-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Does anyone know how long the whole process can take from meeting with the ACA in northern Ireland to actually starting the inital training in the UK?

Also Can you get into any combat role from infrantry? Or after your training you have to select what role you want? IE:Infrantry, papatrooper, groundscrew in army airforce?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

feeney92 wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to ask the recruiter, they can be found here, http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20068.aspx

You would have to get into contact with the man in charge of recruiting from the Republic Of Ireland, hes a retired Colnel, he'll definatly help you along your way. If you cant find his email message me and I will send you it ( Dont want to name people or advertise it on here )

I know you can email 3 out of the 4 offices in the north alright but I couldn't see anything about an office(r) specifically recruiting from the republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I know you can email 3 out of the 4 offices in the north alright but I couldn't see anything about an office(r) specifically recruiting from the republic?

The gent in question deals with officer recruitment from the entire Island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Does anyone know how long the whole process can take from meeting with the ACA in northern Ireland to actually starting the inital training in the UK?

Also Can you get into any combat role from infrantry? Or after your training you have to select what role you want? IE:Infrantry, papatrooper, groundscrew in army airforce?

The first thing you are going to have to learn is the correct terminology.

The Infantry are the mechansied foot-soldiers, and their role IS combat. Paratroopers are actually infantry who go to work by jumping out of an aeroplane.

You, being a civilian, or 'mong' as we call you who are not yet soldiers, are not yet in a position to call ANY member of the Armed Forces a 'groundscrew', so by all means go to see the ACA and use that terminology if you are certain that you want to stay as a civilian. We don't take kindly to having the words we use to talk about each other bandied about by somebody who has not yet 'got off the bus...'

It might be a plan to learn a bit about the Army, too, so that you don't look a total mong when asked questions about it. For instance, there is no such thing as 'army airforce' - the British Army has Army Aviation. And a CORPORAL in the British Army Air Corps has served a number of years and passed many courses to be called that.

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    The first thing you are going to have to learn is the correct terminology.

The Infantry are the mechansied foot-soldiers, and their role IS combat. Paratroopers are actually infantry who go to work by jumping out of an aeroplane.

You, being a civilian, or 'mong' as we call you who are not yet soldiers, are not yet in a position to call ANY member of the Armed Forces a 'groundscrew', so by all means go to see the ACA and use that terminology if you are certain that you want to stay as a civilian. We don't take kindly to having the words we use to talk about each other bandied about by somebody who has not yet 'got off the bus...'

It might be a plan to learn a bit about the Army, too, so that you don't look a total mong when asked questions about it. For instance, there is no such thing as 'army airforce' - the British Army has Army Aviation. And a CORPORAL in the British Army Air Corps has served a number of years and passed many courses to be called that.

tac

Apologies if I have offended you as it seems I have by the way you are talking. I know about the army I am not a total novice as I was in the reserve here for years. I have been going throught the British Army website almost through everypage and I understand a Corporal goes through years of training. I mis spelled groundscrew as I realised the correct term is groundcrew so s. The same with Army Airforce. I meant Army Aircorp.

I also do realise the difference between the Infantry and the Paratroopers. I understand the Royal Irish are also part of the 16 Air assualt who too might get to jump out of a plane to go to work sometimes? Tell me can an Royal Irish Solider do the parachute course and get the badge or is that the same as the Paratroopers training wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...Tell me can an Royal Irish Solider do the parachute course and get the badge or is that the same as the Paratroopers training wise?

some have, but its no longer 'de rigeour' as it was looking like becoming when 1RI first went to 16X - issues have been that 1RI doesn't recruit to the same standard as PARA, there were never going to be enough places on the basic parachute course to accomodate them all, and the concept of operations for 16X just doesn't need it.

if infantry is your thing then personally i'd suggest the Royal Marines or the Rifles - Rifles for the quality of the Bn's and the variety of Infantry roles they undertak - Mech Inf, Light Inf, Commando roled etc..., RM for the quality and the amazing list of roles you can undertake within 3CdoX with an inf background.

if it were me, it would be RM.

in the BA you apply for specific jobs when you apply to join the Army - so when you attest you know you're going to be an Avionics Tech, or Inf, or Driver, Gunner etc... you get a chance to re-trade in Phase 1 if you think its not going to be the right job for you - and assuming that there's a space and the trade will accept you then you'll be ok.

the BA has several hundred specific jobs - please, please have a good look through them and think about what is, and what isn't for you. the world is an awful lot bigger than the Royal Irish...

