Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should MS Server still be controlling DNS / DHCP?

• 13-05-2014 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭

I've been mucking about with a few Server 2003 machines lately and I got to thinking....

Now that ADSL routers can control DHCP, should servers be acting as DHCP servers anymore?

I know back in 2003/2004 when the systems were in place, DSL with routers were not commonplace.... but they are now.

Just something that got me thinking

PS. I'm talking about a network with 15 machines max. and no scope for expansion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

ADSL routers as supplied for free by ISPs would be cut down to the bone often
    DHCP would have extra options , may not be available on freebie routers - sip server,ntp server,netboot etc

nice thing if you are messin around :

http://tftpd32.jounin.net

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

You cannot use a router for your internal network DNS server if you are using clients logging in to Microsoft Server Active Directory.If not logging to AD,please feel free...
    Microsoft AD DNS Server has built-in speciific to AD zones,records and SRV services that a normal router cannot provide.

Imagine the Kerberos / Password and the AD login server service...if you Windows 7 cannot find them,you'll experience a long delay at logging time and sometimes,users will not be able to login and/or find internal listed resources.

If you router can provide all these records,you are in luck... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Active Directory is very dependent on DNS. It's best to use MS DNS with AD integrated zones especially if you have multiple AD servers.

Advertisement