Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Reserves

Options
  • 19-02-2012 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to join the reserves in Dublin.

How do i go about doing this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Thanks.

Pick a unit, turn up on their parade night (bring passport photos, PPSN, birth cert etc.), get on the waiting list.

More information here: http://www.military.ie/reserve/organisation/army-reserve/

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Here's a full list of reserve battalions/companies around the country - http://www.researchreadinglog.com/reserve/tableView.asp?All

You'll also find some useful info here on the kind of training carried out by the RDF - http://www.1bderdf.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 29 62 Reserve Battalion

Hey Guys,

Thanks.
    Do your research. Find out what unit is doing what you want to do. Make sure they are active and a good unit to join (Join the wrong unit and you will be wasting your time).
    Are you interested in Infantry? Medics? Air Defence etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I had perused the defence forces website but couldn't find much on actually joining the reserves.

Thank you all very much for the feedback :)

Oh and from what i've read, i'd be mainly be interested in the Infantry.

Oh and from what i've read, i'd be mainly be interested in the Infantry.
    Northside is 65Bn, Southside is 62Bn.

To answer your original question, figure out what unit you want to join, find out when they parade and show up.

Then it is as Maoltuile said -
    Maoltuile wrote: »
    Pick a unit, turn up on their parade night (bring passport photos, PPSN, birth cert etc.), get on the waiting list.

Prob isn't getting onto the waiting list, it is getting onto the waiting list of a good unit with a short waiting list.

• Advertisement

Prob isn't getting onto the waiting list, it is getting onto the waiting list of a good unit with a short waiting list.

Yes, that's a very good point. In which case, let me say that I know of at least one Northside Corps unit that has only a handful on the waiting list ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

If its Inf. you are looking for have a look at the 65bn. Theres enough members of both Bns to advise you on where to go depending on where you live!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Turbine wrote: »
    Here's a full list of reserve battalions/companies around the country - http://www.researchreadinglog.com/reserve/tableView.asp?All

You'll also find some useful info here on the kind of training carried out by the RDF - http://www.1bderdf.com/

CONTACT THE UNITS before turning up to training nights. The times and days of when they train are not all correct on that site. These times and dates can change year to year in different units. Other than that, that site that Turbine posted is great for info on units. There's only 400 RDF recruits being taken this year so don't be disappointed if you don't get in this year, because there's a huge chance of that, depending on which unit you go to. Just make sure you show interest. Don't just leave your name with them and hope for the best. Best of luck and I hope you get it. Its a great organization to be part of. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yes, that's a very good point. In which case, let me say that I know of at least one Northside Corps unit that has only a handful on the waiting list ;)

Any hints? :P

I'm based in Drumcondra on the northside of Dublin.

Any hints? :P

PM inbound.

• Advertisement

North Side? - Stick to 65Bn, preferably in McKee Barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

62 Reserve Engineer Company,
    Currently studying engineering in DIT, would like to try join these guys, it would be local and I am sure I would enjoy it.
    Any info on this company, I am thinking I giving them a ring to find out more myself anyways!

shanered wrote: »
    62 Reserve Engineer Company,
    Currently studying engineering in DIT, would like to try join these guys, it would be local and I am sure I would enjoy it.
    Any info on this company, I am thinking I giving them a ring to find out more myself anyways!

Have a look at http://62engineers.com

There's contact details given on that site so you could try ring ahead and ask what the recruitment situation is. Or if you don't get through, just show up on training night and say to whoevers at the gate that you're interested in joining 62 reserve engineer co, and they'll help you out.

If you've no luck with engineers, try 62 artillery as I heard they were taking on some recruits atm. They're based out in McKee barracks as well and train every second Tuesday. Their next training night is this Tuesday, so if you go down around 7.30pm, and again just say you're interested in joining reserve artillery, they'll confirm whether or not they're still taking on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 HT2007

Next big cut by goverment ... Bye bye reserves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

HT2007 wrote: »

Excellent input there lad! Although I don't think it helps the OP with his question though :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

HT2007 wrote: »

If you knew anything at all about reserves you'd know that the budget for RDF is so miniscule as to be as far from a big cut as your head is from Uranus.

Have a look at http://62engineers.com

There's contact details given on that site so you could try ring ahead and ask what the recruitment situation is. Or if you don't get through, just show up on training night and say to whoevers at the gate that you're interested in joining 62 reserve engineer co, and they'll help you out.

If you've no luck with engineers, try 62 artillery as I heard they were taking on some recruits atm. They're based out in McKee barracks as well and train every second Tuesday. Their next training night is this Tuesday, so if you go down around 7.30pm, and again just say you're interested in joining reserve artillery, they'll confirm whether or not they're still taking on anyone.

The Unit Formerly Known As 7 FAR are now only parading every second week? Zounds.

Engineers parade on Thursdays, I believe. Good luck!

The Unit Formerly Known As 7 FAR are now only parading every second week? Zounds.

I think it's just recruits training every second week.

I think it's just recruits training every second week.

Ok, I'll leave it at that then, before people start getting upset.

By the way, I don't think I'm breaking any great secrecy here by telling the people who've expressed interest in joining the RDF to go do something about it *right now*, and if there's a waiting list at your first choice to *try other units who may have only a few people on the list* (hint, hint).

Advertisement