OS119 wrote: »
    some have, but its no longer 'de rigeour' as it was looking like becoming when 1RI first went to 16X - issues have been that 1RI doesn't recruit to the same standard as PARA, there were never going to be enough places on the basic parachute course to accomodate them all, and the concept of operations for 16X just doesn't need it.

if infantry is your thing then personally i'd suggest the Royal Marines or the Rifles - Rifles for the quality of the Bn's and the variety of Infantry roles they undertak - Mech Inf, Light Inf, Commando roled etc..., RM for the quality and the amazing list of roles you can undertake within 3CdoX with an inf background.

if it were me, it would be RM.

in the BA you apply for specific jobs when you apply to join the Army - so when you attest you know you're going to be an Avionics Tech, or Inf, or Driver, Gunner etc... you get a chance to re-trade in Phase 1 if you think its not going to be the right job for you - and assuming that there's a space and the trade will accept you then you'll be ok.

the BA has several hundred specific jobs - please, please have a good look through them and think about what is, and what isn't for you. the world is an awful lot bigger than the Royal Irish...

Yeah I looked through the jobs. I didn't realise there was so many of them. I don't have a good leaving cert or college under my belt so im limited to infantry bascially. The Rifles does look good alright but something is pulling me towards the Royal Irish. If I was to go for ground crew in the Army Aircorps would you get to see action or do you think you would just be stuck as base all the time dealing with aircraft? I don't want light infantry. I would like to get more driving licence's and something to do with parachuting.I do love aircraft but I think id love to be on the frontline not sitting back and waiting if you get me. Thats one thing about me give me too much choice and im fcuked if I can make up my mind. not a good trate to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Yeah I looked through the jobs. I didn't realise there was so many of them. I don't have a good leaving cert or college under my belt so im limited to infantry bascially...

no you aren't. lots of jobs - the vast majority of them are dependant on your BARB score and aptitude. don't think that because you haven't got X or Y qualification you are consigned to being a 'grunt'.

if you decided to be an AAC soldier you'd mainly be based where the aircraft are based, you'd be loading the aircraft, refuelling, re-arming it, marshalling it etc.. but you could go for crewman, which means you'd be flying in the aircraft, or if you wanted a tech trade within aviation you could go for REME Avionics Tech: you be very much a 'base' person, but the training is very good, as is the pay, and promotion to L/Cpl is automatic.

don't get hung up on 'getting onto the frontline' - firstly because if you were to start your application now you'd be unlikely to get to a unit before the pullout of UK combat troops in Afghanistan, and secondly because the kind of wars the BA finds itself in these days mean that pretty much everyone, regardless of trade, is to some degree or other 'on the frontline' - for instance, at your average Coy sized PB in Helmand you'll find Engineers, Int Corps Linguists, Signallers, Gunners, Medics, REME, RLC loggies and ATO's as well as the infantry, and none of them will be sitting around waiting for the infantry to finish the job before they start theirs.

i would always recommend going into a Corps role with a trade that you are interested in, and that gives you options when you leave - i'm afraid the world is littered with unemployed ex-Squaddies who's CV contains nothing that an employer thinks he can use. the guy who gets good work is the guy who can say that he designed, installed and maintained a water and sewerage system for 200 blokes in a desert while people shot at him with the only spares being a hammer and gaffer tape, not the guy who says 'i can get 6 mortar rounds in the air before the first one lands'.

• Advertisement

OS119 wrote: »
    no you aren't. lots of jobs - the vast majority of them are dependant on your BARB score and aptitude. don't think that because you haven't got X or Y qualification you are consigned to being a 'grunt'.

if you decided to be an AAC soldier you'd mainly be based where the aircraft are based, you'd be loading the aircraft, refuelling, re-arming it, marshalling it etc.. but you could go for crewman, which means you'd be flying in the aircraft, or if you wanted a tech trade within aviation you could go for REME Avionics Tech: you be very much a 'base' person, but the training is very good, as is the pay, and promotion to L/Cpl is automatic.

don't get hung up on 'getting onto the frontline' - firstly because if you were to start your application now you'd be unlikely to get to a unit before the pullout of UK combat troops in Afghanistan, and secondly because the kind of wars the BA finds itself in these days mean that pretty much everyone, regardless of trade, is to some degree or other 'on the frontline' - for instance, at your average Coy sized PB in Helmand you'll find Engineers, Int Corps Linguists, Signallers, Gunners, Medics, REME, RLC loggies and ATO's as well as the infantry, and none of them will be sitting around waiting for the infantry to finish the job before they start theirs.

i would always recommend going into a Corps role with a trade that you are interested in, and that gives you options when you leave - i'm afraid the world is littered with unemployed ex-Squaddies who's CV contains nothing that an employer thinks he can use. the guy who gets good work is the guy who can say that he designed, installed and maintained a water and sewerage system for 200 blokes in a desert while people shot at him with the only spares being a hammer and gaffer tape, not the guy who says 'i can get 6 mortar rounds in the air before the first one lands'.

Id be very interested in avionics tech alright. I applied to be an apprentice in that before with luftansa and but no joy with that. I looked at it on the site but it said you needed the grades for it. Is it different once your in there? I understand what your saying about having the trade for when you finish up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

@Gingernuts31 - you bigged up and apologised, that was not only a good thing to do, but has raised you out of the mud AFAIAC. Good for you - it's appreciated.

OS119 has offered you better advice than I can, as my information is now way out of date, so read his words carefully. Don't forget the the Royal Marines are NOT Army, but are part of the Royal Navy, and in spite of the ground roles they are expected to perform as part of a battle group they will, some time, be at sea and away from home for fairly long periods.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    @Gingernuts31 - you bigged up and apologised, that was not only a good thing to do, but has raised you out of the mud AFAIAC. Good for you - it's appreciated.

OS119 has offered you better advice than I can, as my information is now way out of date, so read his words carefully. Don't forget the the Royal Marines are NOT Army, but are part of the Royal Navy, and in spite of the ground roles they are expected to perform as part of a battle group they will, some time, be at sea and away from home for fairly long periods.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

tac

Thanks Tac, I don't think the Royal Marines are for me anyway. If I could get into the AirCorps as Avionics Tech id be very happy. Have a big interest in aircraft but I also like mechanics so would be great for me in there and also when I finish up although once im in I plan on doing my full term unless something stops me from doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tom Plunkett

Thanks Tac, I don't think the Royal Marines are for me anyway. If I could get into the AirCorps as Avionics Tech id be very happy. Have a big interest in aircraft but I also like mechanics so would be great for me in there and also when I finish up although once im in I plan on doing my full term unless something stops me from doing it.

If you want to be an Avionics Tech then you'll end up in the REME, not the AAC.Once trained though, you'll be posted to an AAC Squadron or a Workshop supporting them. Having read your posts I'd recommend that you simply keep an open mind and start the application process, as you progress through you'll become more informed as to you options and be able in the end to make an informed choice as to your chosen trade or role. For the moment though just take the broad view and be open to informed advice from the Army careers advisers. If you have a particularl skill or ability they will want to take advantage of it for both yours and the Army's sake. I know, I was one for two and a half years!

Chill out and start the process!

If you want to be an Avionics Tech then you'll end up in the REME, not the AAC.Once trained though, you'll be posted to an AAC Squadron or a Workshop supporting them. Having read your posts I'd recommend that you simply keep an open mind and start the application process, as you progress through you'll become more informed as to you options and be able in the end to make an informed choice as to your chosen trade or role. For the moment though just take the broad view and be open to informed advice from the Army careers advisers. If you have a particularl skill or ability they will want to take advantage of it for both yours and the Army's sake. I know, I was one for two and a half years!

Chill out and start the process!

Thanks tom, I am thinking too much on what I want to do. See my mindset is I want to be on the frontline (as in shooting) not frontline stuck at base repairing but at the same time I want a trade. I am dwelling on it too much I know but il send off the application and see what they say. Tom for the fitness test are the same amount of push ups and sit up required for both solider and officer fitness test at fitness test for entry? I see it says 50 push-ups and 50 sit-ups in 2 mins each. I'm not unfit but I can only get 30 at a really big push and I cycle alot too but I can't really run for sh!t but I can build that up. Im worried about the push and sit ups tho. Do they make you go right down to the ground for push ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You can build up press-ups relatively quickly. It doesn't take long to do a set of them so you can fit in dozens of sets a day. Do thirty twice in the morning, with sit-ups after each set. Throughout the day, do another thirty whenever you get a chance. Put food in the oven/microwave? Do a set or two of press-ups. After a week, make your sets thirty-five press-ups and you won't notice the difference. After a while, you'll be able to do fifty no bother, and it won't take you two minutes either. Make sure your run times are good too. Burst yourself where necessary. No marks for not going 100% flat out.

You can build up press-ups relatively quickly. It doesn't take long to do a set of them so you can fit in dozens of sets a day. Do thirty twice in the morning, with sit-ups after each set. Throughout the day, do another thirty whenever you get a chance. Put food in the oven/microwave? Do a set or two of press-ups. After a week, make your sets thirty-five press-ups and you won't notice the difference. After a while, you'll be able to do fifty no bother, and it won't take you two minutes either. Make sure your run times are good too. Burst yourself where necessary. No marks for not going 100% flat out.

Ok great thanks. Every 2nd day to give my body chance to recover? Do press ups need to go down to the floor? Saw on the army training video the guy was only doing half preh ups not even going near the floor but was doing it like he had a sh!t load of pent up energy to release :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You shouldn't need days off to recover from press-ups. They're not that exhausting. Regularity also builds endurance, so if you absolutely have to do less, in order to do it more often, do so, but realistically, do as much as you can, as often as you can.

In terms of depth, your elbows will need to go down to 90 degrees anyway (Don't think it'll count as a press-up if they don't do that). Going to the floor will make you use more of your back and chest in order to return to full height in order to get past that 90 degree mark, but If you can consistently go from full extension to 90 degrees with perfect form, that'll be solid. I'll leave any definite requirements to others, but that'd be my training, and for what it's worth, form counts. If you can do thirty, but only the first twenty are perfect, I'd set twenty as my start point for improvement and build from there. If it's not right, it doesn't count.

You shouldn't need days off to recover from press-ups. They're not that exhausting. Regularity also builds endurance, so if you absolutely have to do less, in order to do it more often, do so, but realistically, do as much as you can, as often as you can.

In terms of depth, your elbows will need to go down to 90 degrees anyway (Don't think it'll count as a press-up if they don't do that). Going to the floor will make you use more of your back and chest in order to return to full height in order to get past that 90 degree mark, but If you can consistently go from full extension to 90 degrees with perfect form, that'll be solid. I'll leave any definite requirements to others, but that'd be my training, and for what it's worth, form counts. If you can do thirty, but only the first twenty are perfect, I'd set twenty as my start point for improvement and build from there. If it's not right, it doesn't count.

Just done 20 press ups and il do more again in a bit as you said doing it regularly builds endurance. I used to be really good at the gym but haven't been to gym in years and am older now. Regard's sit-ups :(. I did some on tuesday morning and was grand, got 25 I think. Then did more later on in the day but I must have pushed myself too far. I have a pain in my lower abs just about where my pelvis is. I tried to do sit-ups there now and I couldn't even get my back off the ground without it hurting. Any ideas? Short term, long term?

Advertisement